Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree912Likes

Thread: Resurgence of interest in the old "Three Oh"?

bumblefoot likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Sigh. They're called Lee-Enfields. Not Enfields. Never. You have to pronounce both of the words. Always goddamit. Dont be that American guy on youtube. Or just stick with three oh three.

I've just uploaded a new vid hunting for a goat with the old 303. I've got my Howa's; but still love using the old girl. It has history and character! I'm going to start handloading for it very soon

"Hunting with a 78 year old .303 British rifle. A hunt on my 59th birthday!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suAO86A8_3U&t=53s
    Tahr, HILLBILLYHUNTERS and Jhon like this.

My new baby! A BSA 1916 .303 SHTLE III* (FTR) Rifle; now sporting a Nikon 3-9x scope! Going to be so cool hunting with 106-year old rifle!

Name:  New 303.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  946.8 KB

Name:  303b.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  303 c.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  201.2 KB

Name:  303a.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  262.6 KB
    Last edited by bumblefoot; 24-05-2022 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    My new baby! A BSA 1916 .303 SHTLE III* (FTR) Rifle; now sporting a Nikon 3-9x scope! Going to be so cool hunting with 106-year old rifle!

Attachment 197612

Attachment 197614

Attachment 197617

Attachment 197622
    I think we need to get together and compare notes, tell lies etc as we're almost neighbours lol
    bumblefoot likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

What would happen if you took a SMLE and put a decent new modern barrel on it and used appropriate handloads and a half decent well mounted 'scope? What sort of accuracy would it be capable of? Easy MOA?

I would like to go back to the old 3-oh but wouldn't be able to tolerate that awful old 3moa group business.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    I think we need to get together and compare notes, tell lies etc as we're almost neighbours lol
    Should do eh. I still need to photograph that Lee Loader sheet for you. I keep forgetting; sorry
    Jhon likes this.

@Tahr Pretty good I'd say. My 1944 SMLE shoots 3" at 100yds (3 shots) and it only has a 16.5" barrel. I'm not a long range shooter. I do have a Howa 308 and a Howa mini 223; I call my 223 the freezer filler! But my Howas are my Toyota Corolla's; the 303's are me going for a spin in an old jalopy for the sheer hell of it. But really; for the vast majority of NZ hunting (unless you're a LR shooter) a 303 will do the job
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Should do eh. I still need to photograph that Lee Loader sheet for you. I keep forgetting; sorry
    Ha, thought I'd have to come knock on yer door:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    What would happen if you took a SMLE and put a decent new modern barrel on it and used appropriate handloads and a half decent well mounted 'scope? What sort of accuracy would it be capable of? Easy MOA?

I would like to go back to the old 3-oh but wouldn't be able to tolerate that awful old 3moa group business.
    Tahr, shoot your .303 unsupported and you won't mind or notice it's a 3 MOA rifle. The awful trigger alone will see to that.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Greetins All,
    I think I have part of the answer to that question. My No4 with a near new two groove barrel often shoots MoA groups with the 174 grain Round Nose Hornady and light loads. It is sensitive to different batches of those projectiles and needs a few shots to settle down after the fore end has been off. My son has requently fallen under the Lee Enfield spell via one with a like new .308 groove barrel and the .303 case. It will be interesting to see how this shoots. There are also some test loads made up to test how much difference there is between my 5 and two groove barrels. The loads have the 174 grain projectiles loaded to 76mm LOA giving a jump of 1.6mm in the two groove and 5.8mm in the 5 groove. Comparing different sets of .303 load data hows some considerable differences in velocity for the same load so this test looks at possible reasons why this is so. Will report results in due course.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I was given a long branch no 4 mk 1* it has had a barrel swap at some time and the bolt is also not original but it shoots very well my first 3 shot group at 100 yards blew me away at just over an inch with mill surp ammo using the aperture sight
    So yeah they can be very accurate with a good barrel
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

The big issue is that they don't tend to stay accurate. The bedding is so tenuous that the "tuning" drifts over time.

In the old NRA days of .303 shooting, the guys that won invariably had clever gunsmiths that could get them into tune. These days, TR shooters can buy damn near any second hand rifle and have a good chance if their skills are up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    The big issue is that they don't tend to stay accurate. The bedding is so tenuous that the "tuning" drifts over time.

In the old NRA days of .303 shooting, the guys that won invariably had clever gunsmiths that could get them into tune. These days, TR shooters can buy damn near any second hand rifle and have a good chance if their skills are up to it.
    Treat them like a bow, get closer
    Micky Duck, Cordite and rewa like this.