Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Ageing vision, glasses lenses and options.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    can anyone confirm is Laser correction permanent ? I have heard that it isn't and your eyesight will deteriorate back to it's original state over the course of a few years

Normally good for 20ish years as long as your eyesight is stable. It essentially resets your vision. But you will still get long sighted with age as your eyeball shrinks and hardens. If you have enough thickness in your cornea you can get it corrected again down the track.
    dannyb likes this.

northdude
    My eyesight isnt what it used to be but some days it's good and others not so good guess I should of listened when they said playing with it will make you go blind
    KW1 likes this.

Yes Danny that is correct. But if you started wearing glasses at 18 then you will most likely may get another 18 years before you might need another correction. That’s what the wife was told when she had hers done 15 years ago. She was treated for short sightedness.
    Not everyone can have it as it dose depend on the size of your eye socket. Small ones they can’t get the eye opener in to keep ya lids from slamming shut as the poach ya eggs
    Just because you get treated for say shortsightedness won’t mean that your eyes won’t deteriorate for longsightedness. Is laser worth it?
    My opinion YES! Man you only have one life why spend it stumbling around looking for glasses or poking your self in the eyeballs with lenses and eye wash?
    5000 divided by 18 years only comes out at 1.31, when you look at how much we spend on other junk it’s really a no brainier!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

The Original Striker
    As someone that wears glasses 16+ hrs a day, since 18months old
    I go for ultra high index plastic lenses(poly), get the anti scratch coating and don't treat them as disposables.
    CR39 is Refractive Index 1.5 or so, ask options for 1.67 or 1.74 lenses
    Learn to not touch your lenses unless with a CLEAN lens cloth and always wet with cleaning fluid.
    I upgrade every two years regardless.

A -0.75 is a very mild prescription and shouldn't be that costly to make especially here in NZ.
    who is your optometrist brand? maybe time for a second opinion
    Mine are only in the order of $700, ultra high index plastic-(Poly) anti scratch, anti reflection and transition- 4 week cut time though.

As a side note, Ill point out as a driver, Glass in thinner prescriptions has been known to do nasty things when introduced to vehicle airbags
    Woody likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Ive worn glasses for 52 years and love em, eyes always protected!! Tried contacts for hunting, if the wind got you the right way, the lense was blown from your eye. So back to glasses
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I may need some, at first i thought i was reading about aging venison
    dannyb, kiwi-adam and KW1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    I may need some, at first i thought i was reading about aging venison
    thank goodness I'm not the only one
    matto1234 and kiwi-adam like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    As someone that wears glasses 16+ hrs a day, since 18months old
    I go for ultra high index plastic lenses(poly), get the anti scratch coating and don't treat them as disposables.
    CR39 is Refractive Index 1.5 or so, ask options for 1.67 or 1.74 lenses
    Learn to not touch your lenses unless with a CLEAN lens cloth and always wet with cleaning fluid.
    I upgrade every two years regardless.

A -0.75 is a very mild prescription and shouldn't be that costly to make especially here in NZ.
    who is your optometrist brand? maybe time for a second opinion
    Mine are only in the order of $700, ultra high index plastic-(Poly) anti scratch, anti reflection and transition- 4 week cut time though.

As a side note, Ill point out as a driver, Glass in thinner prescriptions has been known to do nasty things when introduced to vehicle airbags
    From what I recently researched it seems the "high" prescriptions generally require thicker lenses. Glass is the heaviest (as well as being risky if shattered because it is relatively weak) although having great clarity. The plastic CR39 which is almost glass clear is light but also rather too bulky if a "high" presciption is required and that bulk then creates weight. The benifits of poly' are light weight and can meet "high " prescription requirement with relatively thin but strong lenses; hence the high safety factor where highet risk occupations or children wearers are factors. It seems various coatings / filters can be applied as options to any of the above three mediums.
    In my case I am having lenses made for two pairs of spectacles.These will be "plain" lenses (not transition, progressives or bifocal) but will incorporate a multi purpose coating including :- scratch resistant, anti reflective, anti mud and smear, water dispersing and uv proof. The cost of the test plus measure for lenses in my own frames plus manufacture and fitting will approach nz$800.
    (My existing frames are made by Randolph Engineering in the USA to NASA specs. The side arms are good, having the old fashioned big "curved around the lug hole hooks")
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

this thread is really interesting .... only problem I just cant read it, must need new glasses.
    @Woody does any regular optician offer the C39 plastic and/or polycarb ? Assume the pc ones will cheaper than glass ?
    My current pair of glasses w progressive lenses are getting pretty beaten up after a bit of bush basking past few years. Will need to repalce in next 12 mo or so

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    this thread is really interesting .... only problem I just cant read it, must need new glasses.
    @Woody does any regular optician offer the C39 plastic and/or polycarb ? Assume the pc ones will cheaper than glass ?
    My current pair of glasses w progressive lenses are getting pretty beaten up after a bit of bush basking past few years. Will need to repalce in next 12 mo or so
    Most nz opticians will have an account with nikon or essilor here in nz that can do both those grade lenses.
    I have +9.5 and astig cut here in nz, haven't had to out source overseas unless to PSG in OZ for work safeties
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

CR39 is generally the standard lens material but they seem to push polycarbonate on the "safety" thing ,but they alk make more $$ from it than CR39, which is seruiously less costly and actually has greater clarity. Glass is clearest but will blind you if it shatters into your eye. If you google something like: " clearest eyeglasses lense materials and options" ; or "CR39 vs polycarbonate vs crown glass lenses" you will come across a bunch of interesting info. The eyeglasses costs in many places are unregulated and the comparitively dirt cheap lenses available ex asia will make you double take.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Ive always had really good vision (34 now) and ever since I was a kid I can remember pointing things out or reading stuff far away where people who thought they have good vision ask "how the hell can you read/see that?!" I did the mandatory vision test at school and could read the smallest line from right across the room no worries and the optometrist said nobody has ever done that from that distance. But.... I have noticed lately, probably the last 18months or so, even though my eyesight seems fine most of the time I find myself having to blink a few times to "sharpen it up" and after that its fine again, but its happened often enough to annoy me a bit now. I do wonder if theres an issue forming there, or if its just a natural regression that comes with age, I read up a while ago and it seemed that no matter how good your eyesight is, by about age 35 it will start to degrade to varying degrees dependent on the person.
    Cordite likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    CR39 is generally the standard lens material but they seem to push polycarbonate on the "safety" thing ,but they alk make more $$ from it than CR39, which is seruiously less costly and actually has greater clarity. Glass is clearest but will blind you if it shatters into your eye. If you google something like: " clearest eyeglasses lense materials and options" ; or "CR39 vs polycarbonate vs crown glass lenses" you will come across a bunch of interesting info. The eyeglasses costs in many places are unregulated and the comparitively dirt cheap lenses available ex asia will make you double take.
    Let alone the shafting that occurs with the price of frames.

This link (american) gives some v good info in plain language, read it right to the end.
    https://opticianworks.com/the-consumers-guide-10-11-15/
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I've worn glasses for 51 years, so kinda use to them. I haven't used glass lenses for dont know how long, too heavy, too thick, too expensive. I now order my glasses online, from Clearly or Go Clearly. My last glasses from the optometrist cost me just under $1100! Ordered some online, same prescription, and arrived 2 weeks later for just over $300. I get poly or CR39, get the coatings, and have progressive lenses. The only reason I will use an optometrist now is for an eye exam, which I pay for, but then get my prescription. I also have a separate set of the same glasses in polaroid. My son doesnt even bother with all the bells and whistles, he buys a pair about every 6 months for under $100, then it doesnt matter if he garks them in the workshop.