Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Great experience from Guncity

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    So would I probably.
    But i don't see it as wingeing on here. I see it as valuable information as to where i will or will not spend my hard earned pennys.
    Yep fair call VC my only problem is it makes out all shop owners as bad operators

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    So would I probably.
    But i don't see it as wingeing on here. I see it as valuable information as to where i will or will not spend my hard earned pennys.
    Yep, I have one particular store here (where I was well known and had previously spent a small fortune over the years) ask me for payment of $90 in advance for a tin of powder which was special order, while I was somewhat pissed off I paid up.

Only to find later I could have got the same tin of powder (which was in stock) for $50. Should have shopped around.

End result is I have now not spent a cent in the store since, no fishing gear or shooting stuff, nothing. Also suggest my mates / club members buy from my new favorite store. A store where my word is good enough to get something ordered.

Without getting into how much I and my shooting buddies actually spent (in case our wives find this site) its a lot. Its a lot more than a lot. All because I perceived I had got poor service.
    Gapped axe likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Yep fair call VC my only problem is it makes out all shop owners as bad operators

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2
    I disagree, I think it means you find out who give good or bad service in some cases with out actually having to part with your own hard earned sheckles.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    When this forum first started up there was a rule about not slagging off at gunsmiths on the message boards...
    No there isn't and wasn't. if (and when) a gunsmith fucks something up, tell the world, it'll be better for everyone.

I feel the same should be said for retail establishments...what if Gun City should ever want to advertise or sponsor on this forum?.
    we probably don't care
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    No there isn't and wasn't. if (and when) a gunsmith fucks something up, tell the world, it'll be better for everyone.

we probably don't care
    My mistake, it was only a proposal put forward by Makros...memory fade on my part.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I often go into Gun City mainly because it's open when I want to shop. I would have to say it is really hit and miss with staff here in Christchurch.
    For example last Friday I went in there to buy a replacement .22 and had a great guy who came over as soon I started looking at the rack. But there is this other middle-aged guy there who I've dealt with twice now, the first time I wanted a Norinco M14, he was more interested in talking to his mate about AR15s so I bought one online. The other time I was in the market for a .308 sporter, He was arrogant and didn't listen to me about what I wanted, When to shooters supplies the next morning and bought what I wanted.

Everyone in Christchurch should go to shooter supplies and give geoff some shit! Haha but seriously they will beat any price you give them and it's always nice helping the little guy

The only guy I will deal with at Gun City often has a que believe it or not. I just go and ask him to come grab me when he's free. I don't mind even browsing for half an hour - it's worth it.

One day there were only a few people in the store and 3 of us were waiting for him while the other half a dozen staff just stood around. Wonder what they think about it all. I'd like to think that they'd try and emulate his service and the deals he gives so as to get their own loyal customers, but somehow I think I'm being too generous!!

What's the deal anyway - are they on salary + commission, anyone know?

I make a point of telling shop managers about their staff when I have received great or crap service.
    Having owned a business myself in the past I feel the manager/owner would like to know whether the customers think he has great staff or shit ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    What's the deal anyway - are they on salary + commission, anyone know?
    Yes most certainly

I personally have sold over $10,000 worth of Stereo to a guy whole walked in with jandals, scruffy shirt and stinking of weed.

Turns out he was one of the accountants working on the LOTR series, had a day off, and wanted a new stereo.

Spent about an hour with the guy, he picked up the new rig an hour later in the new Range Rover.

I think one issue is - just because you know everything about firearms, doesn't mean you know a thing about sales. I have experienced this in most of the gun stores in Auckland at some point. Actually, Reloaders probably being the exception. Though I am really yet to have anyone properly engage with me.

Which I find strange. If I worked in a store and had someone coming in, saying they were getting into shooting and looking at middle to high end equipment, I would probably take the time to find out what they were up to, and try to convert them from a sale, to a customer. I can understand when you are busy, you go into order taking mode. But that's normally not the case.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloke View Post
    I think one issue is - just because you know everything about firearms, doesn't mean you know a thing about sales.
    This actually goes for just about any "hobby" type store. They are often staffed by young enthusiasts, who SUCK at sales and customer service. Try going into a surf shop and getting more than a syllable out of most of the reets working there!

Quote Originally Posted by thelivo View Post
    This actually goes for just about any "hobby" type store. They are often staffed by young enthusiasts, who SUCK at sales and customer service. Try going into a surf shop and getting more than a syllable out of most of the reets working there!
    Yes. Same in nearly every industry.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thelivo View Post
    reets haha
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I learnt my lesson 16 years ago when I first started selling vehicles. I worked for a high end euro dealership in newmarket Auckland. Long story short a guy pulls up out the front on an old triumph. Ripped jeans , Battered leather jacket and proceeds to pull out his park drive and roll a smoke. All the while with a toothless moronic grin. The other salesmen didnt want to know about it. I wandered out and introduced myself. He said "Im $%$ %^%%$% from matakana and ive come to buy those two cadillacs youve got advertised. Out came the chequebook - no demo required $140 K lighter he was on his way.Very wealthy earthmoving contractor. True story and have seen many variants over the years.
    Never judge a book by its cover. Fatal in retail. Gun city are still cocks however.
    Bryan and kruza like this.