Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree912Likes

Thread: Resurgence of interest in the old "Three Oh"?

there were limited numbers of left hand SMLEs if my memory serves me correctly.

I had a vague recollection that "303" meant something to me Had to go well down into the old chocolate box to find this.

john m, bunji, Marty Henry and 3 others like this.

Here is a picture of my two 303's top one is the miss matched numbered one the other is the Isophore 1942 No 1 MK111 as I found out it has matching numbers on bolt ,action, magazine and presume the barrel but can't see as its under wood.Name:  P1030253.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  3.41 MBName:  P1030255.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  3.81 MB
    john m, bunji, bumblefoot and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I had a vague recollection that "303" meant something to me Had to go well down into the old chocolate box to find this.

Nice one Bruce, worth rummaging through the old chocolate box for those old pictures. Back in the "old" days my old instamatic was next to useless and I missed out on many good photo's.
    bumblefoot and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    One is allowed to dream. (o:

Attachment 137867

Question is, IS IT possible? Cut off right side handle and reattach to left side. Would just have to get used to up = locked and down = unlocked. The safety catch would be sacrificed but no one relies on it nowadays, open bolt or not safe. The LE bolt handle does not function as a last ditch locking lug. If you have an old sporter... why not get the dremel out? Or am I insane @gundoc?
    @Cordite a quick think about it would suggest that while you could just cut and shut the bolt, the physical clockwise action of closing the bolt couldn't be changed that easily. You would then have a bolt that would be pointing straight up when you were ready to fire.
    don't know about a left handed one. Doubt if they did it for the military-you were just trained to use it the way it was designed. I cant remember the source but it suggested that the majority of soldiers weren't familiar with firearms anyway so it is less of an issue to teach a lefty to shoot right handed then make a bunch of rifles for a minority
    Did find this comment on another forum:

"There were no left handed service rifles, leftys became proficient at using the rifle in right handed fashion under the gentle ministrations of Sergeants and other Non-Coms. I have seen a 303 from Qld at the Nationals where the bolt handle had been extended and bent back over the striker in such a fashion as to be readily manipulated with the left hand without having to reach over the stock or moving the head too much, and this enabled the shooter to use the left shoulder with ease."

One is allowed to dream. (o:.............
    Perhaps, but the photo shopped image appears to show an American WW 1 M1907 leather sling............... Let's stick with the webbing if we can. :>)
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Cordite a quick think about it would suggest that while you could just cut and shut the bolt, the physical clockwise action of closing the bolt couldn't be changed that easily. You would then have a bolt that would be pointing straight up when you were ready to fire.
    don't know about a left handed one. Doubt if they did it for the military-you were just trained to use it the way it was designed. I cant remember the source but it suggested that the majority of soldiers weren't familiar with firearms anyway so it is less of an issue to teach a lefty to shoot right handed then make a bunch of rifles for a minority
    Did find this comment on another forum:

"There were no left handed service rifles, leftys became proficient at using the rifle in right handed fashion under the gentle ministrations of Sergeants and other Non-Coms. I have seen a 303 from Qld at the Nationals where the bolt handle had been extended and bent back over the striker in such a fashion as to be readily manipulated with the left hand without having to reach over the stock or moving the head too much, and this enabled the shooter to use the left shoulder with ease."
    Ah... but the beauty of a Lee action is that its bolt handle does not stick directly up at any time. The Lee's 60 degree lift (/) from the closed position (\) means you never need to lose the sight picture when racking the bolt. I say "need to" because anyone who's shot a Mauser quickly learns to lift their face off the rifle when pulling the bolt back, and with that bad habit in place you never realise that with the Lee you can just keep your head down. Also why you don't need a bent-down bolt handle to use a scope on a Lee Enfield.

I suppose you could manufacture a clamp-on bolt handle cross-extension to the other side, thus avoiding the dremel-&-weld scenario. A variation on this guy's device: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzJdMc0Mpyg

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Perhaps, but the photo shopped image appears to show an American WW 1 M1907 leather sling............... Let's stick with the webbing if we can. :>)
    Aaagh, I've been found out. I confess, Windows "Paintbrush" horizontal flip, but nowhere near adobe photoshop. (o;
    bumblefoot likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

northdude
    Name:  20200419_151627 (1).jpg
Views: 402
Size:  3.63 MB heres mine i can shoot the 3 better than the 4 but still need some practice

Vulcan Barrels has just brough in a heap of 303 gun drills and buttons to make 303 barrels more easily.
    I recall maybe left hand twist to be authentic
    bumblefoot, Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.

Great to see they are still running and doing the business. I had a few shots with one around Christmas with ammo marked 1911! It would have struggled to hit a barn door with the almost smooth bore and ancient ammo, but it was an experience nonetheless.

I also had the privilege to be a part of a sniper specific battlefield tour to Ypres and Paschendale, where the first British sniper school was established. The range butts are still discernible, and we even found some projectiles there. To think some of these rifles are still active is amazing. Good on all who run them.
    bunji, bumblefoot and Cordite like this.

hmmmName:  left hand 3o.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  712.9 KB

One is allowed to dream. (o:

Attachment 137867

Question is, IS IT possible? Cut off right side handle and reattach to left side. Would just have to get used to up = locked and down = unlocked. The safety catch would be sacrificed but no one relies on it nowadays, open bolt or not safe. The LE bolt handle does not function as a last ditch locking lug. If you have an old sporter... why not get the dremel out? Or am I insane @gundoc?
    Nothing is impossible but it certainly is impractical! I think the reversed photo is affecting you!

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @ROKTOY the way i'm going I will probably have a spare one for you.
    If you ever find yourself over run with them, let me know, I could foster one of them for you. Might go browse the For Sale section now.

@ROKTOY there is a couple on there. A pair with only one bolt in the NI for not bad money
    ROKTOY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Only 12 months guarantee??? They last a lot longer. Haha!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch