Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tongariro National Park-

Quote Originally Posted by MrNorway View Post
    I'm up at the New Zealand College of Chiropractic, with about 50 students in each class, so here they do a roll.. Everytime!! Went hunting on a friday last semester and had 5 missed calls from the school because they were wondering where I was
    Should have done geology and geophysics mate got a degree with more time in the pub then at lectures
    MrNorway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggie View Post
    Should have done geology and geophysics mate got a degree with more time in the pub then at lectures
    Sounds like the voice of experience right there....eh @Haggie ........
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
    Is that a cone? Hahaha
    No....its a 'Roaring Horn'........
    deadidick and Cspence like this.

A few moons ago i went in there for a looksy and found eldorado,the deer would be going past the hut in the dark then a few months later Roy Grose from the park said there was a population explosion asking for more support bringing numbers down.The numbers came down to a point where marks by hut dissapeared. In Scousers picture with binos, the hut is the other side of the ridge on skyline,morning hunt walk around back of toilet up the scrubby clearing when half way up hang a left into the more open face and continue up.wait for sun to come over top of face then start glassing everywhere.In the picture with rifle and cone up the side of the mountain at the barrel end is a waterfall,i have seen them up that high.At the shady spot at barrel end somebody shot a stag there and a bigger one had come out of the trees walked around the carcass and gone back.In afternoon you want to be on the other valley side glassing into morning hunt area,get to that by going up the around the mountain track.Cheers.
    Scouser and MrNorway like this.

Just be careful on the backdrop if you have a shot Mr Norway, there's a lot of tracks around there and a lot of foot traffic.....Soda springs is the closest place IIRC......

Whakapapaiti Hut

Saw my first deer in the Whakapapaiti Valley. Was only 17 and had an old beaten up Mauser K98 8x57; my first centrefire. Was coming back to the hut from downstream on the true right side of the valley. Was sidling through the bush about 3/4 of the way up the ridge when I heard a noise.

I stopped, crouched and waited to see what it was. A red hind came into view about 25-metres away across a little clearing. She was reaching up and eating the leaves; but never in clear view. I could've shot through the scrub into her chest but didn't want to risk wounding her; so just watched her graze away. I had the worst case of buck fever ever known to man!

Got back to the hut and noticed that I'd lost my Gerber somewhere in the bush..... About thirty bucks worth back in 1980-ish... Or; about 3/4 of my weeks apprentice wage. I'd saved for weeks to get that knife and rifle.... The rifle was $72 and I'd put it on layby along with a 4x32 scope!
    Timmay, Scouser, Gibo and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PillowDribbler View Post
    A few moons ago i went in there for a looksy and found eldorado,the deer would be going past the hut in the dark then a few months later Roy Grose from the park said there was a population explosion asking for more support bringing numbers down.The numbers came down to a point where marks by hut dissapeared. In Scousers picture with binos, the hut is the other side of the ridge on skyline,morning hunt walk around back of toilet up the scrubby clearing when half way up hang a left into the more open face and continue up.wait for sun to come over top of face then start glassing everywhere.In the picture with rifle and cone up the side of the mountain at the barrel end is a waterfall,i have seen them up that high.At the shady spot at barrel end somebody shot a stag there and a bigger one had come out of the trees walked around the carcass and gone back.In afternoon you want to be on the other valley side glassing into morning hunt area,get to that by going up the around the mountain track.Cheers.
    This is awesome!! Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Just be careful on the backdrop if you have a shot Mr Norway, there's a lot of tracks around there and a lot of foot traffic.....Soda springs is the closest place IIRC......
    Thanks for the heads up!! I'll definitely keep this in mind!!
    Scouser likes this.