Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: To Bushpig or not to Bushpig this is the question what are your thoughts?

Banned
    Good thought @Mangle. Ssts be great at chopped barrel speeds. Stainless baffle and go
    JD300 likes this.

If you were looking for a 30 cal - Hunter Nick had an excellent offer for his 308 Remington - complete with DPT too. Great accuracy too, and short, with 16.5 inch barrel.https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....%241000-65990/
    JD300 likes this.

Like Mickey Duck said, there’s a reason the NZ Hunter crew used the 270 in their latest seasons.
    jord likes this.

Stevodog my mates Tikka wi the short barrel and 140's just works....he's chopped and changed so many rifles but just keeps coming back to that combo because it just works....
    JD300 likes this.

The shorter you go the larger the holes in the Barrel.
    But note recoil and noise increase.
    308 Family case size , 30, 338, 358 will all make Big holes and the best use of a short barrel.
    of course a 7m08 or 243 will do the job.
    Z
    Moa Hunter and JD300 like this.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Chop and muffle the 270 and run with that. What ever factory round you want and don't overthink it.
    jord and Micky Duck like this.

Have you got any photos & anything you would have set up different on it?I am thinking of building one the same in the new year,l have never used a over barrel suppressor are they more efficient in noise reduction ?Would you still go with the same barrel length?

I think the mossbergs are 22"
    In terms of short and handy I would think 20" with a suppressor on the end is a good place to be, I have used plenty of rifles setup like this and they seem to become the go to.

Can loose a few inches overall length going for a different suppressor, most varying from 3-6" muzzle forward.

I still like my 24" barreled .270 and took it hunting in the weekend
    dannyb likes this.

Greg duley ran the numbers and I think to 300m the 270 bushpig outperformed the 308 and 7mm08. Fusion and federal trophy bonded tips are what they run. Need a good suppressor for a short 270 though

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Like Mickey Duck said, there’s a reason the NZ Hunter crew used the 270 in their latest seasons.
    Sponsors made them?
    257weatherby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Hi @Timmay,
    not trying to hi-jack the thread but can you detail a little more on your experience with the .308 130grn TTSX's. I have a ladder of them loaded ready to take to the range. What issues were you finding with them?

Cheers
    Phil
    Na Dig in mate I'm keen to know too all gun talk is good gun talk.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD300 View Post
    Sponsors made them?
    Sponsors were providing factory rifles and factory ammo. The crew then had to work out what was more effective in that setup for a short rifle. Turned out the 270 beat the others hence they used it.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and JD300 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    what about a 160gr heavy in the 270? If its not for far away stuff doesnt have to be loaded so hot
    or this maybe from a tried and tested 270 fanboy? light bullet going fast maybe not recoil as much?
    Already have the rifle
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....6-270-a-43283/
    Good to read these two threads as I plan on doing this to my 270. Will be reloading so should be able to sort something that works.

The only reason they choose the 270 was thats the best of the Tikkas .

Just a thought the concept of the bush pig was a short rifle easier to handle and maneuver through scrub and also be capable of shooting through light obstructions twigs etc without the bullet being deflected. Typical ranges being within 100 but occasionally 200 or possibly more.
    So a "slow" heavy bullet seems the most appropriate for the task it will scrub bust and if the opportunity presents for a longer shot it's not too hard to compensate for a small amount of drop.
    A 308 with 180 grain bullets would be pretty good I think. I have been hunting with a guy who shot a pig at 220 yards and a deer at 30 with a 3030 on the same trip. Trajectory is easy to compensate for if and when you need to. Usually there is plenty of time available when taking longer shots as opposed to the spook n shoot when you have to take what's on offer in that situation possibly shooting through stuff I can't see a fast as fuck bullet brings anything to the party. What the duleys did I think was apply conventional rifle thinking to a short barrel version keeping flat trajectory at the top of the list and to my mind that not what a bush pig is about.
    Micky Duck, Got-ya, Phil_H and 1 others like this.