Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree912Likes

Thread: Resurgence of interest in the old "Three Oh"?

After picking up my 303 tonight , and reading this thread....'
    Im looking forward to putting a few rounds through my "new" 30
    Rees likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

might have to dust off my Churchill 303 sporter and scope the old bitch up
    Rees and Cordite like this.

I have my fathers .303 BSA re-barrel which he bought before I was born [now in my seventies ] Was first gun I used on big game,and I may take it out again.
    dogmatix and Micky Duck like this.

just stepping into the world of cast for the 303 as a plinking load, save the jackets for hunting- had no luck testing today but possibly running them too fast , will need to dick around with it more than i thought haha- soo it can wait for another day-
    still happy with the speer hot cor 311s and 174 ppsn 312s though.

Name:  IMG_3038.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  4.83 MBName:  IMG_3036.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  5.15 MBName:  IMG_3039.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  4.13 MBName:  IMG_3040.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  5.23 MB

This thread has been a nostalgia trip for me.Of the 5 .303's I own this one will be pried from my cold dead hands.

Looks abit dirty should cerakote it to tidy it up abit

Time to get back to reloading ammo for my old WW2 1944 No1 Mk3 SMLE Lee Enfield .303!

Name:  lee enfield.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  787.4 KB

Name:  rifle.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  105.8 KB

Name:  rifle 1.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  111.1 KB

This thread made me dig out my 1942 Long Branch ‘3-oh’ that had been sporterised and barrel shortened and what looks like a home made foresight, the rear is still has the two position battlesight.

Forgotten it has the two groove rifling (in average condition)

Were many two grooves made and what accuracy did they have?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    This thread made me dig out my 1942 Long Branch ‘3-oh’ that had been sporterised and barrel shortened and what looks like a home made foresight, the rear is still has the two position battlesight.

Forgotten it has the two groove rifling (in average condition) Were many two grooves made and what accuracy did they have?
    @grandpamac

No clue how many were made but from what I have read it was faster and easier to produce and apparently had minimal effects on accuracy (they still had to pass the same tests). But it must have made some difference because they went back to 6 groove eventually. Someone else will probably have real experience and advice on this

I've heard of some No 4 (T) two-groovers.

It was a manufacturing expediency to only cut two grooves, as rifling machines cut one groove at a time, but the two-groove barrels had to be shown to pass accuracy standards or this timesaving idea would simply not have been given approval.

Once button rifling came in, where each groove is made simultaneously by drawing or pushing a button through the barrel there was no advantage in two groove rifling. If anything, for button rifling it would take extreme force to make 2 deep+wide grooves rather than 5 or 6 small grooves.
    bumblefoot and Nzcoup1 like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Great thread - the 3 O is such a part of hunting history in NZ great to see such enthusiasm for the old rifles.

When my Dad died I ended up with his sporterized SMLE which he did a lot of hunting with in the 1950's to 1960's in Canterbury where he had access to a property in Lees Valley I think the owner of the property's name was Less Burnett. Dad used to reckon that in summer he would hop on his motor bike after knocking off work and ride up to the valley with the rifle over his back and reckon he could have a deer well before dark. It had a parker hale aperture site adjustable for windage and elevation, initially he shot it right hand, but when that eye weakened he swapped over and shot it left hand - something the feels so uncomfortable to me. Eventually he put a 4x Nikko Sterling scope on it that I gave him but I can't remember if he went back to shooting with his right eye. He could shoot pretty well with it - I can remember him knocking goats off a bluff up behind the bach shooting off his knees would have been 1970's - I have since ranged these at 400m+ he said he was taught to shoot when he had to do compulsory military training in the 1950's after leaving school.

It spent along time in the ceiling space above their garage - when I got the rifle I could see a long dark patch half way down the barrel and no amount of cleaning made any difference took it to the range and could hardly hit a A4 sheet of paper at 50m.

It would be cool to get the old cannon shooting again - could anyone suggest the best place to look at picking up a replacement barrel ?
    bumblefoot and hamish9701 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish9701 View Post
    No clue how many were made but from what I have read it was faster and easier to produce and apparently had minimal effects on accuracy (they still had to pass the same tests). But it must have made some difference because they went back to 6 groove eventually. Someone else will probably have real experience and advice on this
    Large quantities. Most of the savage no4s we’re 2 groovers. I have found that there is very little difference in accuracy out to about 500yds. There was a reasonable number of savage mk1*s which ended up in NZ service. The first ones delivered (3-4000)are easy to spot as they have the round cocking piece like an smle and are all Nz marked. It’s suggested that these arrived with US forces in around 42/43.
    They were not in common issue until the very end of the war and even then the smle remained the predominant rifle. Large shipments were received in 1946 & 1948 from commonwealth reserves.
    The early NZ marked 2 groovers regularly come up at auction and are very collectable.
    Of course many have been rebarrelled over the years.
    There are a couple of nice 2 groovers for sale at shooter ready in cambridge at the moment.
    bumblefoot and Finnwolf like this.

My 42 Longbranch No4Mk1* is 2 groove. Shoots stupidly accurately.

Here's my 1917 III* sporter mentioned earlier in the thread..

Name:  IMG_8356.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  3.50 MB
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    My 42 Longbranch No4Mk1* is 2 groove. Shoots stupidly accurately.

Here's my 1917 III* sporter mentioned earlier in the thread..

Attachment 175678
    Nice!
    My Mk111 looks just like yours, my sporterised Long Branch has a nicely made custom butt, unfortunately the comb is still too low. (As are normal Lee-Enfield)
    dogmatix likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’