Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tongariro National Park-

Question Tongariro National Park-

Hey guys,

I'm a keen hunter from Norway that for the last 3 years have lived in New Zealand while studying in Auckland. Have hunted my whole life back home (mostly moose and deer), but it has unfortunately taken some time for me to get into hunting her in NZ. About a year ago I got my firearms licence and have been hunting both the north and south island with a few mates. This has all been on private land, but I now feel like I have the understanding of NZ hunting required to start exploring some land on my own. I was therefore thinking about Tongariro National Park as it seems to be more open and maybe a good place to start. I have done a few hikes there before, so I know my way around Whakapapa and Whakapapaiti Valley, but not sure what the numbers are like (both deer population and hunting pressure). I understand that the best way to learn about this is to get out and start exploring, but a few pointers would be much appreciated. As a student I don't have much time and will probably only be able to go out once a month at the most. Last year I went hunting with a mate down south and brought back enough meat to feed myself and my girlfriend for a few months, so I hope to be able to keep re-filling the freezer once in a while.

I'm hoping to go down for my first trip after the roar.

Off the desert road is worth a look.Lots of open country. Also the Southern side of Ruapehu. Havent hunted much on the Whakapapaiti side. As you said, get out and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNorway View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a keen hunter from Norway that for the last 3 years have lived in New Zealand while studying in Auckland. Have hunted my whole life back home (mostly moose and deer), but it has unfortunately taken some time for me to get into hunting her in NZ. About a year ago I got my firearms licence and have been hunting both the north and south island with a few mates. This has all been on private land, but I now feel like I have the understanding of NZ hunting required to start exploring some land on my own. I was therefore thinking about Tongariro National Park as it seems to be more open and maybe a good place to start. I have done a few hikes there before, so I know my way around Whakapapa and Whakapapaiti Valley, but not sure what the numbers are like (both deer population and hunting pressure). I understand that the best way to learn about this is to get out and start exploring, but a few pointers would be much appreciated. As a student I don't have much time and will probably only be able to go out once a month at the most. Last year I went hunting with a mate down south and brought back enough meat to feed myself and my girlfriend for a few months, so I hope to be able to keep re-filling the freezer once in a while.

I'm hoping to go down for my first trip after the roar.
    Things have obviously changed since my student days.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks!

And yes, times are changing... Immigration requires us as international students to have 100 % attendance to get approved for our visa.. Not much room for hunting with other words..

We use to have a bit of luck around Hauhungatahi.

And yes, times are changing... Immigration requires us as international students to have 100 % attendance to get approved for our visa.. Not much room for hunting with other words..
    Geez mate, someone forgot to tell the exchange students I know. The buggers are always travelling around the country and missing classes

Mate, if it was up to me I wouldn't be in Auckland right now... People and cars everywhere..all the time..... Just got to focus on quality rather than quantity for the next 2 years... Better times will come!
    Steve123 likes this.

Its not like they do a role call for anything outside of classes/labs with participation marks mate. Wouldnt be toooooooo hard to wisp away here and there.
    Cspence likes this.

Heres an 'quick report' from my one and only hunt in that area....they are out there somewhere @MrNorway .....good luck mate.....

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...eer-hunt-6810/

While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser;454118
    [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/scouse/media/020_zps0lt6kweo.jpg.html
    [/URL]
    Is that a cone? Hahaha

Norway whats your fitness level like and can you camp out or do you stay in Whakapapaiti hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggie View Post
    Its not like they do a role call for anything outside of classes/labs with participation marks mate. Wouldnt be toooooooo hard to wisp away here and there.
    I'm up at the New Zealand College of Chiropractic, with about 50 students in each class, so here they do a roll.. Everytime!! Went hunting on a friday last semester and had 5 missed calls from the school because they were wondering where I was

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Heres an 'quick report' from my one and only hunt in that area....they are out there somewhere @MrNorway .....good luck mate.....

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...eer-hunt-6810/

Thanks for that! Awesome photos and really enjoyed that story!
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PillowDribbler View Post
    Norway whats your fitness level like and can you camp out or do you stay in Whakapapaiti hut.

Fitness level is good. Got a competitive background from endurance sports. Tent or hut doesn't matter