Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree324Likes

Thread: Takeing people hunting from the forum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I've been for a couple of walks with @Moa Hunter, a good bugger who is happy to share his wealth of knowledge (of hunting as well as Scarlett Johansen)
    Kind words from Strummer, but really it is me who has gained. Of the five members from this Forum who have come and used my range all are outstanding men and I am grateful for having met them. Much better men they are than I would meet in my ordinary day to day life. I have been lucky to be invited on an overnight hunt with Akaroa 1, a very clever, generous and deep thinking man. My thoughts on this thread are that I would not take a 'new to hunting' person out for a hunt without first spending a little time at a range of some sort and making sure that they understand and are imprinted with safe firearms handling. The rewards to ourselves for helping others gather and take home food for their families are great.
    deer243, Beaker, Strummer and 1 others like this.

That sucks about the boat. Parking at Loch Katrine is fairly high risk though to be fair...my mate has had his truck broken into twice there, within the last year. The clowns who did it the second time actually drove from a long way away to do it, unfortunately the area has a reputation now as an easy target among thieves. The scumbags went straight to McDonalds, used his credit card, got caught on camera...and stright back to jail. These guys had only just got out of the big house too! #facepalm
    Moa Hunter and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I took a fella from the other forum for a hunt to get his first chamois. Went up lake Sumner and I made the effort to get my boat up to loch Katrine so we could hunt the far side of the lake, got him a chamois and even did a bit of fishing on the lake on the way out the next day, caught a couple of beauty browns. Decided to leave my boat at loch katrine for the night when we came out as since it was up there would be a good opportunity to bring the mrs up the next day for some RnR on the lake.
    Well this fuckwit obviously decided to return the favor I had done by coming back with his mates that night as the next day my boat was stripped, outboard and all electrics gone, fishfinder gone and all my gear I had in the boat. Bloke pretty much incriminated himself by disconnecting his phone and disappearing off the face of the earth. All I knew about him is he was a builder from the north island down for the chch rebuild, and his name was Will (aparently)
    Sorry to hear about yr boat Ryan,those bastards need tied to a tree over winter down in Westland and forgotten about.I worked in chch for 7 yrs on the rebuild.You couldnt turn yr back on yr small bag tools you carried around with you for 2 minuts.Some bastard would be eyeing it up.I had the lettering F/O written on everything.Its got a few laughs from the overseas boys,but nobody would touch withing asking.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Only ever been hunting with one person from here and he is a bloody good bugger, look forward to our next hunt.
    You will always encounter a few dick heads no matter what your hobby. I try to be fairly selective about who I hunt with and sus them out fairly thoroughly before agreeing to go on their hunts or invite them on my hunts. Passed up plenty of opportunity's to hunt good land cause the people didn't feel right to me. Can't pick em all though, just chalk em up to experience
    Yep, best to wait and suss people out.

If they're genuine, they will want to be helpful where they can and show patience and good humour.
    rugerman, rewa and dannyb like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Yes in these days don’t we all need a little humour
    Husky1600 and rewa like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

57JL
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Bullshit, I've seen manbuns in CHCH, clear proof that contamination has spread to the mainland.
    yep the sheep population in the south island has diminished: quite a bit compared to the good old days when men were men and sheep were nervous
    7mm Rem Mag, rewa and sometimes1 like this.

Most of these stories (except for the theft ones) are better than when I was pighunting and took a few (so called reputable) pighunters out to my possies. I gave up because you could guarantee they would either be ringing the farmer up the next week or poaching those possies.....

One snuck out to the place; got his 4x4 stuck, "borrowed" the farmer's tractor and rolled it into the river..... And then told the farmer that I had told them that it was ok to go there.....

Another came out with me (a mate of the guy I hunted with), and while I was talking to the farmer he made himself as small as possible in the landrover seat. I wondered why the cocky was a bit short. The answer came that night when the farmer rung me up and ripped a strip off me for bringing that "poaching c**t" onto his farm... Turned out him and a few mates and been there the week before with their dogs rounding up all the wild goats and trucking them away. Oh; and had only recently helped clean out most of the local woolsheds....

I took a fella from the other forum for a hunt to get his first chamois. Went up lake Sumner and I made the effort to get my boat up to loch Katrine so we could hunt the far side of the lake, got him a chamois and even did a bit of fishing on the lake on the way out the next day, caught a couple of beauty browns. Decided to leave my boat at loch katrine for the night when we came out as since it was up there would be a good opportunity to bring the mrs up the next day for some RnR on the lake.
    Well this fuckwit obviously decided to return the favor I had done by coming back with his mates that night as the next day my boat was stripped, outboard and all electrics gone, fishfinder gone and all my gear I had in the boat. Bloke pretty much incriminated himself by disconnecting his phone and disappearing off the face of the earth. All I knew about him is he was a builder from the north island down for the chch rebuild, and his name was Will (aparently)
    Maybe you you could post his forum handle here? Some of us old buggers might know him or of him. May association with the other forum (and this one) goes right back.
    Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.

Ive taken many forum members out for a hunt. Years ago through the old forum I probably took 20 people out hunting over the years. I always stipulated that I would only take people who had never shot a deer before - so quite a few shot their first deer with me. And a few from here over the last few years. My son craigc has been good about taking out forum members from here too.

Never been burnt or had a negative experience.

One trip through the old forum I took a group up Rangi. One chap had enough shit tied to the outside of his pack to sink a ship and he looked very unfit. I kidded him to leave sone stuff behind but his pack was still far too heavy. Anyway, he chucked it in half way up to the hut and couldn't go any further so I had to carry his pack down to the car and help him down. He grabbed a beer as soon as he got to his car and I left him asleep on the back seat. Then I had to turn around and go back up. The next day he made it up to the hut without a pack and walked down with the rest of us when we got back to the hut.

Another time I had a young forum chap with me and got him lined up on a deer at 250 yards in the Ruahines. I said I would back him up and I was lined up on its neck and told him to shoot. I must have had too much pressure on my trigger and I accidentally shot it through the neck before he fired. I quickly apologised and got him lined up on the second one that was with it, which he got on his 3rd shot.

Craigc had a similar experience with 4 young chaps we took up the Pouranaki - he shot a spiker that spooked around to him while was waiting for them to stalk one he had got them on too - and they missed out. At least thy got a butchering lesson.

You can get a lot of pleasure out of helping people. I always used to get them to email something about themselves and their bush experience so I had an idea about them.
    I have often wondered what happened to all of these people. Most have disappeared off the forums but a couple are still around and still keen.

I took advantage of an invitation from ‘Sometimes’ as i had not been able to get away for a hunt for a considerable period of time. Although I has been quite successful with my own ventures, recent spinal fusion and a bit of a hip job (age you see) made me ultra cautious. I consider myself a good judge of character and found ‘Sometimes’ to be a most interesting companion; philosophical and well read in that he could hold a decent discussion on any topic we chose. He is an exceptional shot, knocking over game at long range, but most of all he is a very generous individual who is willing to help others out. That final attribute is, to me the most important as we live in what is becoming a seriously selfish society. Having recently shifted and almost settled in, I still feel indebted to ‘Sometimes’ for the excellent adventures we have had together. I owe you man.
    Last edited by Ingrid 51; 28-05-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Mooseman and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Welcome to the world of instant gratification and entitlement …….
    I want what I want, and I want it now, and I want you to give it to me ……. and I will sulk if I don't get it, and I will take grievous offence if you say anything bad about me!
    That's about it. @sometimes1 took me out ith him a couple of times, and I had a great time. My stump boot wasn't quite right and I had to pull the pin, second time, but we had good food, good talk and a good look in the bush. First time was not long after my hip replacement and the man actually carried my pack for me when I started to fuck out. We walked 18 k's that day. Didn't see a deer but did see sign, so they are there. If this guy offes you an armed tramp, you would have to be a limpdick not to take it. Hope we can do it again after I have a new knee, Mate. I'll do another bacon&egg pie, and hopefully carry YOUR pack for a bit.

Regards,

Ken
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Fucken arsehole. That sucks. May the fleas of a thousand camels plague him and his mates for a thousand years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what a bastard you didnt take a photo or three with this "Will" character in it....or did you????
    give us what you have got so we can all have a go at tracking this mongrel bastard down.....

Gone but not forgotten
    ive hunted with a few from other forum and this one plus a pig hunting forum been good times as a disabled hunter bit nerve racking if youll be takin serious once ya get out there had a nice hunt with Tahr many moons ago 😎🤙

Quote Originally Posted by quadhunter260 View Post
    ive hunted with a few from other forum and this one plus a pig hunting forum been good times as a disabled hunter bit nerve racking if youll be takin serious once ya get out there had a nice hunt with Tahr many moons ago ����
    Ha. I well remember pushing your quad with you on it so that we could quietly stalk some Reds You were great company.