Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree912Likes

Thread: Resurgence of interest in the old "Three Oh"?

C'mon everyone..... No more pics of lovely 303's without an X-rated R18 warning please..... They are just too nice.......

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    C'mon everyone..... No more pics of lovely 303's without an X-rated R18 warning please..... They are just too nice.......
    Thank you Bumblefoot and Cordite,
    Yes it is something rather different isn't it. In spite of the rather unique stock I find it comfortable to shoot and the trigger (also altered) is quite reasonable. It also once belonged to a departed friend so it will not be sold? traded or given away at least not by me.
    Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    No resurgence... I never stopped!

I shoot it with BP loads, so it's a proper smoke-pole.
    Hey pal, do you use cast bullets? if so I am keen to pick your brains... I slugged my bore and from memory it was .313 or .314 so Ill need a large mould...
    bumblefoot likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Hey pal, do you use cast bullets? if so I am keen to pick your brains... I slugged my bore and from memory it was .313 or .314 so Ill need a large mould...
    Greetings 40 mm,
    I did a little bit with cast bullets over 40 years ago with limited success (due to my profound ignorance at the time). I am thinking of getting back into it. I still have a couple of 30 calibre moulds so will probably start with them, I don't think I would go as far as Mimms2 with black powder though
    Grandpamac.
    40mm likes this.

Talking about 40 years ago, it always amuses me when people get anxious at ranges over 300 yards
    40 years ago as a kid I shot a 30 through peep sights at 300, 600, and 900 yards every week over summer
    Every now and then I could get on the target at 900 :-)
    Despite being tiny (8 stone say) I never had any trouble with a flinch although my shoulder knew I'd done 20 rounds...
    It's all good

No, thankfully cheap shit jacketed 150gn SPs shoot as accurately as the gun does. They're probably pretty soft lead, and the jacket forms the "gas check" so in a way... kind of.
    I can't remember what the bore mik'd at, and 174gn wont shoot for shit in it, so it's really about finding something yours likes.

is it shooternz on here who does boolits? Seen the name mentioned a few times.

Yeah, brass but plate and full house loads are pretty punishing. I added a limbsaver to "fix" length of pull, adding about 1.5" and it also makes it a joy to shoot even with factory. BP is a nice soft whumpf.
    Once upon a time I shot 900 with aperture sights, all rounds in 36". .303 Creedmore
    .303 Creedmoor! I like it. As modern as tomorrow compared to the original 44-60 and 44-100 Creedmoor cartridges from around 1880.
    Grandpamac.

I had never heard of them. .44 (minie ball?) in front of 100gn BP would have done the business!
    The projectile was 520 to 550 grains and shot over long range out to 1,000 yards on the Creedmoor Range in New York. Velocity was 1,300 to 1,400 fps. Similar to the cartridges used in the US now for black powder metallic silhouette which is shot out to 500 metres.
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

my beloved.303 no4 mk1 is the quen of my collection-I do not give a iota of avian fornication regarding opinions about its deficiencies or age cause if i have to reach for it -tis a bloody serious issue and whats more when ilet a 180gn soft nose go off a short run up aint ever seen anyone (even a bloody aussie) wanna take on the wicketkeeper job.
    I dontfirethe old sheila often but when i do wow the result is pretty spectacular !!
    No its not for sale-its my version of an 18"naval gun!!
    add to my collection -a 7.57 mauser -mate had a mannlicher schoaneur with 4x81 pecar scope -butter on a hot knife
    the immortal 7.62x51 SLR-heavy as fuck but as reliaible as a D8 dozer-plus its company for the big sis .303
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    The projectile was 520 to 550 grains and shot over long range out to 1,000 yards on the Creedmoor Range in New York. Velocity was 1,300 to 1,400 fps. Similar to the cartridges used in the US now for black powder metallic silhouette which is shot out to 500 metres.
    Grandpamac.
    so along the lines of the .45/90 and the .45/110 just slightly skinnier barrel ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so along the lines of the .45/90 and the .45/110 just slightly skinnier barrel ???????
    Yes Micky,
    The 44-100 Remington (Creedmoor) was a specialty load of the 44-90 Remington Straight intended for long range shooting, out to 1,400 yards. It had a 2.6 inch case. One of the go to cartridges for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette shooting is the 45-90 aka 45-82 and 45-85 Winchester which has a 2.4 inch case. They shoot at silhouette's out to 500 metres (standing at 200 metres and prone with a crossed stick rest for the longer ranges) with iron sights. There is a class using period style scope sights for the old fudds as well. Black powder shooting is a rabbit hole I have not gone down, at least not yet.
    Regards Grandpamac.

7.7 Creedmoor, anyone? let's keep it metric and modern!

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    SAAMI may accept 7.7x56R Victoria
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Lets all remember that the 7.7 x 56 mm cartridge aka .303 was designed as a metric rimless cartridge by a Major Rubin in Switzerland. The only input the Brits had was to put a rim on it.
    Grandpamac.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Saw this on TM today; interesting. A rebarrelled Number 4 Mk2 .303 in excellent condition. Damn expensive; but interesting never the less!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...ng/2937886324?

This springs to mind............

Name:  tell him hes dreaming.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  73.4 KB

as does over capitalisation ..........May i be proven wrong.