Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Access to AR s are about to change

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    I think there is some merit in his argument as I think a lot (not all) of people that hunt with semis get that "if I miss ill just shoot again" mentality
    Seen it plenty of times with semi-auto 22 users bunny shooting! Even did it myself once just for a laugh. Might be different with centrefires, ammo costs a bit more...

Personally I prefer bolt actions the same way I prefer a manual gearbox in a car - the feel of operating the mechanism is part of the experience.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Sorry rambo, but that is complete bullsh*t.
    Agreed, the development of semi automatic rifles for warfare must surely have been because they were more effective at laying down sustained fire than bolt actions.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I don't wanna start a shit fight( or do I? ) but it seems to be the "older" people that never have much good to say about a semi. Never heard a good word about semis from my dad or granddads. A .303 is all you need blah blah
    Here it is Toby(a good word from an old fart that is). Semi Automatic rifles are great. I used a 7.62 SLR with aperture sights in my time in the army (looooong time ago) and most soldiers of the day could easily shoot a five round group that you could cover with a matchbox.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ebf.

Why in your opinion, do semi automatic firearms require more stringent control?
    Ryan, because with a semi it is possible to keep up a sustained rate of rapid fire, especially with high capacity magazines. If I had to choose a firearm to defend myself against a horde, that is exactly what I would want, unfortunately it is also what makes them so attractive to the Rambo types.

To state this in a different way, if you have some nutcase intent on a spree killing or a crim thinking about an armed home invasion, would you rather they have a single shot or bolt action, or a semi or to bring it closer to home for guys on this forum, if some numpty takes a shot at you in the bush without identifying their target, would you like to be on the receiving end of a semi ?

I think there are very valid reasons for owning and using semis, I just don't think that plinking, or "I like shooting shit" is a valid enough reason...

I think it is more than possible to hunt without semis, I think you can do duck-shooting quite successfully with twin shotties.

In all my years of shooting (military, recreation and competitive) I have yet to come across a person that does not start blasting away when handed a semi.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

You could quite easily take that further and say, you don't really need any firearm, for any reason, in our society.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Ryan, because with a semi it is possible to keep up a sustained rate of rapid fire, especially with high capacity magazines. If I had to choose a firearm to defend myself against a horde, that is exactly what I would want, unfortunately it is also what makes them so attractive to the Rambo types.

To state this in a different way, if you have some nutcase intent on a spree killing or a crim thinking about an armed home invasion, would you rather they have a single shot or bolt action, or a semi or to bring it closer to home for guys on this forum, if some numpty takes a shot at you in the bush without identifying their target, would you like to be on the receiving end of a semi ?

I think there are very valid reasons for owning and using semis, I just don't think that plinking, or "I like shooting shit" is a valid enough reason...

I think it is more than possible to hunt without semis, I think you can do duck-shooting quite successfully with twin shotties.

In all my years of shooting (military, recreation and competitive) I have yet to come across a person that does not start blasting away when handed a semi.
    So given the way the licensing system works here (and with out starting a fight), do you think there should be "degrees" of "fit and properness"? In my book you either are or aren't.

Disclaimer: up till this week I hunted with a semi but decided I needed more horsepower and it would not matter if the "numpty" used a semi or anything else the result would be the same, and sadly in fact it has been.
    veitnamcam and scaggly like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

You could also add that most of the numpties or what you may call them, who shoot at you in the bush with a bolt action, tend to have a pretty good track record of finding the mark with the first shot.
    m39 likes this.

Feel Felt Found EBF . I know how you feel I felt the same way. I found that that's bull. We are possibly around the same age .
    I wondered why the f... Anyone would want one. I tried one. Get your self an AR My last two fallow one hind one neat stag took one shot each and we're moving Not running moving . Sorry are those statements mindset or factual experiences in NZ that you have personally witnessed and if so you hangin with the wrong hunters !!

Hunters that turn the hunt into a competitive event are not suitable to have an FAL or any firearm. Competitors should know better or get told real quick. Military should be looked after by their own as well and disciplined or changed to suitable other duties . It's all part of the bigger picture. I reckon you ll find there are F all firearms incidents of stupidity with semis . If there are throw away the keys to the cell. Oopsy bit ranty sorry
    Last edited by Happy; 18-06-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    mikee, m39 and scaggly like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

I'm with Happy. Didn't see a need for them, then I tried one. Now I won't be without one. Accurate, balanced, easy to use, easy to fix/modify/upgrade.

I also don't see much point in putting restrictions on those of us who already follow the rules. People who break the rules and commit crimes with guns aren't going to stop because of one extra restriction are they?

ebf
    Happy, I have owned semi centrefire in the past. I have a Marlin 795 for bunny busting at the moment.

Mikee, I see firearms licensing much like driver licensing. Would dearly like to see a practical competency component, and not so much degrees of fit and properness, but levels of licensing. Truck / bus driver example of earlier.

I know this whole discussion is around semis, and a lot of you guys feel quite strongly about it, but let's look at it in the context of handguns. Do you understand the reasons for more restrictions on handguns ? Or do you see handguns and semi rifles in the same light and believe anyone should be able to have one ?

Quote Originally Posted by scaggly View Post

I also don't see much point in putting restrictions on those of us who already follow the rules. People who break the rules and commit crimes with guns aren't going to stop because of one extra restriction are they?
    Exactly right.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Happy, I have owned semi centrefire in the past. I have a Marlin 795 for bunny busting at the moment.

Mikee, I see firearms licensing much like driver licensing. Would dearly like to see a practical competency component, and not so much degrees of fit and properness, but levels of licensing. Truck / bus driver example of earlier.

I know this whole discussion is around semis, and a lot of you guys feel quite strongly about it, but let's look at it in the context of handguns. Do you understand the reasons for more restrictions on handguns ? Or do you see handguns and semi rifles in the same light and believe anyone should be able to have one ?
    Totally. And that last sentence sounds a little dramatic - not anybody can own a semi auto rifle.

I reckon that's a whole different subject requiring different rules for one reason only and that's the ability for concealed carry which means things can escalate way too fast

Back to topic are you experiencing Rambo behavior in NZ on a regular basis or is it off shore experiences that apply ? Man with handgun in a way better posse to go downtown incognito don't you think ?
    Have you owned a good quality AR ? Or taken one hunting in NZ in the right situation. Do the paperwork send the permit I ll send you mine for a coupla weeks. Or we could go to a private block I know of in Wanganui and you could have a total hands on look at it ?
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Do you understand the reasons for more restrictions on handguns ? Or do you see handguns and semi rifles in the same light and believe anyone should be able to have one ?
    And again EBF I am not trying to argue too much
    but
    Yes, yes and again Fit and Proper is Fit and Proper, maybe be different security requirements.
    Just because I have been vetted 3 times and have regularly inspected security does that actually make me more "fitter and properer" and anyone else who has a std licence.

Put the other way how can someone deemed not "fit and proper" on an endorsement application be still considered fit and proper to retain the std license they already hold?
    dogmatix, Happy, Banana and 1 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

ebf
    Happy, range behaviour. Very rarely see other people in the bush, mostly go mid week.

No AR. Had FN FAL and M1 carbine, never really been a fan of 223 (holes are too bloody tiny )

Wangers sounds like a plan (shot the fallow spiker there last year) will talk to you offline.
    mikee and Happy like this.