Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What's the most fun hunt you've had on SI with/without a permit?

What's the most fun hunt you've had on SI with/without a permit?

I'm baaack! Just got my email that Wanaka Roar Block permits have rolled over to 2021. This gives me back WEEKS of my life from e-scouting, etc. that I thought would be wasted. So thankful DoC is doing this, but maybe they're scared y'all will riot over the tahr control plan and are tossing you crumbs lol.

So here's the gig. My wife's spring break (teacher) is two weeks before my roar block and she is dead set on going... so I'm seriously considering burning all my vacation on a 20 day trip. I have plans for week 1 and week 3, but nothing for week 2. So what are some hunts on the SI you can recommend for good old fashion fun?

Doesn't need to be a trophy, a controlled hunt, or anything special. Just looking for the type of hunting (or experience, I love freediving/spearing) that puts a smile on your face (doesn't really narrow it down) and is classically kiwi.

Many thanks to the guys who tried to help my 2020 roar block plans come to fruition. I'm bummed for myself and the many locals who didn't get a crack at them this year, but so glad you are spared the medical, if not mental/economic, impacts of Covid for now.

This is assuming that travel will be restored by then...?
    timattalon and Inder like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Humbug Ryan let the man plan it’s for the good of our souls ya know it

Good luck to you I’m sure if you can get here someone will give you a hell of a good time

ps just don’t cough at the boarder
    SimpleRick90 likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    A bit of wallaby shooting to prep the legs for Wanaka. Pig hunting over dogs

Would recommend Stewart Is or Fiirdland for both rifle and diving....both very different...both very full of awesomeness
    timattalon likes this.

Fiordland charter would be my bucket list few mates on the boat for a week hunting fishing diving what’s not to like about it. Oh that’s right the price
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Humbug Ryan let the man plan it’s for the good of our souls ya know it

Good luck to you I’m sure if you can get here someone will give you a hell of a good time

ps just don’t cough at the boarder
    Yea just don't go booking any flights just yet ! , at least not with Air NZ as you will not get any refund
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Mavora lakes in a hired double kayak? Fishing and hunting with amazing scenery and a couple of good huts.
    double kayak is the very worst test of marriage ....you are on a hiding to nothing if partner isnt up to the task...you either do all the paddling and suck it up saying nothing...or say something and sleep in dogbox afterwards.
    stewart island would be great from diving point of view but the whitetails are going to be a disappointment for someone from your part of the world.
    do you enjoy chasing waterfowl???? central south island season runs may,june,july and bag limits are some of the most generous around.
    SimpleRick90 likes this.

Fiorldand, mavora but I wouldnt kayak it, got a 4 wheel drive? that would be some mean as fun up their also wallaby shooting and if you want to stay in wanaka for a bit doorknock on some farmers houses with a box of piss and go rabbit shooting

This is awesome guys, thanks for the planning fuel! It goes without saying that I will respect travel closures and won't be one of those crunchy hippy backpackers y'all had to deport - not just out of respect for your covid strategy, but also the international hunting community doesn't need that type of publicity.
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

you better plan a 34 day vacation as id say a 2 week quarantine on arrival will still be happening

Surfcasting on a west coast beach on a nice day with a cold one in my paw was always a nice time for me. Haven't been over and done that for quite some time now.
    Tuidog and Huntfisheat like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.