Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: whats needed when hunting the south island

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    get a rifle that can shoot up hill mate , those north island ones like creedmoors , 708's and stuff just end up making holes in the dirt
    Don't forget some prosthetic fingers and toes in case you need to stop for supplies or fuel.
    erniec and Maxx like this.

The one rifle to rule them all, 300wsm

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    The one rifle to rule them all, 300wsm
    says the fella who,since I ve known him has slayed many animals with...now let me think
    264magic....a 6.5 pill in a .204 ruger case..two different rifles
    22 terminater...basically a 222magnum
    300wsm
    stick n string too
    man of many talents is our boy smokey LMFAO
    Trout and RUMPY like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I am gearing up too, and I am thinking to buy a U.S Army boots for a try in SI. Water proof, 8 inches high can support me for extra miles, and it `s cheaper, only cost about 350 dollars, but modern hiking shoes will need $600 +. I do `t think I will need a range finder, I would like to trade that weight for my SLR camera and a tripod for quality photos and videos.
    Do I need a water filter? What I saw those waters there, it `s pretty clean, but diarrhea could be very dangerous for one man alone out there. I have experience of drinking waters from rivers, springs or rocky streams, so far I am good, even I get sensitive stomach.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Permit
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I am gearing up too, and I am thinking to buy a U.S Army boots for a try in SI. Water proof, 8 inches high can support me for extra miles, and it `s cheaper, only cost about 350 dollars, but modern hiking shoes will need $600 +. I do `t think I will need a range finder, I would like to trade that weight for my SLR camera and a tripod for quality photos and videos.
    Do I need a water filter? What I saw those waters there, it `s pretty clean, but diarrhea could be very dangerous for one man alone out there. I have experience of drinking waters from rivers, springs or rocky streams, so far I am good, even I get sensitive stomach.
    Water is usually ok to drink if it's from a spring or clear running stream/river.
    If the water is running off areas where animals are grazing or an area that gets lots of people through it you may want to boil,filter or treat it with tablets before drinking.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    $6-800 for boots...fuckmesideways Batman..do the plurry things walk themselves up the hill????
    my ashleys are less than $200 and john bull make great boots for not a lot more than that.... find out what your doing and get some miles under your belt before leaping into hugely expensive footwear you may not like and probably wont need.....
    Finnwolf and Black Rabbit like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by matthewhall2912 View Post
    hey all, I might be heading down south for uni next year and was wondering what gear id need/ wanna take if i was to do hunting in the colder months while im down there. Im a north island bush hunter so I dont know much about super cold and alpine areas so I am wanting some direction on what i would need as i know for sure thermals and stubbie shorts wont cut it.

cheers
    Would be worth having a look at the uni tramping club. Be it Otago or Canterbury. During uni, most of us got about the hills in long johns under stubbies. If it was going to be truly shit then fleece pants with waterproof over leggings. Or stay at home that weekend.
    6x47 likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

NO4
    There's no game animals down here seriously though, just use the same gear you use up north, good comfy boots will be your friend and good wind and water proof outer layer(top and bottom) will be invaluable.
    As Joe_90 said i usualy get round in shorts (with thermals when its cooler) A PLB is a must
    Hot Barrels and tight lines

Sense of humour

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    $6-800 for boots...fuckmesideways Batman..do the plurry things walk themselves up the hill????
    my ashleys are less than $200 and john bull make great boots for not a lot more than that.... find out what your doing and get some miles under your belt before leaping into hugely expensive footwear you may not like and probably wont need.....
    Ha Ha My boots they are all about 300 dollars, and I really like to find something cost effective. One pair of my Garmount only used for two years in NZ, the wet environment, rocks tore it apart.

@Black Rabbit if your interested in getting a pair of brand new Lowe Ranger boots then send me a PM and I’ll send you the link to an overseas website… I recently bought in a pair which cost me $330 all up landed. H&F sell the same boots for $800

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    @Black Rabbit if your interested in getting a pair of brand new Lowe Ranger boots then send me a PM and I’ll send you the link to an overseas website… I recently bought in a pair which cost me $330 all up landed. H&F sell the same boots for $800
    If you wouldn't mind sending it on to me as well be very grateful cheers. L

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Thanks. I still have two pair of boots in NZ. Yeah, like Torpedo7 in Auckland, all the boots I like was $600 +, not to mention those latest version.

Good Bino's , big country down here so you will be glassing a lot to locate animals, sometimes from quite long distances.