Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Ageing vision, glasses lenses and options.

i got to 50 without needing glasses, i only need them for reading large amount and for close up electronic work ( some of the stuff i work on is practically micro-surgery. think 128 separate pins on something the size of a thumb nail)
    interestingly after a lifetime of sound system work my hearing is bloody good and i can still hear damn well.

Re polaroid. I am goung to buy a set of polaroid clipon. Nicely made and in a strong slim container. $24. Just attach when you need em.
    chainsaw likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Re polaroid. I am goung to buy a set of polaroid clipon. Nicely made and in a strong slim container. $24. Just attach when you need em.
    By the by; The most annoying thing about ageing eyeballs is a really frustrating loss of vision acuity in very dull to dark conditions. In young days I could see pretty well in starlight, but no way now. Corrective lenses really are needed "big time" at dawn and dusk now. Without good spec the evening shoot on ducks stops for me 15 minutes before younger persons because I simply cannot see them unless there is moon behind cloud.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I’ve been using contacts for 30 years. They correct astigmatisms in both my eyes as well as very short sightedness. Providing my current prescription does not change in the next 12 months I’ll get Lasik. Would have got it years ago but an optometrist told me it can reduce your night vision somewhat. Now I’m not worried about that so much.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

I have tried polycarbonate and toughened glass in several pairs of glasses over the years. Now I go with polycarbonate every time, they are cheaper, lighter and tougher than glass.

Dago
    @dannyb.

I had Laser corrective over 25 years back and can still pass the driver licence eyetest. It was the best money I ever spent.

Dago
    @ishoot10s. Your optometrist is right about loss in night vision. Also experienced a corona-effect with lights which takes getting used to.
    ishoot10s likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    By the by; The most annoying thing about ageing eyeballs is a really frustrating loss of vision acuity in very dull to dark conditions. In young days I could see pretty well in starlight, but no way now. Corrective lenses really are needed "big time" at dawn and dusk now. Without good spec the evening shoot on ducks stops for me 15 minutes before younger persons because I simply cannot see them unless there is moon behind cloud.
    I have the same issue in dull light, but I fixed that. When Im duckshooting my mate is deaf, but bloody good eyes. Im half blind, but bloody good hearing. So I tell him theres something coming, and he tells me where they are! Win, win
    rugerman, ishoot10s, Woody and 4 others like this.

I have had glasses for reading for 20yrs or so and 10yrs ago needed a bit of a tweak for long vision. I'm using progressives with anti scratch coatings etc. Cost about 1300 bucks. Pretty sure they are glass. Still scratch the he'll out of them. Progressives I feel are dangerous when hunting. Glancing down to where you are putting your feet can be out of focus and I've come a gutser when the step was further than it looked. Glasses are poor in low light in bush and can affect your shooting. I wear contacts for all hunting and shooting. They are great and you can get ones you can leave in for 7days. If I shoot with glasses on I've found the poi is out by about 2inches at 100mtr
    Woody likes this.

Yes. I tried progressives for hunting several years ago and had same problems you describe. Bifocals similar, in bush / rough ground; bad news. Now I stick with plain lens. For longer range precise shooting I dont use glasses , just scope and focus / diopter ring.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I buy my glasses from either in Russia or from the USA online ,i have mild astigmatism and minus 0.75
    Opsm want $950 for progressives full monty re all extras landed here $370 done it for 10 years with no problems. Worth looking at if you are prepared to wait to get them ,,cheapest glass ones about $170...i use 39 dollar glasses in the US

Quote Originally Posted by DemocKot View Post
    I buy my glasses from either in Russia or from the USA online ,i have mild astigmatism and minus 0.75
    Opsm want $950 for progressives full monty re all extras landed here $370 done it for 10 years with no problems. Worth looking at if you are prepared to wait to get them ,,cheapest glass ones about $170...i use 39 dollar glasses in the US
    what websites ? do they have a good selection of quality frames ?
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    I have had glasses for reading for 20yrs or so and 10yrs ago needed a bit of a tweak for long vision. I'm using progressives with anti scratch coatings etc. Cost about 1300 bucks. Pretty sure they are glass. Still scratch the he'll out of them. Progressives I feel are dangerous when hunting. Glancing down to where you are putting your feet can be out of focus and I've come a gutser when the step was further than it looked. Glasses are poor in low light in bush and can affect your shooting. I wear contacts for all hunting and shooting. They are great and you can get ones you can leave in for 7days. If I shoot with glasses on I've found the poi is out by about 2inches at 100mtr
    Look after your eyes with contacts...............I used the monthly disposibles as directed by the optician about 10 years ago. Ended up with a corneal ulcer and 90% chance of losing my sight in my right eye (most important eye as far as I was concerned). Medical intervention and luck saw me recover and i still wear contacts but daily disposables and toss them after the day (even though I know I could wear them a bit longer).
    rugerman and Woody like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    what websites ? do they have a good selection of quality frames ?
    i use 39 dollar glasses.com
    https://www.39dollarglasses.com/
    Lots of frames etc and sunglasses efc .get your prescription look at frames ,you can print them out actual size and model on your face and proceed ,jusy have aplay there are other sites as well.good luck
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

I need glasses for spotting stuff long range, but really need to take them off to look through the scope otherwise it's a bit out of focus. A right pain in the jacksy.
    When I was younger I could get 1.5 inch groups at 100m with the brno with a 4X tasco scope by seeing where I was aiming. Oh the joy of getting old