Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree912Likes

Thread: Resurgence of interest in the old "Three Oh"?

Greetings All,
    What a great thread to brighten up what would have otherwise been a pretty slow day. I think we have all been a bit down at times over the lock down and anything that jiggles the brain cells around a bit is most welcome.
    Thanks Bumblefoot.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    jakewire, doinit and bumblefoot like this.

Bought a Parker Hale sporter with "Luminar" scope--brand new barrel,very nice "walnut" stock,5 round mag, when I was 17! Cost me 27 pounds 10 shillings ($55), Best bush gun I have ever used! Can honestly say I never had to chase a animal I knew I'd hit, used to reload Norma brass with 150gn softpoints and they were super effective!! When they connected which was most of the time--- man what a mess, Worst decision I ever made was to sell it a couple of years ago! Bought a real nice 7x57 BSA, lovely rifle but too long and clumsy in the bush we were hunting, have a 30/30 Marlin now, very good but not a patch on the old PH! Big regret!!!
    75 next birthday and having trouble with a hip so not getting out much now!
    jakewire, doinit, Tentman and 7 others like this.

Was just thinking that I started the thread the day before ANZAC day; how apt for the Three Oh!
    Cordite and grandpamac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I'd assumed the recent interest is as a substitute for MSSAs, although head to head semi 7.62x39 or 5.56 are better for rapid fire competition.
    "Bloke on the Range" did a recent video (2 wks ago) on full vs light loads and timed shooting. The rate of fire was surprisingly similar but the group was smaller with the light loads.

Firing fast from the bolt reaching the trigger with your middle finger seems to cause a 4-5 o'clock pattern.

bumblefoot likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Here is my first deer. Shot in 1986 with a Jungle Carbine and 20yr old CAC ammo.

Name:  Firstdeer.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  90.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    "Bloke on the Range" did a recent video (2 wks ago) on full vs light loads and timed shooting. The rate of fire was surprisingly similar but the group was smaller with the light loads.

Firing fast from the bolt reaching the trigger with your middle finger seems to cause a 4-5 o'clock pattern.

Didn’t have sound on but why did he only load one five round charger at a time instead of filling the mag with ten rounds (two chargers) each time?

on a similar note, would there have been any other round that has accounted for more game animals? From pigs to crocodiles to elephants?
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Terrible action, pathetic slow lock time, awful trigger creep. Probably the best NZ calibre for pigs matched with a poor rifle.
    And a host of memories for so many hunters who are very sentimental about it. It might be a sows ear but its main strength was that it never stopped working. It takes me back to when life was simpler.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Didn’t have sound on but why did he only load one five round charger at a time instead of filling the mag with ten rounds (two chargers) each time?
    Convention. The Lee Enfield's 10 shot magazine is really a 5 round magazine which can have 10 crammed in but does not do it too well.

Loading in the second 5 found charger is not smooth and slows you rather than just firing five and loading five, and as I said the rounds don't actually feed so nicely from a full 10 round magazine. So he starts out with 10, fires 10, and then loads 5 at a time.

The original mad minute I believe you start with 10+1, fire 6, [5 left] insert 5, fire 6,[4 left] insert 5, fire 6,[3 left] insert 5, fire 6,[2 left] insert 5, fire 6, [1 left] insert 5, fire 6... and you have an empty rifle and have fired 36 rounds.

In combat you'd start out with 10, and fire away, any chance you got you'd drop another charger of 5 in. The idea of the larger magazine seems to have been to ensure that there (usually) always will be space to take a whole charger.
    Finnwolf likes this.

In the last couple of years I seem to be accumulating various 303's.
    Not getting out to use them, just accumulating them lol
    have to change that-get out and about with some of the forum members I reckon
    bumblefoot and ROKTOY like this.

I've been shooting a light 303 load comprising 125's over 30 gns of Reloader 7, for about 2500 fps. VV N110 with the same charge works really nicely too, very low ES, good accuracy and about 2600 fps BUT use at your own risk, as its not a load from a manual (VV do list N110 for reduced laods with light projectiles).
    bumblefoot and Cordite like this.

Huk
    WHO IS THAT YOUNG FULLA HA HA@ Stug good 1
    stug likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I've been shooting a light 303 load comprising 125's over 30 gns of Reloader 7, for about 2500 fps. VV N110 with the same charge works really nicely too, very low ES, good accuracy and about 2600 fps BUT use at your own risk, as its not a load from a manual (VV do list N110 for reduced laods with light projectiles).
    What does "very low ES" mean? Erosion of my Shoulder ?

Useful idea what with all that 7.62 Soviet lying about uselessly with projectiles waiting to be pulled. Another niche use for the old 3-oh in cleaning up Cindy's mess.

Have thought of picking up a Ruger #1 in .303 if one came up for sale.
    The test reports indicated they were not that accurate.
    Has anybody got one and what is their experience of it?.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    What does "very low ES" mean? Erosion of my Shoulder ?

Useful idea what with all that 7.62 Soviet lying about uselessly with projectiles waiting to be pulled. Another niche use for the old 3-oh in cleaning up Cindy's mess.
    It's the variation in velocity. Much care must be taken when using these faster pistol powders and jacketed bullets (cast bullets are different again) It can result in massive pressure spikes. Much better to spend 30 cents a round on the correct rifle powders is 2206h or 2208 than have a bolt come back through your head!!!
    I would not recommend using the powder listed with jacketed projectiles and my strong advice is to never except any load data you see anywhere unless you verify it.