Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: What tents is everyone using

I have a Minaret. Pretty good value for money I thought and handles windy conditions well. As others have alluded to, it’s probably really only suited to one person. Olympus or Plateau might be a better bet.
    Outdoorsbloke likes this.

Have used several, Terra Nova Photon 1. very light. but got shredded in gales on west coast tops
    Got MSR Access 2. use it as a single person tent. bit heavier, at 2kgs
    roomy, has more stability than the Hubba etc. Ok in pouring WC rain. use a foot print with it
    used it on the tops a bit, but eventually also got shredded on the west coast tops
    wind was flattening the roof with every big blast. thought we were sheltered
    lesson was, dont camp there
    there isnt anything that will withstand gales at 1500 metres etc.
    last trip, camped on the bush edge and climbed morning and evening. But no wind at camp
    Name:  camp.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  1.90 MB

MSR Access 2 , yes I had my flattened couple years ago on a high alpine saddle , well it was more like flat to your face then up again between gusts then flat again all night long , hell of a night and though at any moment the thing was just going to break apart but it didn't and is perfectly fine still .

Still using my old Weka2 tent but only good for fly in and 4wd trips. Floor slowly delaminating. Doubt it would handle alpine gales. Have on order from Bush Buck their 2 man tent 8000 - reviews looked good. All up weight 2kg.

same happened to me. was worried fly would rip so tried propping it up but fell asleep
    work with roof flattened, but then heard flapping. out fly shredded
    bailed out at daylight, gale still blowing. Luckily hadnt started raining
    replaced the roof, but am more wary of where i camp

Quote Originally Posted by Tararuas hunter View Post
    same happened to me. was worried fly would rip so tried propping it up but fell asleep
    work with roof flattened, but then heard flapping. out fly shredded
    bailed out at daylight, gale still blowing. Luckily hadnt started raining
    replaced the roof, but am more wary of where i camp
    Simon Lawn told us he had lost count of the number of tents the Nelson tops had claimed, including my mates & we had to bail off the tops to a hut as it was pissing down, as you say if it’s going to be a gale drop into the bush for some protection
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Anyone tried an Intents Hopper 2 @ $399 for a 3 season looks ok

https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/pr...of-hiking-tent

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Anyone tried an Intents Hopper 2 @ $399 for a 3 season looks ok

https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/pr...of-hiking-tent
    Yes, I have/had one. Similar design to MSR. Goes ok, the donuts that hold the poles in at the joins got wrecked on a windy night so it's not as strong as it used to be. Poles pop out in wind etc. On the particular night it happened my mates MSR got wrecked and another mates Hilberg snapped poles. So it was pretty windy. Was a long night.
    veitnamcam, GWH, Shearer and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Simon Lawn told us he had lost count of the number of tents the Nelson tops had claimed, including my mates & we had to bail off the tops to a hut as it was pissing down, as you say if it’s going to be a gale drop into the bush for some protection

I was one of those. twice

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has compared this model to the Nature Hike Mongar that appears to be very similar, and is shipped with a footprint as part of the price? What does one get for the extra money, or is Intent Outdoors just clipping the ticket ? It looks like the lower half of the inner of the Hopper is nylon rather than the whole inner being mesh. That would be a plus for me.

I'm running an MSR Carbon Reflex 2. For what I want, it's great but I am pretty anal about where I pitch and in what weather.

My thoughts were exactly the same as yours, the only visible difference is the high side wall on the inner so yes clipping the ticket.

I gave the nature hike mongar a good run for 12mths.

I liked it, it was a light tent with a good layout.

Two weakness.

1. You have to put the inner up first and then the fly.

2. That strut pole or whatever they call it puts a real weak point on the inside of the fly in windy conditions. Eventual downfall.

Its a common design though?? Nature hike, bushbuck, intent outdoors etc etc....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Puffin like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    @kukuwai - are you still using the Nature Hike or have you moved on to something else? the MSR access even though a 4 season is $1399.. och
    Na Mate, its long gone.

Changed to a Kuiu Mtn Star. Having the poles on the outside solves both the above issues. Quick to put up in any conditions and solid in the wind.

They have gone up since I brought mine but then again everything has !! Still worth the coin in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Fat belly Dog like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Sea to Summit Escapist tarp - with building paper groundsheet for predominantly fine weather summer missions or hunting trips were saving space and weight for carrying meat is important.
    Macpac Duolight - all seasons, fair weather. Comfy for 2-3 people with the dual vestibule.
    Minaret and and Olympus - bombshelters for true alpine missions.

My partner got several hundred work nights out of a macpac nautilus through all kinds of horrendous tops weather. The kea had chewed it out so many times that it was mostly held together with ecoply tape. Its now seeing out its retirement as a just for festivals tent.

Watched a brand new msr hubba hubba ripped in two and its contents dissapear while the Minaret stood its ground.

Tunnel tents are the tried and true design for NZ weather. A bit unpleasant for multiple nights especially if cramming people but once you get a good system going, they're ok. Wouldn't want to be in anything else once the norwester gets roaring.
    ZQLewis and Outdoorsbloke like this.

Been rocking the Past Outdoor UL6 tipee the last year or so.
    It's just over 3kg with the ali pole. And another 2kg for the titanium wood stove, which is optional, but also not optional for those winter trips.
    On a recent trip, we fit 5 dudes and the stove in and it was pretty comfortable for the 4 nights we were out there. The titanium stove is very efficient at heating up the space inside, most nights we were just lounged out around the fire in a baselayer drinking tea while it was negatives outside.
    Been on a couple of camping trips with my partner as well, with camping chairs and chilly bins. Definitely easy to convince your better half to go camping with luxury items.
    The customer services is pretty top notch too, you're dealing with the guy who designed and built the thing.
    Name:  IMG_20211120_194244.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  5.00 MB
    Name:  IMG_20211120_214647.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  1.47 MB
    rugerman, tikka, Phill243 and 1 others like this.