Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Ageing vision, glasses lenses and options.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i got to 50 without needing glasses, i only need them for reading....
    Im exactly the same, now for close up stuff and book work, Im stuffed. Said to my doctor a few years back "Im going blind", his reply, "no, you're getting old". Bastard!. I just keep about 3 pairs of those 1.75x from the chemist about, they are good enough for me.

Had a medical for drivers licence renewal last month, no trouble, so long range Im fine. Close up, my eyes are gone burgers.

Good to read this thread though, it will come in useful when long range starts to fail.

Hopefully by the time I need them, they will have a built in range finder
    Phil_H likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

If dim light and close up work are the main problems then you may havecataracts (everyone gets some after about 50 yo).

Cataract surgey replaces your flexible focussable lens with a fixed plastic lens. If the rest of your eye is still good it can give excellent vision although flare with oncoming lights at. Night can be a problem.

When they put the artificL lens in they can often correct a bit of astigmatism at the same time.

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    When they put the artificL lens in they can often correct a bit of astigmatism at the same time.
    And add or subtract to your base prescription too
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    Im exactly the same, now for close up stuff and book work, Im stuffed. Said to my doctor a few years back "Im going blind", his reply, "no, you're getting old". Bastard!. I just keep about 3 pairs of those 1.75x from the chemist about, they are good enough for me.

Had a medical for drivers licence renewal last month, no trouble, so long range Im fine. Close up, my eyes are gone burgers.

Good to read this thread though, it will come in useful when long range starts to fail.

Hopefully by the time I need them, they will have a built in range finder
    Same for me, need glasses for reading, phone, GPS, but mid range (e.g. watching tv) and long range still good. I carry a pair of the fold-up glasses in my ammo pouch when I go hunting. I have also wondered if my low light vision isn't what it used to be, especially if there are patches of bright light as well.

Yep for reading I need the cheapo glasses but still not to bad further out, will see how the driving test goes at the end of the year, that might change things a bit.

I'm shortsighted. Hate glasses (fog up in the bush).

Wear contact lenses now, and I like them. Contact lens technology has improved a great deal. You can get lenses that you can leave in your eyes for up to 3 weeks at a time (including sleeping in).

I've looked into Lasik, but because my eyes haven't settled (I'm 24), they recommended I wait a few more years. Bit hesitant to spend the money when contacts are pretty convenient anyway, and give me flexibility if my prescription changes.

I looked into lasik but it’s not for me. I am pretty short sighted and have worn glasses since age 11. But my close up vision is great. If I got surgery I’d be on again off again with glasses for closer in. Which would be a faff. With progressives I just have glasses on all the time which is less hassle. Although fogging in the bush can be a pain. Sometimes I go for contacts but then I need reading glasses.

Also I don’t trust eye surgery. I don’t want the risk.