Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Best value no frills 3-9 hunting scope

Certainly cheap scopes can suffer from poor flatness of field, edge sharpness and chromatic aberration. What you're probably alluding to is having trouble getting the reticle and image "focussed" but it's not necessarily a parallax problem per se. I've certainly seen that issue in cheapies.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Certainly cheap scopes can suffer from poor flatness of field, edge sharpness and chromatic aberration. What you're probably alluding to is having trouble getting the reticle and image "focussed" but it's not necessarily a parallax problem per se. I've certainly seen that issue in cheapies.
    What I mean is moving head side to side behind the target and measuring the error against a target board with lined Moa spacings, some scopes have a greater error at any range than others.
    I guess that we would both recommend carefully checking and comparing a cheap scope for these errors before buying

Z3 3 x9 hands down the best glass for the money
    Moa Hunter and Mathias like this.

Best value no frills 3-9 hunting scope

There’s a sightron s2 bigsky on tardme at the moment. Think the bigsky versions were made in Japan and were well regarded.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...3218775780.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    What I mean is moving head side to side behind the target and measuring the error against a target board with lined Moa spacings, some scopes have a greater error at any range than others.
    I guess that we would both recommend carefully checking and comparing a cheap scope for these errors before buying
    Yep, that's def parallax. What scope was that??

Certainly, if your eyes get pulled by looking through a scope after fine-tuning what's possible, chances are you're looking through a cheapie

Banned
    Yep, that's def parallax. What scope was that??

Certainly, if your eyes get pulled by looking through a scope after fine-tuning what's possible, chances are you're looking through a cheapie
    Worst was a Jap nikko silver crown 4x, 100mm to each side of target whilst other scopes were at maybe 10mm. Normally the nikkos are pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Nikko sterling panamax for value is bloody hard to beat, hawke are also excellent most people think they are air rifle scopes but they are air rifle rated so are built bloody well. Put a leuopold or ziess on a springer air rifle and see how long it lasts.
    Agreed re airgun scopes. I had a Stoeger airgun scope on my x39 bush rifle for years. Never missed a beat despite rather rough treatment.
    Actually still got it in my box of spares for emergency.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Big fan of the VX1 3-9. They just work. Nothing fancy and if you’re only shooting close distances, you don’t need the best glass in the world.
    I was looking for one for a short Tikka I just bought for old man. Happened to be in Gun City getting some primers and asked if they had any second hand 3-9 or 4-12 leupold. Had a mint condition 4-12 that was advertised as a 3-9. Got it for $400. Even has a couple mildots on vertical reticle. I was stoked.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Sorted guys got something off a fallow member who pm’d on the off chance
    nor-west and Micky Duck like this.

Your easiest and best choice is the Meopta Optika5 2-10x42. You can choose the Z-Plus reticle and you'll have drops for longer shots or just run it straight up with a 100 yard zero. The 1” tube Optika5 2-10x42 is available in 2 configurations, with or without side-mounted adjustable parallax (PA). Both models feature MeoBright lens coatings for optimal light transmission and MeoDrop hydrophobic water-repellant coating. Fixed parallax 2-10x42s are set parallax-free at 100 yards. The 1 without PA comes in under $300 US. They are tough to find in the states since a few reviews popped up talking about the quality and internal construction. Maybe a bit easier for you obtain?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Sorted guys got something off a fallow member who pm’d on the off chance
    sure he wasn't a sika or red?

Assume you meant fellow
    bumblefoot and Waldo Peens like this.

sure he wasn't a sika or red?

Assume you meant fellow
    Must have fallow on the brain shot a few of late deer that is to Clarify lol
    Waldo Peens likes this.