Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Tahr foundation petition and court action

Quote Originally Posted by DBL View Post
    Heard two seperate reports that Tahrmageddon 2.0 has already started and that the Rangitata population has been obliterated. Can anyone one on here confirm if this is true?

Not going to argue that in parts the Rangitata population needed to brought down BUT it will be truly sad if the "obliteration/annihilation" account is true as this would have to be one of the more popular valleys for the recreational Tahr hunter and where many of us first cut our teeth on Tahr.
    I heard bill hales shot 1600 in two days Up there not sure when it was though might have been before lockdown

there have been a fair few helicopters around Geraldine this weekend.....

I thought the court injunction put this on hold two Fridays ago until heard in court??

Nah, DOC agreed to avoid shooting in the nat parks until after the court case, but that was all. They’ll be wanting to get as much as possible done everywhere else in case they don’t get a favourable result in court. Can’t un-shoot the ones they’ve already shot..

So the cull has already started

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    So the cull has already started
    Not on the coast. It has been either screaming easterly or pissing down. They may have got one day in at the most and the guys I know who were going to do it, didnt fly on the good day we had as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    Attachment 144258
    Machine still appears to do some work around Mt Cook all the same - that was 6 mths ago. Wonder if it will get a new paint job with the new owner?
    Now that I’ve seen it up close I know exactly who owns it..... this guy
    Name:  6C8D3D99-6C32-4E1A-923B-E646B22179DF.jpeg
Views: 465
Size:  183.2 KB
    Snowgrass likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr300WSM View Post
    Now that I’ve seen it up close I know exactly who owns it..... this guy
    Attachment 144313
    Those BLOODY MURPHY'S!!!!!!

as Wal footrot would say.
    Maybe Murray Ball modeled Elvis Murphy off Bill Hales
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Nah, DOC agreed to avoid shooting in the nat parks until after the court case, but that was all. They’ll be wanting to get as much as possible done everywhere else in case they don’t get a favourable result in court. Can’t un-shoot the ones they’ve already shot..
    And thats exactly the way labour have been doing with anything slightly controversial. Get in quick and do the damage before any democratic process can take place and is ruled they cant do it. To late once its done, get a little smack on the hand, carry on until the next one.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr300WSM View Post
    I heard bill hales shot 1600 in two days Up there not sure when it was though might have been before lockdown
    He must have moved his chopper then as he is a neighbour and regularly flies over our house, never met the guy and hear nothing good about him no scruples at all.

BSA
    Was talking to a bloke yesterday who reckons the damage to the Tahr Herd has already been done with last years cull. A lot of flying recently and they are not seeing any nannies/juveniles, only bulls. They start shooting this week. Reading the comment about the Rangitata I fear it is too little too late with the Court Case, unless like last time with the Save Our Tahr campaign a Moratorium can be attained to let the numbers build up. A very sad time for Game Animals in NZ and I fear this will be but the beginning. Remember Molesworth Staion and the Deer/1080 "Experiment" and now Tahrmageddon 2. Hard times ahead for the Hunting Community and the animals. Without getting political it is now or never for us all to stick together and be very vocal about it.
    Moa Hunter and DBL like this.

R93
    The reduction in nannies has been evident to me since AATH became legal. It has definitely got worse since last year. I agree the damage has already been done. If the cull is stopped we may get a few good years chasing bulls but after that I think we will see a problem.

Was out last week with some old mates for a week in an area I havent hunted thar before. We seen quite a few bulls around the 12" mark. I seen 1 that may have gone 13 and a half.
    I only seen one nanny all week. Not many seen at all by 3 others. Bulls still hanging out together etc. Asked buy a pilot who didnt fly us in, how we got on and when I said we seen fuck all females he said Ha! I can show you a video of us tonging them up in there from last year.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    JoshC and DBL like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yep no nannies means no breeding , over the next 3,4,5 years the remaining Bulls will get picked off and the Tahr herd will be in a very sad state. I fear also that a huge amount of damage has already been done by the previous Cull .

Out of interest I emailed Swazi through their website to see if I could get a comment out of them. Didn't really expect a response so was surprised that this arrived in my inbox today.

Hi Gary

Thanks for your email.

We’re about ready to release our fundraising efforts to help with campaign, this should go out today or tomorrow.

I have just actually flown out of the mountains where I spent the last 7 days Tahr hunting, to say its a real passion of mine is an understatement.

We will also be actively seeking various media to talk to about the plan from the Minister.

Thanks again for your email mate, we will fight this and we will prevail.

Kind regards

Nga Mihi
    Davey Hughes

Righto guys. This needs to go viral. Share it far and wide, come and join in.
    https://facebook.com/events/s/mt-coo...049615/?ti=icl

For all of you that don’t do face book, it’s s peaceful drive up the Mt Cook Road on the 17.
    7mmwsm, Mohawk .308 and DBL like this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...