Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree912Likes

Thread: Resurgence of interest in the old "Three Oh"?

Thanks; the one I bought has a large and small at either end..... As fr the calipers; it's just to measure the overall bullet length when seating projectiles. I didn't need one before as the 174gr RN I used previously had a cannelure, so made it easier! I've got Speer hot cor 150's but may try the 180gr Sierra Spitzer Hunter as it'll have longer legs than the round nose. Can't wait! gotta give my mate's Creedmoor a run for its money....
    Last edited by bumblefoot; 11-09-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Greetings Bumblefoot,
    Just spotted your post about your Lee Loader. Your .167 powder measure has 98% of the capacity of the 2.8cc powder measure that the Lee chart will give. This should give 37.5 grains of AR2208 (Varget) or 37.6 grains of AR2206H (H4895). 37.5 grains of AR2208 is about the start load for the 174 and 180 grain projectiles and should give around 2,300 fps. For the 150 grain projectile 37.6 grains of AR2206H is a mid load that should give around 2,500 fps. In my .303 I have tried 32 grains of AR2206H with the 174 grain RN that produces a little under 2,100 fps. I am thinking of working up to 34 grains which should give about 2,200 fps. I also tried 34 grains of AR2206H with the 150 grain which gave around 2,050 fps. I am thinking of bumping this load up a couple of grains as well. Both loads shot quite well for an almost 80 year old rifle and a 2.5 power scope and not too far apart either. Happy days loading for your 7.7mm rimmed Creedmoor.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

"7.7mm rimmed Creedmoor" My old girl's new name! It shoots Highland 150's into 3" at 100m. I think it will do better because that's with a Weaver 2.5x scope and I'm the weakest link in the chain because 2.5x is a bit of a stretch for my 58-year old eyes. . I'm putting a 3-9 Nikon on it next week. I bought a box of PPU 180gr just to see how it shoots them. I bought a Hornady Balance Beam Scale; should arrive next week. Getting hold of powder is the biggest hold-up at the moment. But all good; I've got factory rounds to play with
    Jhon, Cordite and mimms2 like this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Hang on to the PPU brass, its good stuff.
    dogmatix and bumblefoot like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    Hang on to the PPU brass, its good stuff.
    I have been as that's what I'd read

@mimms2 Brilliant idea. I'd forgotten that the case is out of the die when seating the projectile. So I can loosen it off after putting the factory round in, put the bullet presser thingy in and screw down until it touches the projectile and then tighten it up1 Geez I'm a dumbarse sometimes! I suppose I could seat a 150 and 180 projectile in a case with no powder or primer and keep them with the Lee Loader as models for when I change the projectiles from 150-180. The old KISS method!
    Jhon likes this.

some of us decide seating depth that way ALL THE TIME....and have done for 30 plus years.
    I place loaded round in shell holder and lift ram to top of stroke,then start screwing die in untill the handle twitches. the projectile will be touching at this point. this assumes you have already sorted all cases to correct length. and you are screwing in the top of die not die body itself....BUT when I seating the fencepost 170grn loads in 270 I have to back main body of die well out to make things fit.... they just too fat up front for normal methods LOL.
    bumblefoot likes this.

@Micky Duck It was so blindingly obvious it probably says something about my intelligence that I hadn't thought of it before!

the day we stop learning,is the day we start to die.
    bumblefoot likes this.

One step closer to reloading for my 7.7mm Rimmed Creedmoor..... Scored some powder and some 180gr Sierra Pro Hunter projectiles.....

Name:  303b.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  56.9 KB
    norsk and Jhon like this.

love that companies mission statement...Hodgdon is good stuff to use...and you have data online at fingertips. have fun and be careful....yes you can do both at same time.
    bumblefoot likes this.

@Micky Duck Will do. I haven't done any reloading for nearly 30-years. I'm quite excited to be getting back into it. I have used H4831 before in my old 270. I used IMR4895 in the 303 behind the Hornady 174gr RN

Name:  303c.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  303d.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  92.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    love that companies mission statement...Hodgdon is good stuff to use...and you have data online at fingertips. have fun and be careful....yes you can do both at same time.
    And yet they have never been a powder manufacturer but a powder distributor that has bought up the manufacturers. Same old story, does not pay so well to be a primary producer, the money is at the top of the food chain.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

38.4grns fit in a 2.8CC spoon so your one will be fly shit under that....so ideal for the 150...and POSSIBLY just little too much for 180 so you could decrease slightly...a small piece of cardboard in bottom of cup will reduce volume..... scales would be ideal but that would be rough enough.... caution as per always.
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 14-09-2021 at 06:14 PM.