Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Best first firearm?

MB
    22WMR with the option of subsonic rounds. I think the latter makes it a very versatile calibre. Otherwise 22LR. Too much boom in a 12g to recommend as a starter gun for everyone!
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    22WMR with the option of subsonic rounds. I think the latter makes it a very versatile calibre. Otherwise 22LR. Too much boom in a 12g to recommend as a starter gun for everyone!
    i just tried the hornady 40gr " ultimate defence" subsonic rounds, while they make a good hole on impact they really dont group well for me compared to HV rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Cody.a View Post
    Hi there I have recently made a YouTube channel and i plan on making a video on the best first firearm.
    Good luck with your video channel.

You need to define the purpose for the first firearm to define what your answer will be.

My son began target shooting at 14, having never shot before.
    I took advice and bought a Savage Model 12 .223 for him to use.
    He developed good technique and did not develop a flinch using this rifle.
    After a season he moved to a .308 and has had good success with that.

So for him the answer to you question is "a heavy barreled .223" - but that won't be the answer for many.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i just tried the hornady 40gr " ultimate defence" subsonic rounds, while they make a good hole on impact they really dont group well for me compared to HV rounds
    That's a shame. Winchester make them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    That's a shame. Winchester make them as well.
    I tried the winchester subs and they grouped very well in the volquartsen , not sure if they are 40g or 45 without checking the box . Just didn't cycle but that was to be expected .
    Interestingly the rifle instructions say never to use the hornady "critical defence" rounds .
    born to hunt - forced to work

Bolt action 22lr 1st rifle remember though lots of people who have just got there fal have done a bit of shooting prior to getting fal with mates etc so may not be completely newbe if we are talking about starting your kids definitely a 22 bolt action or single shot it’s easier for you as a supervisor than a semi

1st centerfire 222/223 243,6.5cm or possibly a 7-08
    Something lighter recoiling

Greetings All,
    My first firearm and best at the time was a Daisy BB gun. I used green bottlebrush seeds instead of BB's that you couldn't get anyway so pellets were not a problem. It wasn't powerful enough to actually hurt anything so I was allowed to use it unsupervised (horrors). This was my first and best so far firearm until I bought a Parker Hale .303 at about 17. I think being able to practise at home, we had a large section, was a great advantage. Even set up a range for my Slazenger bow out of hay bales at home as well. I think the bow would have been more lethal by a clear margin.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Cyclops likes this.

My first firearm was a bolt action 7mm08 weatherby. Love it. I don't think it is possible to objectively state what is THE BEST first firearm or best firearm period.

my first was a diana 177, then a bsa 177, then a bsa 22 (all airguns)
    first 22 lr was a winchester thumb trigger ( oh hell be worth a mint nowadays)
    then numerous 22's, 308's and all between

Best first gun Easy .22 bolt action; Reason is cheap to shoot for practise, negligible recoil and can be use to hunt small game after learning to shoot.

Best first gun to hunt most game in NZ would need to meet similar criteria to the reasons for the 22. So 308 or 223 would be my first preference as the plethora of ammo and availability of cheaper options like Barnaul or FMJ means that plenty of practise wont cost you an arm and a leg.

Break open shotgun would be my pick for first shotgun too. singles are usually cheaper but there are some cheaper doubles in the second hand market too.

Bear in mind, you cannot hunt water fowl with centrefire rifles, and I would not suggest a first timer hunting deer or pigs with a shotgun.

Brand does not matter as much. There are many different options out there and most will perform better than the shooter. And remember - for a new shooter..it is all about practise.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Breech loader, single shot. Perfect.

Pretty hard to beat my 22-250, my first and still favourite calibre (so far)

Learn to shoot first,223 no recoil and cheap to feed.Will drop most small game,makes hunting interesting and fun.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Best gun to learn to shoot with, open sight slug gun

Cheap to run & safe to shoot.
    Huntfisheat likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Bit like asking who your first root should be. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.