Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Howa .308 problems

Howa .308 problems

I mate gave me his Howa 1500 chambered in .308 to zero in at the range, its the stainless with green molded stock with a leupold sitting on top with no suppressor.

He gave me some federal ammo to run through the rifle but for what ever reason it wouldn't group better than hand size at 100 mtrs.

Before anyone suggests, the rifle was stripped yesterday with all action screws tightened including the rings bases etc so I know their all secure.

I'd run some reloads through the rifle however i don't have any 308 dies or projectiles at hand and he would be lucky to run a packet of ammo through it a year so there's no point in him reloading or me reloading for him.

For you Howa owners who may have been in the same situation what remedied your rifle and what factory ammo do you use?

only got a few other suggestions....
    faulty scope? not likely being a leupold but try a diffrent scope to rule it out
    bedding it may help ?
    damaged crown
    or try different ammo ? some rifles are finnicky

Mine hated Winchester deer season the first ammo I tried it out with. Goes almost clover three shot groups with fiocchi perfecta and remington core lokt both 150 grainers, loves 168gr reloads at mag length if you go that way

Were you shooting of a bipod?

Clean the barrel back to bare metal
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

My howa was very very accurate and we chased out tales for weeks on a brand new 85 gin light in 7rm only to find out about 200 rounds later the vx6 was faulty

Change the scope to something known to be correct. Then put three rounds of 150 grain BT's (or Interlocks) in front of 47 grains of 2208 through it. I know you're not going to reload, but at least then you will know if the rifle shoots at all.
    superdiver likes this.

Assuming its a new rifle and not cut down.
    1 check scope
    2 You havent described what rest you used.
    A , dont use bipod initially
    B, If resting forend on bag or pack then check that forend down pressure is not causing bbl to come in contact with stock.
    I have a 308 Howa and it shoots sub moa out to well over 500 yards with 155 and 178grain bullets.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

With any used rifle that won't shoot its always worth cleaning it for copper, and in a separate operation carbon. Usually you can see copper and the first patch with copper cleaner will tell you a lot. Carbon can't be seen (without a good borescope) but a clean with CLR is cheap and effective (and very satisfying for most barrels, the amount of crap it brings out is usually amazing).

Given nothing's obviously loose, I'd scrub the hell out of it before attempting any more testing. Also rule out it hasn't got a ding in the crown.

I like John's suggestion of the 150 BT load but I'd suggest 46grs rather than straight to 47 which is usually "up there".

Hmmm unusual, howa rifles usually go good. And shoot federal well too in my experience. Plenty of advice above..
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

havent had issues with my .270...BUT did do the quick flick with sharp pocket knife as per Flyblown...... cut the tiny bit of rubber away from very end of forend so no way in hell can it connect.
    you will be able to strip it and poke back together as factory set up means should be no issues with bedding going back correctly.
    keep us posted.....howas shoot well so Im intrigued.
    Dama dama likes this.

As above I'd start with a good clean, I like bore tech products and use the eliminator. Also checking the crown is a good idea.

Once you've given the bore a good scrub have a look down it and see if you can see any pitting or other marks/damage.

I'd check the bedding/free-floating barrel just as well, if you're shooting of a rest or bipod try and check it with the rifle set-up to shoot. Also if you can I'd change the base/ring/scope for known good ones. I've seen it before where there were issues even when all screws were tight.

If that's not working try some different ammo and pray it goes good.

The gun was well cleaned included the barrel prior to the shoot.

No issues with the crown

I have a mate up north who reloads for his Howa with outstanding results with heavier projectiles but this gun will be lucky to get 20 rounds a year through it with its owner.

I’ll get some fiocchi ammo and test some more 👍
    Micky Duck likes this.

Im pretty sure Ive heard Howa reccomend Hornady Whitetail, which I have always found to shoot very well in them.
    If it is brand new, dont run reloads as it voids the warrenty and they will bail on the moa guarantee.
    Both my Howas shoot cloverleaf so I would keep the faith for now!