Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Who's still after a sika

would there be much of a fawn left by time the bullet has gone through it and left a bloody big exit hole would rather let it live for a year or two before killing it for the freezer.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

TJM
    Ill be out soon, Easter traffic should have reduced, may be less chance of becoming the hunted now ??

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    would there be much of a fawn left by time the bullet has gone through it and left a bloody big exit hole would rather let it live for a year or two before killing it for the freezer.
    Not if your using a 223 an put the bullet in the neck. Still about the same size of a sika. Each to there own.

I shot a fawn once years ago . It had lost its spots and was about 50 yards away. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw how small it was on the ground, I had thought it was a good yearling when I fired. Turned out my ‘scope was wound up to 9 power and I hadn’t realized.

It was in that creek above the sub station on the end of Kaimanawa Rd. I wonder if its still productive? They used to roar well in there.
    7mmsaum, Scouser and Rusky like this.

Its a hunting ambition of mine to drop a Sika....there cunning buggers......spooked 3 but ive never got a safe shot off!!!!!!!
    phillipgr likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I will always hunt Sika, whether armed with the camera or rifle they will always be one of my favourite species to hunt.
    I only came out of the scrub yesterday from chasing them and this morning I was wanting to go back in.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I shot a fawn once years ago . It had lost its spots and was about 50 yards away. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw how small it was on the ground, I had thought it was a good yearling when I fired. Turned out my ‘scope was wound up to 9 power and I hadn’t realized.
    Shot a Sika fawn once too. It was early April on the Te Puke tops and it had a bit of weight to it. Delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Its a hunting ambition of mine to drop a Sika....there cunning buggers......spooked 3 but ive never got a safe shot off!!!!!!!
    I will say I got followed by one a few years ago here I was hunting for them and this cheeky bugger of a sika was trotting around trying to find me and when I did spot the cheeky bugger he copped whiff of my scent when the wind changed direction and squealed and buggered off before I could squeeze off a round to drop it.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I am going out this weekend , always find this time of year great for Sika

Sika are heaps of fun to play with , watch and hunt .They can be quite stupid as well . Most hunters who take a shot and miss go back the next day around the same time , but no deer turn up, why . From experience 48 hours after, is the best time to look . 9 out of 10 times they are in the same area .

Good luck with the hunting

TJM
    Tomorrow morning, see if the cunning stags are vocal

GWH
    They weren't making any noise in the southern kawekas this morning

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

TJM
    cheers,, Ive shot a few when there was no vocal action, nice to get out there regardless

TJM
    Name:  photo-17.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  51.3 KBWell I took one of the young apprentices from work who is interested in hunting, gave him some bots a hunting fishing camo jacket and a blaze orange cap up one of the well used forest park tracks in the Kaimanawhas this morning. Walked up the track 1/2 and hour then cut off into the bush proper. We located a reasonable amount of fresh sign and walked in a bout 1 km then snuck around the ride line and then cut back to the main track. Didn't manage to raise any stags but put up one hind in the process. We walked up the tack for another 15 minutes then cut back into the bush. Wasn't long before a Sika started to bark at us so we stopped for awhile. It didn't move and also kept squawking so I tried the fawn call on one the AJ game callers we had just to see if we could settle it down. It didn't work and gradually moved away. We followed it for a few hundred meters until the bush got too shitty. We moved back to the track again and then I found out he had a bad blister on his heel. I had wanted to stalk down to a spot Id seen a good size stag in the past but gave it away, didn't want to put a prospective new hunter off the game. Ran into a couple of other hunters on our way back to the car and they told me they hadn't heard any stags roaring all weekend.
    Was a a nice day out as the weather was perfect, bush quite damp so nice and quiet, we had spotted a deer and my new boots didn't give me blisters !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick.m View Post
    I only came out of the scrub yesterday from chasing them and this morning I was wanting to go back in.
    I know the feeling, I'm going through withdrawal symptoms, came out Friday.

B
    Carl243 likes this.