Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Thermalling deer

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    whats ya point @stretch ? Thermal is used extensively during the day, no issue at all using it on DOC land.

Its illegal to hunt doc land at night thermal or no thermal
    Its interesting to note in 2014 the permit clearly states that "9" Hunting wild animals during the hours of darkness is prohibited. Thats clear cut, no hunting with whatever as stated during darkness.
    But the recent permits stated no where that hunting during darkness is prohibited does it .
    What it does now say is "4" the following activities are strictly prohibited during the hours of darkness.
    discharging a firearm
    use of any light, spotlight , NV, thermal etc.

So, if i was bow hunting during the full moon and could id my target is there actually anything stopping me hunting with a bow if im not using any light(just moonlight).
    we know of cause the new permit means no hunting during darkness in DOC land but if it went to court and i was bow hunting with the light of the full moon no where does it state on my permit that hunting wild animals is prohibited during darkness, no where does it say i cant use a bow or approved crossbow...legally am i breaking the conditions of the permit ... camt see where lol.
    The fact is they should just state that hunting fullstopp with whatever is prohibited during the hours of darkness, clear cut.
    As its written now i cant see how they have a leg to stand on if i wanted to bow hunt during a full moon...... just saying.
    Some lawyer tell me im not correct?
    Last edited by deer243; 17-06-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Hmm have wondered what the payload of a drone vrs the lightest carbon singleshot rifle...

The Original Striker
    Im supprised that no has said anything about using drones to scout for animals
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Caretaker
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Im supprised that no has said anything about using drones to scout for animals
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/...ft-activities/

"Aircraft activities on or over public conservation lands and waters must have a concession or authorisation from DOC. This includes both commercial operations and private recreational activities."

...and...

Aircraft are defined under the Civil Aviation Authority rules (external site) and include unmanned aircraft (UAVs/UAS/RPAS/drones)

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Im surprised that no has said anything about using drones to scout for animals
    It doesn't work really, you need to fly quite high (like 300m+) so as not to spook the animals and at that height you cant identify animals on device teh video is streaming back to.

I tried to drop in on a pig and it wasnt having anything of it.

The only way drones would be helpull in scouting is if they had a massive zoom camera on the, but that is serious $$$. They are cool for making videos tho and probably quite cool for duck shooting etc.
    BRADS likes this.

I use two types of thermal gear, monocular for spotting and thermal scope. You can get that close to deer at night that they are totally oblivious to you, basically like shooting a deer at 200 yds during daylight, you can't mistake a deer for a human. I have no reason to shoot a deer with this setup over 100 yds, its that simple.

Guys in Zambia are using them on the crops for pigs.
    First conversation I had with the hunter went like this .
    F--k off what if its not a pig?
    If anyone has been to Africa they would realise that village people walk everywhere including across crops and farmland.
    He told me that you cannot mistake the shape for anything other than what it is.
    Cool bit of gear but like anything not fool proof nor should it be used on public land at night.
    Its no different to spotlighting on private land in my eyes and if I could justify the cost and had private land to hunt on a regular basis I would give it a crack.
    Its a lot of money to spend on a set up most hunters would use 3-4 times a year?
    Steve123 likes this.
    Love walking my gun

I've seen people spend much, much more money on fast cars only to sit in rush hour traffic 5 days a week.....
    Savage1, Dougie, deer243 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamkiwi View Post
    Its a lot of money to spend on a set up most hunters would use 3-4 times a year?
    What makes you say that? My old flatmate had one and I looked at everything through it and the novelty didn't wear off. Interesting how different materials retained heat (cool looking back at the house and the Windows pumping out the heat) and did you also know that a dogs butt hole is the hottest bit of it??!!!

I'm not sure how people could only use that experience 3-4 times a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    on2it, 257weatherby and Huk like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

[QUOTE=Dougie;480369]What makes you say that? My old flatmate had one and I looked at everything through it and the novelty didn't wear off. Interesting how different materials retained heat (cool looking back at the house and the Windows pumping out the heat) and did you also know that a dogs butt hole is the hottest bit of it??!!!

I'm not sure how people could only use that experience 3-4 times a year [emoji6

Well it's a dull day when you dont learn something new.!
    Pointer and Dougie like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    and did you also know that a dogs butt hole is the hottest bit of it??!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't know you could see PNG from the north island?😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Dougie and 257weatherby like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I didn't know you could see PNG from the north island?��

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Possible if your over ripe but hole was there at the time magnifying the thermal effect.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

certainly shows Rusa populations are not too bad in pockets

res
    I have borrowed a thermal for finding rabbits, then putting a spotlight on them to shoot. fantastic bit of kit and the farmer was blown away by out vastly higher then normal tally. If I could afford one I would always carry one
    scottrods and Dougie like this.
    Using Tapatalk