Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: First rifle

Name:  jesus-preaching-2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  61.0 KB

So like I couldn't hit shit with it , what I did hit ran away and now I am like thinking....................... 270 is a "Gay" caliber . Why get something necked down ? Bitch Up guys, go the 30.06

Hey mate, I recently just bought my first rifle too and ended up going for a howa 1500, stainless barrel and a houge stock.
    I didnt really like the scope on it so upgraded that to a leupold and some warn rings.

I ended up going for 308 calibre as seems to be a good all round shooter and ammo not super pricey.
    Was advised to stay away from 7mm 08 but that again is just people opinions.

I found that if you shop around there is definatly some good deals to be had and most people are happy to mix things around to fit your buget/liking.

Pretty happy with the package I got and sure it will be fit for purpose for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Start off on the right foot mate, caliber is simply the size of the hole, 308 could be 308 win, 308 norma mag etc. what you are asking is what cartridge or chambering.
    And yes I know , most are to lazy to use the right terminology so Im fighting a loosing battle with this but Im no quitter.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Tikka 308 (ok sneeze 308win) with a decent scope (Bushnell vortex or leupold.... Expect to pay at 1/2 he price of the rifle) call it job done and go shoot something.

Then thread it for a suppressor and sell it for a profit on trade me.....
    sneeze, veitnamcam and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Tikka 308 (ok sneeze 308win) :
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Crispo View Post
    Hey mate, I recently just bought my first rifle too and ended up going for a howa 1500, stainless barrel and a houge stock.
    I didnt really like the scope on it so upgraded that to a leupold and some warn rings.
    Oh and as Crispo found out. The scopes that come with most package deals are basically freebees and not worth your time. (now scope choice is a whole extra debate on its own) some won't hold the zero wonder around on you like the "magnum" scope that came on my Tikka. Meet a guy in the South Island who flew down from Auckland with his tikka and had the same magnum scope and the zero had moved 6 Moa from the flight....not what you want for a trip anywhere. $300-500 will get a decent entry level no thrills scope thats clear enough will hold zero and last you until you might want something a bit nicer or have better features.

Burris, Bushnell, Vortex, Leupold and Nikon all do decent hunting rifle scopes.
    hthomas likes this.

The scope is equally important as the rifle. You can get good results with a very average rifle if your scope is sound.
    Plan on paying half to the same as for your rifle. The package ones with howa are likely not ideal but they come as a package.
    A scope that adjusts where you expect it and holds zero will save you a lot of money in ammo and worry and lost animals.
    As a rough guide, the entry level standard is the Leupold VX-1 series but redfield, bushnell and vortex seem to be OK too.
    Better quality scopes include zeiss & swarovski which have different quality grades and kahles which are all top notch.
    Go for 2-7x or 3-9x40 and a plain reticle like a duplex. If you've got the money get a Leupold VX-3 and it will likely last you forever and be really good.
    Around Rotorua, you won't need capability to dial. Capped turets are OK. If you're over 50 then parallax adjustment can help focusing up closer than 50m but you will need to go to at least 12x and the scope will cost twice as much (not recommended in a first scope).
    It's also worth paying more for good mounts. Leupold are good and Warne probably too. Go for steel if you can; I wouldn't "upgrade" to aluminium because the threads can strip.
    Give some thought to getting a .22LR as well, again, with a good scoepe. A second hand Norinco JW15 or Toz with 2-7 Hawke, Leapers, bushnell, redfield or leupold would be my recommendation. If you can get in regular practice, it will much increase the effectiveness of your deer gun.

Also, remember there are heaps of reasonably good second hand rifles out there that people cant get what they are really worth. Fair price is 2/3 what it is new but some will be happy to see it to a good home for less.

As said, the forum loves these threads - there are hundreds of experts like me here.
    Last edited by Bagheera; 05-05-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Bus driver
    Invite yourself to the local gun club.....try and gets a few members advice,...see if they will let you fire a few rounds down range.."you’ll at least get an idea of what you might be looking for.....just a thought
    308 likes this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Well there's some good advise in the above posts.
    Id love to tell you to go out and buy and old BSA CF2 our a Majestic. But if you have no idea of rifle maintenance then this might be a backward step.
    If I was you I would find and action that you like...ie is the safety catch comfortable for you. Dose the bolt suite you. Then again trigger is every thing, I know you can upgrade them but if you can find one that you can adjust this is also a bonus.

Then look at stock and fit recoil pad.

Next on your budget is the scope.....some say you should paid what you paid for your rifle on the scope if not more. ( agree up to a point)

But if most of your hunting is bush which is likely where you are then a good old Bushnell will do ya. Sightron is also another good brand that is nice on the wallet and good on the eyes.

Good luck have fun and if you do get a moderator remember to remove it and store it separately as it will kill your purchase faster than a fibbing Cahill.

ps Welcome
    viper likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

.308 chopped to 18/20" with a DPT. Cheap ammo and lots to choose from. Belmont is very good ammo for the price. A Howa is a good budget rifle.

If you want a inexpensive accurate rifle consider a savage. They will genraly shoot all factory ammo inside 3/4 inch and don't need wrapping in cotten wool like the Euro trash
    Savage1, gadgetman and blake like this.

So I went our for a window shop this morning. After going through each brand and calibre I've come to a fork in the road. My father always told me buy quality so you never need to buy another. Howa 1500 in 7mm08 will need to upgrade scope etc comes well in under my budget, or a steyr in 7mm08 guy at the shop say buy the steyr spend 700 on a scope and ill ill never need another. Shor distance long distance and every thing in between. What's everyone's thoughts advantages/disadvantages of the two. Really appreciate everyone's advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrm234 View Post
    So I went our for a window shop this morning. After going through each brand and calibre I've come to a fork in the road. My father always told me buy quality so you never need to buy another. Howa 1500 in 7mm08 will need to upgrade scope etc comes well in under my budget, or a steyr in 7mm08 guy at the shop say buy the steyr spend 700 on a scope and ill ill never need another. Shor distance long distance and every thing in between. What's everyone's thoughts advantages/disadvantages of the two. Really appreciate everyone's advice here.
    Take the salesmans advice with a large grain of salt....
    Do your research, as you are here, google stuff as well as listening to others advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jrm234 View Post
    Howa's are great but just get the rifle. The package deal mounts, rings and scopes are not very good. As @ROKTOY says pretty much don't listen to the salesman, especially if he's trying to upsell you.

First off Steyr are really nice rifles BUT in terms of a first rifle, don't think so! If your keen on the bush or hill hunting do you really want something that is pretty to drag through streams,drop down gullies, scratch and dig? Most rifles are much of a similar manufacturing quality these day's and of similar accuracy, do you want to pay more for a NAME or use that money where it really counts, the OPTIC's?