Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: 6mm Creedmoor vs 243

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so here is a question out of left field for you (or should that be right field if I am as been told a right wing red neck??) you asked about heavier projectiles...was this for bigger whallop on animals at bush ranges out to say 150 yards??? or were you hopeing for slightly heavier to try to stretch the range out a bit more????

because if its the first....there are actually some very very effective 100grn offerings out there in round nose form.... Tony Orman was a EBRG fan and his theory was smash the shoulders to anchor animal and allow that little pill to dump all its energy inside animal.....nearly 40 years of shooting stuff I cannot in anyway fault his logic.
    I dont use an EBRG but do use the mighty .270winchester......using 130grn loadings the ONLY time animals have moved after being shot is when Ive failed to take out the front wheels...... we live and learn,and hopefully dont repeat same mistake twice...other learned folks will slip explosive projectile in tight to shoulder into "the crease" area pulping lungs and damaging less meat....great when angle of animal is slightly away from you and you have patience to make it happen right or let animal walk....same as using .223 pick your shots if using fragile projectile....or neck shoot.
    Hoping for more whallop slightly further out and better sd but I see your point, may end up dual loading yet.

Yes shot placement is key, I'm more in favor of the more forward shoulder shot, has served me well with the rem mag and 162 ELD-X bullet penetrates to off side skin on deer, dumping all energy and turning out the lights. Will see what shoots the best and go from there
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I’ll throw some Winchester cases and some of the 95gr targex for you to try mate
    Get you going at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks @Bill999 you're a gentleman and a scholar
    Micky Duck likes this.

6XC for the win.

Hi there
    The 243 is a great calibre, I have owned two and they both collected game very efficiently. My current 243 is a TC Icon and is 1:10 twist, however shoots Sierra 100 gn Prohunters into 10mm consistently and is devastating on reds, sika, and fallow. I have an old box of Speer 105 gn RN which I have first up for bush hunting, and the mag full of Sierra 100's for longer shots. This system of loading works really well for hunting in bushy environments, and use the same process with my 284 with Hornady 154 RN for bush operations etc. The 243 is made for handloading with a large selection of projectiles to suit what ever game and range you are hunting, and generally are easy to load for. I see you are Manawatu, if you need some cases or projectiles to try let me know and we can have some fun.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    6XC for the win.
    One at my local interesting for sure

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    6XC for the win.
    Naah, 6mm RemAi for the easy win......
    Trav-6mmrem likes this.

It’s all in the twist.

I have both .243 Win and 6mm Creedmoor… One hits a whole lot harder than the other. You can see it, hear it, feel it. THWOP!

If you want to kill a good sized red deer at 300ish, I’d pick the 6mm CM every time… no question, hesitation or ummmming and aaahhhing.

6mm CM: 108gr ELD-M at 300m: hits at 2,450 ft./sec with 1450 ft-lbs thump
    243 Win: 95gr Nosler BT at 300m: hits at 2,240 ft./sec with 1050 ft-lbs thump (30% less)

As the range increases, the thump delta just increases. The flight of the 108gr is just that much better. Less drop, less windage, more thump.

The 7½” twist makes a big difference to the 6mm bore. That 30% extra thump on a longer shot is well worth having.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    I'll start getting some components together once I've got dies sorted, that may not be for a week or two though. Once I pay for the barrel and then later it arrives, I'll get some photos of the process and put it in the home projects section.
    Greetings Rated M for Magnum,
    Just out of interest, what twist did you go for? My not particularly recent but persistant scottish heritage generally prevents me from spending moon money on my rifle projects so have considerable sympathy with your approach. I also have a set of .243 dies here I could lend if needed.
    Regards Grandpamac.

sneakywaza I got
    Statistics can be used to prove anything you like, Select your own cartridge/pill combination driving along quickly, against it select a cartridge/ pill combination with a much lesser bc, drive it slowly and viola! your point is proved.

Lucky for me I guess, my .243 (9t) is one of those weird ones that can push a decent bc pill fast, my 95 Berger is going 3050 at a not max load, 300m? 2400fps, big Red just goes down where he stands, as do Tahr, somewhat harder to kill than a Red if you cock it up........ Oddly, it will push a 105 Berger at 2950, and the 9 twist still keeping it stable at 300m arriving at about the same speed as the 95.

Imagine, if you will, a world where the 6mmCreedmoor had a 10 twist and pushed a 95 Nbt slowly, and a .243 had a 7.5 twist and pushed a 108 Amax fast..........

Hence the chat around twist over all mag length is worth a consideration as well depending on the platform

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger7mm View Post
    Hi there
    The 243 is a great calibre, I have owned two and they both collected game very efficiently. My current 243 is a TC Icon and is 1:10 twist, however shoots Sierra 100 gn Prohunters into 10mm consistently and is devastating on reds, sika, and fallow. I have an old box of Speer 105 gn RN which I have first up for bush hunting, and the mag full of Sierra 100's for longer shots. This system of loading works really well for hunting in bushy environments, and use the same process with my 284 with Hornady 154 RN for bush operations etc. The 243 is made for handloading with a large selection of projectiles to suit what ever game and range you are hunting, and generally are easy to load for. I see you are Manawatu, if you need some cases or projectiles to try let me know and we can have some fun.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm
    Thanks @Ruger7mm I'll keep that in mind, I'll see how the next couple of weeks progress getting barrel on etc

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Rated M for Magnum,
    Just out of interest, what twist did you go for? My not particularly recent but persistant scottish heritage generally prevents me from spending moon money on my rifle projects so have considerable sympathy with your approach. I also have a set of .243 dies here I could lend if needed.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    1 in 10 twist was what I went for, should be optimal for the 90 ELD-X and 95 berger classic I'm hoping.

I'll see how I go tracking down dies once the barrel is on and will be in touch if needed thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Statistics can be used to prove anything you like, Select your own cartridge/pill combination driving along quickly, against it select a cartridge/ pill combination with a much lesser bc, drive it slowly and viola! your point is proved
    Nope. Nice try but not even vaguely close mate.

Both examples I gave above are using the same muzzle velocity (3,000 ft./sec). Which is a realistic muzzle velocity for both cartridges using those common and popular bullets, not the hottest load and by no means the slowest. It’s the most sensible way of demonstrating the difference between the two cartridges at the range our mate here told us he wants to be able to shoot large deer.

And why when shooting large red deer in particular, I have come to the view that one is more suitable than the other.

I get the .243 fanboy reticence to see the issue for what it is. Remember I have been a .243 shooter since I was in my early teens, 40 years ago. I can out-fanboy the best when it comes to loving the .243 Winchester. In that time there’s only been a handful of years that I have not been in possession of one. I know the cartridge inside out and back to front, just like you.

I also know what 30% more thump looks like at the business end….
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

But if you have to identical rifles chambered in .243 & 6mm cm with 8 twist barrels the same length pushing the same pill there’s going to be a difference in thump??
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Been pondering something similar but .243 v 7mm08. Since I can't afford either at the moment I'll keep pondering.
    Shearer likes this.