Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Finally, a .277” cartridge worth having

Finally, a .277” cartridge worth having

Just...say...the...word

I do feel, if you were truly after a hench .277, you go a 27 nosler or do an 8 twist 270wsm? However factory offered rifles might give it a surge?

yeah nah.....but if wanted to be different and going custom barreled a .277/08 could be interesting...chai latte is acquired taste

I think what people are missing is that it will bring with it better bc and heavier projectile offerings for the 270 calibres. While the offering is not something I'm interested in it may open up building customs on the 270 calibre. Interesting to see if it lasts. I kind of doubt it.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Caretaker
    It’s a 270 saum
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

It has the same COAL as the prc so it will fit in any thing that fits the prc , which rifle wise will be good . Im just waiting now for the 7mm version . What this will mean for 270 owners is finally they will have the bullets that can make their 270 as good as a 280 . The recent interest in the .277 seems to be driven by the the US military so i think this has a part in the choice of why they went that way. Plus a 6.8 western sounds better than 270. I wonder how long before we see a 7mm prc from Hornady as the counter move to this one .
    Moa Hunter likes this.

It’s an optimised .270 WSM and brings nothing new to the party, but will be a good option for those who fancy it. As I have .270, .284 and 7RM rifles in the cabinet it won’t fill any gaps for me.

I often see comments about the US military taking this or that cartridge into service and smile to myself. Of the top of my head they have: 5.56, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, .300Win Mag, .300 Norma Mag, .300 PRC, and .50 BMG in service. No doubt there are others too. All it means is that the US services have no commonality and their procurement process are muddled. Anyway, as Wayno says, if it helps the rest of us it’s not a problem.

If we do get better .277 projectile offerings and it spurs Hornady on to run out the 7mm PRC, that’s great. Of course, ammo production in the tens of millions for the military is more attractive than producing smaller numbers for civilian shooters. The US preppers hoard the rest and we are lucky to get anything.

Some interesting and relevant comments here. https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...-western.8376/
    7mmsaum and Flyblown like this.

wait n see if projectiles become available as reloading components...cant see factory loads being less than $3 a round...probably closer to $5
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    It’s an optimised .270 WSM and brings nothing new to the party
    6.5cm and 300prc brought nothing new to the table when 260, 6.5x55 and 300wm all similar performance.

I think it could be quite good for 270. Mostly because the majority of people dont want to reload. Or custom build a rifle with a fast twist in an existing "better" chambering. But that would also involve reloading as no factory ammo.

Main problem for 270 projectile development being lack of factory chamberings with fast twist barrels for high bc vld type heavy for caliber projectiles. Hopefully this is a start.

Hornadys offerings seemed to take off because they were marketed at competition as well as hunting. This seems to be marketed just as a hunting cartidges.

The creedmoor did bring one advantage over the 260 and that was the bullets are seated as far out as possible so as not intrude on case capacity and fit standard 2.8 inch factory magazines . The slightly longer case of the 260 didnt fit as well and getting those long 6.5 seated meant it would fit the mag ,worked fine in tikkas and modified rems . The creedmoor was designed to work better of the shelf . There are heaps of older things that are improved /modernized and standardized which do nothing the old cartridge did but just come in a modern package that can be brought of the shelf and perform to a level that once required hand loading to and custom rifles to do . But it gives us choice and that is a fun option , Thats why ill be waiting for a 7mm prc it will do nothing that a 7mmsaum wont do but ill be able to go buy ammo over the counter and a rifle and thats what this new 6.8 western will do as well .
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

If you really want a 6.8, just put a little less powder in ya 270 WSM

its 'ideal' for those who dont reload and want a long range '277'.....

it looks pretty neat but is more of an inbetweener than the 6.5 creedmore ever was
    7mmsaum likes this.

This kind of cartridge development is just good engineering, following the same principles as most things we develop, put to use, find shortcomings in and hence make improvements.

Faster barrel twist, longer heavier higher BC bullets, improved chamber dimensions, improved case design, it all adds up to harder hitting bullets on game at longer ranges, and tighter groups on paper at longer ranges. This phenomenon is nothing new, we’ve seen in with several different cartridges & calibres in the last few years.

I welcome these developments as they are logical and sound in principle and application. The .277” bore was always lacking somewhat in new developments, so why not add to the list of choices? I don’t understand the often rabid anti-new-cartridge rants we see on internet forums. It smacks of hypocrisy and narrow mindedness.

You can pretty much guarantee than in years to come, most hunting rifles sold new will have fast twists and be chambered to use heavier, long, high BC bullets. It’s inevitable.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, 199p and 4 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    It’s an optimised .270 WSM and brings nothing new to the party, but will be a good option for those who fancy it. As I have .270, .284 and 7RM rifles in the cabinet it won’t fill any gaps for me.

I often see comments about the US military taking this or that cartridge into service and smile to myself. Of the top of my head they have: 5.56, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, .300Win Mag, .300 Norma Mag, .300 PRC, and .50 BMG in service. No doubt there are others too. All it means is that the US services have no commonality and their procurement process are muddled. Anyway, as Wayno says, if it helps the rest of us it’s not a problem.

If we do get better .277 projectile offerings and it spurs Hornady on to run out the 7mm PRC, that’s great. Of course, ammo production in the tens of millions for the military is more attractive than producing smaller numbers for civilian shooters. The US preppers hoard the rest and we are lucky to get anything.
    Don't forget we have now also adopted 338 Norma Magnum and the special operations command has adopted 6mm ARC. Plus they are working on a new 6.8 or 6.5 cartridge for the M4 service rifle and M249 squad automatic replacement.

The real break threw would have being faster
    Twist 270s like a saum with less punch I'm getting from this