Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best Howa mini action barrel - Blue/HB/Stainless?

Nothing wrong with either Howa option provided you look after them. Have had my Blued in the wet plenty. I just make sure I towel it down at the end of the day and give it the oil rag treatment. No different with any of my other rifles. Why risk not giving it a wipe down?
    veitnamcam and Ftx325 like this.

I have a S/s and cant say I have had any problems with it rusting.
    Gets blood mud and rain on it and I just give it a wipe before I put it away.
    kiwi-adam and Ftx325 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hmmm - I've had 3 of the mini's now and they all functioned OK. The stainless one I had didn't fare well on a rough Stewart Is trip (rained the while time and the hut leaked, luckily not at the end I slept in haha), bloody thing went rusty overnight and the staining from the rust never really came out. The blued ones have quite a rough finish (I wouldn't call it a polish at all) and they'll also rust quickly but at least they don't stain once you clean them up.
    This happens with lots of modern rifles. I had it happen to a remington 700, browning x, bolt, Tikka and a kimber. It's due to the finish they now do to save money of just sandblasting to get the matter look. I took the same kimber polished it then had it lightly sanded to matte it out again haven't had the issue since and have done a few 8 day soaking wet trips.

I heard from a very reputable gunsmith that he does this to all barrels as the factory just go straight to sandblasting leaving bigger microscopic pits that hold the water making it far more prone to rust. Having done this it seems there's something to it.
    veitnamcam, rupert and takbok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    The original Ruger m77 mk2 was proper stainless. Don't think I have ever seen and corrosion whatsoever on one of those. Don't make em like they used to that's for sure.
    I have a few this is where the gunsmith got the idea of polishing the barrels first. I pulled my old man's 223 out of the gun case while home it had blood on it. I asked when he last shot it and said he shot a pig with it about 3 years ago before he brought his AR. The blood wiped off and it wasnt even discolored underneath.
    Bill999 and Ftx325 like this.

Wet rifles need care and attention, period.

Use a decent protective coating for starters. I use Eezox, works very well. A fresh application once every month or so, allow to dry overnight. On wet days back at the hut / cabin / fly camp whatever, pop the barrelled action out of the stock at give it a wipe down with a small towel, then a wipe with a small cloth that’s been used routinely with your protective coating of choice (one up on the old oily rag, but an oily rag will do). I carry one in a small ziplock bag. Then use a pull through to ensure the barrel is dry. I stand my rifles back from the fireplace and allow them to dry overnight.

I’ve got stainless and blued Howa, Browning, Sako and Tikka here, all will spot rust quickly if you don’t care for them. Very noticeable improvement when using a quality protective product.
    Preacher, caberslash and Ftx325 like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    This happens with lots of modern rifles. I had it happen to a remington 700, browning x, bolt, Tikka and a kimber. It's due to the finish they now do to save money of just sandblasting to get the matter look. I took the same kimber polished it then had it lightly sanded to matte it out again haven't had the issue since and have done a few 8 day soaking wet trips.

I heard from a very reputable gunsmith that he does this to all barrels as the factory just go straight to sandblasting leaving bigger microscopic pits that hold the water making it far more prone to rust. Having done this it seems there's something to it.
    How do you go about doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    How do you go about doing it?
    I just polished everything with Sandpaper not sure what grit just what I had till it was pretty shiny (kept clear of the muzzle) .

Then hit it with metal polish (plugged the action and muzzle with playdough to stop it getting into the barrel) and polished everything to a mirror finish. Used a rag then finished it with a polish pad on a dremel.

Then washed it all done with brake cleaner to get rid of all the polish etc. (used a whole can as was pretty paranoid about the polish.).

Then have a mate at a engineering shop just give it a light sand blast (I don't know shit about what's involved in terms of material grot etc was used.) and that was it. Hasn't rusted since.

I still oil it in the safe but I did 9 days up Lewis of which I was rained at some point each day for 8 of the days and never had any issues.

I do need to do my bolt handle though as I didn't do it and it has a slight shadow from that trip.
    Last edited by Stocky; 03-11-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Edited to make reading easier
    Bill999 and Preacher like this.

Get the blued one and spend the $80 odd on Duracoat from Findlay's. Beg, borrow or steal spray equipment and it's a piss easy process. Might even find some GC that will lash it on for you for box of beers.

I still give them a light wipe with oil over the coat but never seen even a speck of rust after loads of water, definitely holds up better than my last stainless Howa 1500.
    Last edited by Preacher; 03-11-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Fckn autocorrect
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Get the blued one and spend the $80 odd on Duracoat from Findlay's. Beg, borrow or steal spray equipment and it's a piss easy process. Might even find some GC that will lash it on for you for box of beers.

I still give them a light wipe with oil over the coat but never seen even a speck of rust after loads of water, definitely holds up better than my last stainless Howa 1500.
    Doesn't protect the bore though and it's not overly durable I rubbed though mine having it strapped to my pack luckily stainless rifle so a non issue but I won't cerakote another.

Not Cerakoted, Duracoat. Easy to touch up and applied correctly is pretty freaking solid after the month or so to fully cure. Still just like "stainless" it ain't a magic bullet.

Never had anything Cerakoted but haven't been that impressed with my mates rifle for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Although not all application is equal for both products, have seen two factory Cerakoted rifles exactly the same and treated similarly in use, one looks like new the other is patchy and gross. The Friday 3pm special I reckon.

Supposed to be more durable than Duracoat but can't be easily touched up.

Bore is easy. Use electrical tape over muzzle and run an oiled patch end of day and dry one before days hunt.

Personally have never seen any difference between stainless or blued regarding the propensity to rust the bore. It the external stuff that I have found most glaring.
    Last edited by Preacher; 03-11-2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Added some
    Stocky likes this.

I almost forgot I have found scope ring screws are always a c@nt. Even borderline soaked in oil I am constantly fighting rust in the allen sockets.
    Stocky likes this.

The bore is not an issue, just run a bore snake at the start and end of each day. Couple of drops of oil on the snake at the end of the day always helps, again, this is not specific to Howa, I do this with any rifle.