Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Gun for first time deer hunting/wallaby hunting

+1 for the 243 as a first centrefire. PM me if you want to try one out.
    6mm ackley, Solo and mehtat like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    A 243 would be a great 1st centre fire @mehtat . Maybe a Howa 1500 might pop up at the right price, good luck with the hunting lass.
    I saw a few Howa 1500 pop up on sale at gun city,
    But speaking of brands what ones would be the ones to look out for? e.g which are better than others. I have just been skimming over some Howa, Ruger, savage and Sako etc but not sure which are known to be better quality (probably will aim for mid range to keep my wallet happy) but would like to know the 'best' brands to keep an eye out for.

"O what a day, what a lovely day"

I like the 243 like many others as it's versatile and is capable of taking small game at long range and larger game at moderate ranges with the appropriate projectiles.
    As Gibo mentioned the 260 Rem would be another excellent choice, it is very popular in Long Range shooting circles, shoots a heavier bullet with a high BC and is very effective on our game species over here. Recoil is light and it is easy to load for. A nice Rem Mod 7 in 260 would be just the ticket. ( You could also get a 308 or 243 that's shot out and get it re barreled to 260)

Quote Originally Posted by mehtat View Post
    But speaking of brands what ones would be the ones to look out for? e.g which are better than others. I have just been skimming over some Howa, Ruger, savage and Sako etc but not sure which are known to be better quality (probably will aim for mid range to keep my wallet happy) but would like to know the 'best' brands to keep an eye out for.
    I think this is good for the $$$ https://trademe.co.nz/1288371974

I really rate the howas, I dont like plastic pieces rifles.

People bag the Nikko scopes but I think theyre shootable and if you havent used a higher end scope you wont know what your missing and will probally get a good deal on a second hand one on here. I just use them on my .22lr and shoot plenty bunnies.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

2506 or 243 or 260. The 260 and 2506 will give you more options and range down the track if you want to target bigger beasties and longer ranges. But any of the 3 will do very nicely.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    If you are doing the rounds at the gun shops, shoulder a few and see what you like. Don't let them talk you into something you are not sure about. As already mentioned, Gunworks just outside of Chch would be well worth a visit, Amanda and the crew would see you right.
    gadgetman, JasonW and mehtat like this.

northdude
    yep nikko stirling scopes arent to bad ive got them on most of my rifles and havnt had any problems with them had a look through way more expensive scopes and to my eyes i couldnt really tell enough difference to warrant the extra expense when my nikko does exactly the same thing

243, 7mm08 or 308. Most of the modern rifles are pretty capable really, but I would personally shy away from the cheaper Remingtons (770 783) and the savage axis. I personally feel the best value proposition is a step above entry level.
    Nothing wrong with second hand too. Some good bargains to be had on here from time to time
    mikee and mehtat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    If you are doing the rounds at the gun shops, shoulder a few and see what you like. Don't let them talk you into something you are not sure about. As already mentioned, Gunworks just outside of Chch would be well worth a visit, Amanda and the crew would see you right.
    As this fella said. Try a heap out and find which naturally fits you best. There will be one that you pick up that just feels right, ... and you won't want to hand it back.
    mikee and mehtat like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Awesome thanks.

Not sure if this is still available, but might be the go for you?
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...63/index2.html

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Your joking right? We have enough newbie idiots at our range shooting them.

Mehtat, Budget/Fit/calibre
    decide on your budget, factor in the scope/suppressor too. Then go to somewhere that has a good selection of rifles ( gun city) & try shouldering a few in your price range to see what fits you nicely
    What he said....
    Also look at the cost of feeding it , don't wanna be paying huge for ammo if you don't have to.
    And don't listen when the gunshot guy says "I have a 270 or a 300win magnum that would be perfect , everyone buying them"

Hello

So I currently only own a .22LR and this has been a great gun for knocking over hares, magpies (and a few wallabies) and a great starting gun.....butttt now i am really keen to get out into some more DOC land and try for more wallabies and larger critters, so am needing a bigger rifle, but I have no clue where to even start with what I should be looking for.

Any help would be much appricated also please keep it a bit in layman's terms as I very fresh to this and still learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    243s are for girls and pretty boys mate, get a 260 or a 308
    Righto so I just got my foot out of my mouth and now can apologise for my comment here. After reading your rabbit fur thread it turns out you are well an truly qualified to get a 243 and I think that's a great idea 260 is cooler though
    gadgetman, GMH72, JasonW and 2 others like this.

For your purposes something like, 243,25-06,260 or 6.5x55 would suit you perfectly.

As for rifles, most shoot around the same for accuracy so go and pick a few up and see which one feels the best.keep an eye out for the HOWAs as they come up cheap($600) or the zastava rifles.

Just remember if you suppress it the recoil between the cartridges becomes much of a muchness for the calibres in question.

Good luck !