Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: I need a new rifle

res
    To answer a few in one post

1-6 scope, because I have one on my 300blk ar15 and love it to bits so if I buy one of the newer ones and it does not stay on the new bush rifle it would become a upgrade for one of my other rifles. I could not give a toss about resale value.
    for the rifle,I like them short as I often get to places on mtb so short wins both on my back and on handle bar clamps.
    Once again I don't care about resale value-would rather have what I want.

The forbs is just a remington copy but it's cheeper than building such a rifle up yourself from a Remington. I need to have a catch up with herbmister anyway so I'll pick his brain on it as well as doc Watson. I'm still inclined to go with a second hand as new Montana just for the sake of the budget-would rather sink the toy fund into collector rifles right now.

As to the smart call about insurance, my insurance won't cover it due to a oversite in how I sorted my cover and the less said online about his insurance the better.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to use a odi can on this and other rifles.
    Using Tapatalk

If you consider re-sale value dont even bother buying it cause you cant want it that much if you havent got it and are thinking of selling.
    Kiwi Greg, Spook, CZ Lux and 2 others like this.

Shut up and Shoot
    Yes its light but they actually have a reasonably decent barrel diameter and they do come standard with a 21 inch barrel. The weight savings are all in the stock and action. Hey it's all about what you want. The Forbes is most definitely not a Remington clone, the action is much smaller and lighter and no parts interchange. Forbes stopped lightening other peoples actions and designed his own so he could leave weight in the barrel where is needs to be, the stocks are pretty light as well.

If you want to go short the bigger the bore the better! My .338Fed is 14.5" 45gn of 2206H and pushes a 200gn BT at 2500. I really really love it. Kills emphatically. Shit just dies of fright Couldnt recommend the caliber enough. Mines a factory T3 but with your budget you can make it out of anything you like.

Mines got a neat little weaver baby slam 1.5-5x30 on it which is just perfect. On 1.5 power you can see the can in you sight picture just like the old school shoot em up games like Doom.

Its a caliber I will always have in my safe.
    Tommy likes this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbmiester View Post
    The Forbes is most definitely not a Remington clone
    I stand pleasantly corrected
    Using Tapatalk

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    If you want to go short the bigger the bore the better! My .338Fed is 14.5" 45gn of 2206H and pushes a 200gn BT at 2500. I really really love it. Kills emphatically. Shit just dies of fright Couldnt recommend the caliber enough. Mines a factory T3 but with your budget you can make it out of anything you like.

Mines got a neat little weaver baby slam 1.5-5x30 on it which is just perfect. On 1.5 power you can see the can in you sight picture just like the old school shoot em up games like Doom.

Its a caliber I will always have in my safe.
    How is factory ammo availability? While I would try to use home loads my situation dictates that easy factory ammo is important
    Using Tapatalk

Shut up and Shoot
    338 is available but not every store will have it. A question re barrel length one I ask all short barreled rifle owners. How short does it have to be? This an entirely different question to how short do you want it to be? With the craze to have short rifles I always ask is it something needed or just something wanted?
    Last edited by Herbmiester; 10-11-2014 at 07:43 PM.

res
    Well my bike handlebars are 800 wide so in a ideal world I would like the finished rifle including can to be under that, the blr wasn't so I sometimes had to take the can off on some tracks.
    Using Tapatalk

Shut up and Shoot
    Sounds like you need a folding/collapsible stock. It will give you more options with barrel length.
    blaserR8 likes this.

res
    Yea, but then overall length folded comes into play while folded unless it's e cat(and even that's debatable as you know) and one of the points of having it in the handlebar clamps if fast action-the bike lets you sneak up on deer very well. The blr was good for this as I could have a round in the chamber and just pull the hammer back-working a bolt is going to be slower.
    As I said, less than 800 in a ideal work but I don't see that happening realistically but as close to that as posable-the blr was 970 with the gunworks can so going to a odl can already saves about 50 or so
    Using Tapatalk

If you want really short you could go break open single shot. Probably wont eat much of your budget though.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    .........I'll probably go down that road in 308 with a odi can and a z6i 1-6 scope.
    I think for about a third of the price a Leupold VX-6 1-6, with or without the illuminated reticle, is a lot better value than a Z6i. Not too much difference optically either.

res
    Hmmm

I did think about single shot, one of the older-lighter tc's would be nice and would probably be faster to get ready from safe than a bolt gun,I do like extra rounds right there tho.

To be honest I did not think of the vx6, I have a first gen z6i on another rifle and like it so much I just jumped strait to it.
    If Leopold do anything like the circle dot reticule that the z6 can have I could be interested,ESP as after a long talk with Herbmister spending the extra on a forbs could be worth it. He is s very sceptical and low key guy to those who don't know him and to say he was singing the praises of the forbs over the Montana would be a understatement.

I'm glad I'm not in a rush, and I thank everybody for there input and hope it continues
    Using Tapatalk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    To be honest I did not think of the vx6, I have a first gen z6i on another rifle and like it so much I just jumped strait to it.
    If Leopold do anything like the circle dot reticule that the z6 can have I could be interested...........
    Leupold 112319, 1-6x24mm, VX-6 Riflescope, Custom Dial System (CDS), Illuminated FireDot Circle Reticle, Matte Finish

LEUPOLD 1-6x24 VX-6 Multigun Illuminated Firedot SPR Reticle 30mm Scope 91415

res
    Thanks 10-Ring, that second one looks very interesting. Going to spend some time finding and reading reviews ESP if I can find some that compare the glass to the z5/z6 series as I have a couple of the z's and find that I can see everything so clearly compared to other scopes I have owned-not that I have owned a Leopold over a vx3 so probably not comparing apples with apples
    Using Tapatalk