Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Serious Warning. Zombie disease hits 24 States in USA and Canada.

I wonder if its been a part of those herds for a very long time?

Woody, 1080 will fix it.

Probably caused it? The dying looks just as painful!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Well; whatever it is; I hope it never gets into NZ. I really dont think its a laughing matter.

It's possible, we never had Didymo and they think that came in on felt soled wading boots from an oversea's angler.
    With all the oversea's trophy hunters coming in to shoot it's could happen with this shit.

I see there's another fruit fly outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    It's possible, we never had Didymo and they think that came in on felt soled wading boots from an oversea's angler.
    With all the oversea's trophy hunters coming in to shoot it's could happen with this shit.

I see there's another fruit fly outbreak.
    My understanding of it is that it is spinal cord areas with the highest concentrations and direct contact that is the main contributing spreading factor. I think we should be relatively safe here given our geographic and bio-security measures.

yeah gotta agree with berg243, can't stop fruit flys , spiders , the odd snake, rock snot or farmers bringing in a virus..........this shit could get here.

Saw an update on this from Fox news this morning. Transport of deer and deer products across 16 State borders now restricted. Apparently deer or parts of deer infect soil for very long periods. They again suggest it may be transmitted to humans. There aremajor concerns about impacts on the hunting industry of hundreds of million of dollars.
    Just be aware chaps and chapesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako851 View Post
    Apparently they have sent out a few culling teams. They are reporting that lung shots are not dropping them. Head shots seem to be working though
    If that fails i hear the labotomizer entrenching tool works well on any zombie (WWZ joke there)

Yeah. Ww1 trench warfare our guys started to prefer using spades as close combat weapons actually. Must have been horrible.

Banned
    CWD is a prion disease. A Prion is a piece of viral DNA that can infect a virus and cause it to replicate the Prion. The problems with this are that it is not possible to vaccinate against it and a prion can survive in the environment for a long time undetected
    and still be infectious.
    Soil from a country with CWD Prions can come here on boots (Hiker or Hunter) , a prion falls off the boot onto NZ soil. The Prion is then taken up by a plant palatable to deer. A deer eats that plant and we have CWD
    BSE was another Prion disease (Kuru or Creitzveld Jacob (spelling?)). It jumped species from Humans to cattle and was spread via infected tissue in feed (meat-meal) and through infected animals giving birth to infected young. The common source was always quoted as Scrapie from sheep, however if this were the case then there would have been outbreaks of scrapie in sheep fed with the same concentrate feeds containing meat-meal that infected cattle.
    I digress, LSS if it gets here buy shares in coal mines. Don't know what the MPI border protection position is regarding footwear in luggage from infected countries.
    CWD originated from a deer research program / station that I think was run Montana from memory. Animals were fed feeds containing meat-meal and a little prion decided to cause a new disease
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 15-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Strummer likes this.

I have reported it to MPI. I hope they go on alert.

So if you wanted to bring a trophy back or skin how would they go about decontamination of these items?

Just finished washing all my items that are coming with me tomorrow
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Not sure; perhaps with radiation, but best you can do is declare where youve been. I used to akways go via the agricultural security. The checks are good and throughput much quicker than regular queues.

Year I always walk through there and declare.
    Just interested if anyone new the procedure for bring back trophies like heads and skins.

I know when I brought back a Massi Knife which has a skin sheath they gamma irradiation to treat that and a few masks from the Congo.
    They seemed happy with that. I was also relieved as I didn’t want to bring something into the country that could be a health, environmental or economic risk.
    Just wondering if it was the same for trophies that’s all.

We at present in the UK must be careful when coming back from hunting boar in France as they have African swine fever. So it wash all boots and clothes that come in contact with boar.
    Woody likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.