Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Here we go folks

Quote Originally Posted by NZVarminter View Post
    My vote goes to timattalon for the best reply so far.

However we should not be asking for this bill to be amended. It must be withdrawn completely. There is nothing wrong with the current legislation. If he wants to make a positive change, then change the sentencing!
    I do wonder if Politicians think it's easier to just make a new law rather than convince gutless Judges to actually hand out decent sentences.
    That's the only reason I can think for the Bill, surely the MP in question is aware of the current laws (you'd bloody well hope so).

I foresee things only getting worse (weak sentences) with Andrew Little saying he wants less people in prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I do wonder if Politicians think it's easier to just make a new law rather than convince gutless Judges to actually hand out decent sentences.
    That's the only reason I can think for the Bill, surely the MP in question is aware of the current laws (you'd bloody well hope so).

I foresee things only getting worse (weak sentences) with Andrew Little saying he wants less people in prisons.
    There used to be room in Australia for that type of person but now they are refunding them back to us....even if they did not come from here to start with

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    Guys, just be aware that sending an email is very well n all, you will receive an automated response.

But sending a hand written letter means that by law MP's have to personally reply as i understand it. So a ton of handwritten letters will really make him sit up and take notice.
    Well.... Better touch up my handwriting ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post

I doubt it. That Iranian woman knows bugger all about firearms laws but thinks that pistols are unregulated.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    Guys, just be aware that sending an email is very well n all, you will receive an automated response.

But sending a hand written letter means that by law MP's have to personally reply as i understand it. So a ton of handwritten letters will really make him sit up and take notice.
    awesome, do they have to reply with a hand written letter also?
    Use enough gun

I may be dumb, and apologise for the politics, but why are National working on this and not our current government?
    veitnamcam and ebf like this.

Any member of parliament can propose new legislation, it goes in a draw (as a Private members bill) to see if it goes before Parliament. If it gets drawn then Parliament votes on it. Unless you are in the government it is unlikely to get passed unless you can convince enough government members to support it (which is unlikely).
    Government has the right to introduce new legislation when they want, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Any member of parliament can propose new legislation, it goes in a draw (as a Private members bill) to see if it goes before Parliament. If it gets drawn then Parliament votes on it. Unless you are in the government it is unlikely to get passed unless you can convince enough government members to support it (which is unlikely).
    Government has the right to introduce new legislation when they want, pretty much.
    Sounds like the waste of time it reads like

It's called Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I may be dumb, and apologise for the politics, but why are National working on this and not our current government?
    Because our current government is busy working out how much damage winny can do and how to fix it while the boss is at home with bubs.....

Quote Originally Posted by NZVarminter View Post
    My vote goes to timattalon for the best reply so far.

However we should not be asking for this bill to be amended. It must be withdrawn completely. There is nothing wrong with the current legislation. If he wants to make a positive change, then change the sentencing!
    I see this bandied about a bunch, but statistically harsher sentencing has a pretty negligible effect on crime rate. The biggest deterrent comes in an uptake of certainty of sentencing. Ie how likely is it that I will get caught. In short if we want to reduce the crime, we need police and investigation resource out there catching more crims. That or some sort of wholesale seeping social and economic change, but I think the police resource is.probably the easier answer.

I don't really get what this bill is meant to achieve, and don't see it going anywhere
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Sounds like the waste of time it reads like
    One of the earlier posts mentioned it was getting ready 2020 when they expect to be back. Never a waste of time to let them know we are on their heels.
    Gibo likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I see this bandied about a bunch, but statistically harsher sentencing has a pretty negligible effect on crime rate. The biggest deterrent comes in an uptake of certainty of sentencing. Ie how likely is it that I will get caught. In short if we want to reduce the crime, we need police and investigation resource out there catching more crims. That or some sort of wholesale seeping social and economic change, but I think the police resource is.probably the easier answer.

I don't really get what this bill is meant to achieve, and don't see it going anywhere
    Statistically if someone has to actually SERVE 30+ years for serious violent crime they are extremely unlikely to commit another violent crime against the mostly law abiding populace during that 30 year period.
    stingray, Gibo, timattalon and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

police komodo dragons, trained to eat first ask questions later.
    I know i am repeating myself here, but it is just such a good idea.

Name:  komodo.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  194.9 KB
    Martin358 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Statistically if someone has to actually SERVE 30+ years for serious violent crime they are extremely unlikely to commit another violent crime against the mostly law abiding populace during that 30 year period.
    But we aren't talking about serious violent crime. We are talking about weapons possession laws. Like it or not evidence shows increasing sentences won't make a meaningful difference to crime rates, increasing the likelihood of getting caught will.

If we are going to put forward alternative suggestions as a community we might as well suggest somthing that actually works.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    If we are going to put forward alternative suggestions as a community we might as well suggest somthing that actually works.
    How about death? Death works! It may not stop some prick doing a crime but it sure as shit stops them doing it again.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms