Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Your best Rifle EVER?

Mine was a 7mm mag I had made up a few years back. Got me into long range shooting. Turned it into a 7 RUM and then sold it to buy my 404 Jeffery last year.

Ooooh, going down memory lane.
    Every rifle I owned had a special reason for being, and as a young man you tend to go through a few rifles before sense is knocked into your head.
    I matured as a hunter with a Rem700 Classic 6,5x55 with a Zeiss 6x42 scope, so many fond memories there.

But it is the Blaser which is the "best" rifle. Simply works. No issues. Can't say that about most of my other rifles.
    DAF, kiwijames, R93 and 1 others like this.

my current and favourite centre fire is my 6.5/06 built on the P17 action absolutely love it and it will never be sold, my boys can fight over it when i am gone. gone but not forgotten was my all time favourite a DUCO .22 acurite all day long 1/2"at 50 yards one day the hammer broke so i sold it to a guy in Rai Valley who fixed it and on sold it some years later. i would love to get it back one day.
    R93 likes this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Quote Originally Posted by Sika Seeker View Post
    That a micro medallion x bolt?
    Probably.
    This seems to be the current model.
    X-Bolt Micro Midas

My favourite (so far at least) is my Savage Mod.14 Classic 223. Not the lightest rifle but balanced and handles well, nice smooth action, great trigger and accuracy.

Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless, 308, Kahles 4-12x52 MultiZero. As long as I do my part, it just works.
    7mmsaum and BRADS like this.

northdude
    Mine is my m96

Sako 75 in 7mm08. Barrel shortened to 20" with a gunworks suppressor. Shoots like no other rifle I've owned and I've had a few. 1/2 moa or better depending on the shooter. Cycles well and trigger breaks like glass. She gets 2940 fps at the muzzle with a 140 gn BT.
    Glass is a VX3 4.5x15x50. It's dropped all sorts from 20 paces to 600 yds
    7mmsaum, Tahr, GSP HUNTER and 2 others like this.

Mine has to be my 77/22 all weather, one of the first in the UK , taken most things, 5 species of deer, rabbits,foxes, squirrels, various birds, love it, favourite centre fire had to be my marlin 336 in 3030

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Ooooh, going down memory lane.
    Every rifle I owned had a special reason for being, and as a young man you tend to go through a few Girls before sense is knocked into your head.
    so many fond memories there.

Simply works. No issues.
    Fixed that for you Norway

I have owned a few nice rifles that have given excellent service over the years (.30/06 BSA Majestic, .308 BSA Hunter, .30/06 Husqvarna, .308 Remington Model Seven, the last two being my current tops and bush rifles) and taken their fair share of animals, but one stands head and shoulders above the rest for animals taken. That honour goes to the unissued .303 SMLE that I got for my 16th birthday and subsequently used when I was a professional shooter at 19 years old. I never kept a tally but it runs well into 3 figures.

I also bought a new 10/22 in 1966 and used it on a rabbit board. I would have been one of the first in the World to use one in a professional capacity and I shot literally thousands with it. There were only 10 that arrived in NZ at that time and they were sent, one each, to various prominent sports shops. I was on my monthly trip to town when it arrived at Doug Warehams Sports in Blenhiem. I bought it on the spot for 28 Pounds, 19 shillings and 6 pence. It never even got into the gun rack!
    jakewire, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 10 others like this.

Well, I haven't been such a lad about town - only owned half a dozen rifles.
    First was a .303 - very good for a 303 but as soon as I got this one, my success rate went up a lot.

I have to admit this rifle is better than the .303. Had very few animals escape (and I can't really remember them all) and quite a few less than ideal placements have still put them down. Grouping isn't spectacular but it's done OK in target comps too, up about 600m where the bullets pop into a parallel universe. Still using the first load I ever worked up for it (7mm140BT at 860m/s). Smallest game shot is a rat at the top of the Wairere Falls track from range of 500mm.

Scope is easy to see through, has enough mag, good in low light, has parallax adjustment so I can see targets down to about 30m, good exit pupil so I can use it left handed if needed. No flare looking into the sun. Good crosshair but a bit hard t see in low light below 4x. It feels nice, carrys well and is forgiving of poor position and technique, as long as the crosshair is on the target.

In fact, the rifle itself is transparent, as if I'm holding a bullet in my hand and place it as best I can into the target.

No problems with malfunction or rust, easy to clean and maintain. Dropout 5 shot magazine. in fact its Multifunctional, Good for a walking stick, river crossing, pushing thick scrub and prickly vines out of the way, and for tent pole.

Rifles discarded, never regretted:
    Ruger 10/22 sold replaced by Norinco
    Walther .22 target rifle stolen replaced by Anschutz
    BSA .3006 broken when someone tried to steal it from car. new stock and sold.
    1894 .303 sold swapped for crampons
    Anschutz 1407 .22 target rifle good gun but not used for many years so used to finance an AA TX200HC.
    Last edited by Bagheera; 05-04-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    kokako likes this.

Mine would be my little Zastava 223. Nothing fancy, sloppy bolt, the odd misfeed if I don't load it quite right but a really nice trigger. When I do my bit (generally depends on pain level at the time), it shoots really well, ... way beyond the meagre price I paid for it. Has accounted for many wallabies, hares, rabbits and a nice little pig.

R93 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Sako 75 in 7mm08. Barrel shortened to 20" with a gunworks suppressor. Shoots like no other rifle I've owned and I've had a few. 1/2 moa or better depending on the shooter. Cycles well and trigger breaks like glass. She gets 2940 fps at the muzzle with a 140 gn BT.
    Glass is a VX3 4.5x15x50. It's dropped all sorts from 20 paces to 600 yds
    That one even has its victims smiling
    Nathan F likes this.

Bagheera, is it a 75 or 85 and what caliber?