Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: buying my first ar15, seek for some advice

Question about your options, what is/are your purpose with your AR? The rifles mentioned have different "designs", S&W basic SA standard AR design. My "personal" pick from the options is the Stag Arms.
    Last edited by PERRISCICABA; 18-05-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    Question about your options, what is/are your purpose with your AR? The rifles mentioned have different "designs", S&W basic SA standard AR design. My "personal" pick from the options is the Stag Arms.
    HI,

I will mainly be target shooting, wont get much of a chance for any hunting, maybe some goats on a farm. Unless situation changes.
    Maybe competition shooting.

There are also some good second hand options on trademe at the moment. (A Rock rivers lower with a NEA upper).
    Its really hard to know for a first time AR purchaser.

Forgot to mention, I shoot left handed. And understand the S&W no longer has a case deflector, which could be an issue?

Cheers, v.

Quote Originally Posted by han308 View Post
    HI again,

I see that GUNS NZ have finaly got their S&W AR15s in. at what seems a good price. Any thounghts on these;
    S&W M&P15 SPORT 5.56 NATO A or E Cat
    and how they compare to the Stag Arms;
    Stag Arms Model 2, 5.56 NATO 16" A or E Cat

I'd like a chance to see and compare but not likely to get to Auckland anytime soon.

Cheers.
    Ive handled the Stag model 2 after I got sent it instead of a model 4 by mistake, its fine. I do like the Cat A AIL stock option for $99 more which is what I got for the model 4. If you are target shooting the model 4 might be the better option as it has a 20inch barrel and its a rifle length system.

Stag was originally a left hander so I'd get the "L" off them.
    PERRISCICABA and han308 like this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by han308 View Post

Forgot to mention, I shoot left handed. And understand the S&W no longer has a case deflector, which could be an issue?
    They still have the case deflector. S&W has chosen to remove the forward assist and the dust cover, which aren't deal breakers for a sporting rifle.

By all reports I've seen, the S&W Sport are a good option.
    han308 likes this.

Also the stag model 2 has a chrome lined barrel which should last longer, the M&P15 doesnt. For the $300 saved, I think chromed barrels cost $100 more? If you are using it in the rain the dust cover is going to help keep water out when not in use. The forward assist, not sure if its important at all. The big thing for a leftie is the Stag is available in left hand.
    han308 likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    If you are using it in the rain the dust cover is going to help keep water out when not in use.
    Ya.....na.

Not an issue.

How many firearms have dust covers? How many military rifles have dust covers?

You can literally go swimming with rifles.
    Daggers_187 and han308 like this.

My first Semi was a Windham Weaponry Varmint Exterminator. 20" free floating beast that could shoot the willy off a bee at 300m. Bit of an exaggeration there but I was grouping the size of a small pine cone at 200m.....still hitting every shot at 500m on a steel 40x40cm target using cheap 55grain ammo.

started to miss at 600m.

I haven't used a cheap ranger before so I cant comment on them but I've never had a stoppage on the vex. I give her a clean and some frog lube before every shoot and that works fine.

You'll pay more for a windham but they're essentially bushmaster (same factory etc). Well worth the money if you're after accuracy and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Also the stag model 2 has a chrome lined barrel which should last longer, the M&P15 doesnt. For the $300 saved, I think chromed barrels cost $100 more? If you are using it in the rain the dust cover is going to help keep water out when not in use. The forward assist, not sure if its important at all. The big thing for a leftie is the Stag is available in left hand.
    The Smith and Wesson has a melonite treated barrel. Better than chrome. I would buy one if I was after my first AR.
    Kscott likes this.

Watch this...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glk1qMbj7S0&sns=fb

Then think about one of the AR kits at NZAR15 for 2/3rds the price of the cheapest assembled nz guns.
    EK9132 and 300CALMAN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    Watch this...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glk1qMbj7S0&sns=fb

Then think about one of the AR kits at NZAR15 for 2/3rds the price of the cheapest assembled nz guns.
    have you guys sorted out a finance option yet?
    7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

Good judgement is the key to safe use of firearms.

"There's a reason you go to a zoo and you don't get eaten by Lions, they're in the cages. That's how that works."

Hey @Digit,
    I thought about you straightaway and even look around your site for those great offers to suggest but i couldn't find it. Thank you for the reply hope our "friend" find something that suits him.

My advice would be don't get a left handed AR if you shoot left handed, I love the layout on a Right handed setup, once you sort ambi safety and learn technique for bolt release you'll be away laughing.
    And I would never buy an AR for hunting without a forward assist, they're essential for loading relatively quietly, for range or normal target shooting use they're redundant
    dirtyhabit likes this.

Grotto
    Interesting comments from everyone.

I'm thinking of getting a 223 (cheaper ammo, less noise & recoil, and there's space in my safe) and was looking at a mini 14, but after handling an AR I'm having a rethink, but having read all the comments I'm a bit lost with all the choices.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but had a look at the link to GUNSNZ who have S&W M&P15’s for $1,595 -is this a complete rifle?(confused as people have been talking $5,000).

Also, do 556 NATO shoot 223 as well (like mini 14’s).

Excuse my ignorance, a long time since I had contact with firearms.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Yes, the S&W MP15 is a complete rifle.

The days of $5000 'cheap' ARs are all but gone. (Cheap being budget models, Bushmaster, MPs,etc you can still obviously spend a lot on premium ARs Noveske,etc)

Yes you can shoot .223 in a 5.56mm rifle.