Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree324Likes

Thread: Takeing people hunting from the forum

So I am one of the hunters sometimes1 has taken out. Firstly I hope I am not one of the miserable bastards he has taken out and wasted his time hahahahahah. Secondly, I think he is being very modest - he is a great hunter, his dogs are well trained (and lovely natures to boot), and I have seen first hand some cracking shots (as well as pics of groupings from his time at the range). Was so awesome that he would volunteer to take me along to some of his favourite spots, and share his knowledge, advice, and give me a good feed too.

Big up to you mate - you did the hunting fraternity in NZ proud!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by miklinza View Post
    So I am one of the hunters sometimes1 has taken out. Firstly I hope I am not one of the miserable bastards he has taken out and wasted his time hahahahahah. Secondly, I think he is being very modest - he is a great hunter, his dogs are well trained (and lovely natures to boot), and I have seen first hand some cracking shots (as well as pics of groupings from his time at the range). Was so awesome that he would volunteer to take me along to some of his favourite spots, and share his knowledge, advice, and give me a good feed too.

Good on ya pal.
    SlimySquirrel and miklinza like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I took a few forum members(newbys) on hunts when the forum was in its infancy.
    Hunts ranged from private property drag it to the ute style to very big day public land style.
    Everyone I took was very keen to get out there and see how it was done and be involved with the butchering and tho a few shit themselves at realising the distance needed to walk they did it without complaining.

Always good to get non hunters hunting just be sure to hunt ethically and set the example.
    Pretty sure i complained a lot but verbalising it when struggling to get enough air was a whole different thing!! BUT you did manage to get me hunting again
    veitnamcam and rewa like this.

Top stuff @sometimes1 I think you underestimate yourself as I enjoy reading your posts and judging by what I see and read and your willingness to help Newbees out I think you deserve a pat on the back. To any future Newbees out there just remember these guys are going out of there way to show , help, teach you about hunting and our great outdoors.
    After looking at some of the meals sometimes1 has posted there is no way any body would go hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by miklinza View Post

top bloke that sometimes fella a no frills character with some great stories....... @sometimes1 , still negotiating some time away but next time i get to bump into ya i have convinced the old boy he doesnt need to camp next to the longdrop......or maybe i will bring along a younger keener bloke
    bumblefoot and sometimes1 like this.

Well @sometimes1 looks like the overwhelming response in just 3 hours after posting is your on the right track.
    Just stick with it! You sound like your on the right track

God I wonder what those NZDA hunt courses are like interesting to be a fly on the wall ah
    Well we all need to start somewhere.
    There was a program that was posted on here where a young falla took a dump on the track outside of the hut at night did they shame him in the morning not to badly but at lest he won’t be doing that again

When doing Overlanding in Africa on the first night i had to show people how to put up tents.
    First bush camp and I’d show them how to take a dump in the bush.....NO not literally (they didn’t pay that much for the trips)

Was always a shame on how many left toilet paper floating around. In the end I’d just say right this morning we have 400km to cover and we are not moving till all that toilet paper is picked up and this camping spot is spotless!
    I’d then go tinker on the truck till it was sorted! Usually for the first few times it would always be the same people that were out doing the clean up, which you could well guess where not the ones that made the mess! So I’d collar them and say I need a hand with such and such.
    In the end I’d just name and shame! But sometimes you just can’t help some people? There just not cutout for life
    These were the ones that would opened the door to get closer to the cute little elephants to take a better photo funny they never need that loo paper on the run back to the truck
    veitnamcam, Mooseman, rewa and 1 others like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Keep it up sometimes. As a recipient of some help from a forum member early on in my hunting career, I can say it's a bloody big help for somone like myself who was out there learning by failing.

Some people just aren't cut out for it, that will always be the reality, but for those of us willing to grind it out and put in the work a bit of a nudge in the right direction can make all the difference.

I'm at the point now where I can pay it forward and have my last 2 hunts taken complete newbies out and sent them home with full freezers and some bloody good stories
    veitnamcam, mikee, Gibo and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Shit, oh well I suppose it had to happen sooner or later Cross breeding with those buggers in the north
    Do I hear a Banjo ?...and if I'd known it was your mother.......
    Beaker, Gibo, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes1 View Post
    I have bad dyslexia so my english is poor its hard for me to wright down things
    You write just fine, straight from the heart, great post.
    Beaker, Ingrid 51, bigbear and 1 others like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Only ever been hunting with one person from here and he is a bloody good bugger, look forward to our next hunt.
    You will always encounter a few dick heads no matter what your hobby. I try to be fairly selective about who I hunt with and sus them out fairly thoroughly before agreeing to go on their hunts or invite them on my hunts. Passed up plenty of opportunity's to hunt good land cause the people didn't feel right to me. Can't pick em all though, just chalk em up to experience

I've been for a couple of walks with @Moa Hunter, a good bugger who is happy to share his wealth of knowledge (of hunting as well as Scarlett Johansen)
    Cordite likes this.

northdude
    Ive taken a few out as well some are keen and carry on and go well some of them obviously need to bring their mum with them some think you walk for half an hour and shoot something then go home to get back on the playstation some u don't actually know why they bother i feel more like the babysitter as time goes on i think we are breeding the man out of the men my daughter would put a lot of guys to shame
    mikee, Carpe Diem, rewa and 1 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    my daughter would put a lot of guys to shame
    Snap. my daughter has done more blokey things than her Male friends.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I took a fella from the other forum for a hunt to get his first chamois. Went up lake Sumner and I made the effort to get my boat up to loch Katrine so we could hunt the far side of the lake, got him a chamois and even did a bit of fishing on the lake on the way out the next day, caught a couple of beauty browns. Decided to leave my boat at loch katrine for the night when we came out as since it was up there would be a good opportunity to bring the mrs up the next day for some RnR on the lake.
    Well this fuckwit obviously decided to return the favor I had done by coming back with his mates that night as the next day my boat was stripped, outboard and all electrics gone, fishfinder gone and all my gear I had in the boat. Bloke pretty much incriminated himself by disconnecting his phone and disappearing off the face of the earth. All I knew about him is he was a builder from the north island down for the chch rebuild, and his name was Will (aparently)
    SlimySquirrel likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I took a fella from the other forum for a hunt to get his first chamois. Went up lake Sumner and I made the effort to get my boat up to loch Katrine so we could hunt the far side of the lake, got him a chamois and even did a bit of fishing on the lake on the way out the next day, caught a couple of beauty browns. Decided to leave my boat at loch katrine for the night when we came out as since it was up there would be a good opportunity to bring the mrs up the next day for some RnR on the lake.
    Well this fuckwit obviously decided to return the favor I had done by coming back with his mates that night as the next day my boat was stripped, outboard and all electrics gone, fishfinder gone and all my gear I had in the boat. Bloke pretty much incriminated himself by disconnecting his phone and disappearing off the face of the earth. All I knew about him is he was a builder from the north island down for the chch rebuild, and his name was Will (aparently)
    That is totally shit
    And that is why we all get a bit wary of complete stranger wanting us to "help them out"