Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Importing Magazines from Brownells

all magpul products can not be exported? Why is this?

There is no restriction on owning a magazine in NZ. A schoolkid can buy one in any size. It will normally require an Import Permit unless you make them believe it's for a bolt action rifle. The Import Permit is free if you decide to bother with one but it will also require an Export Permit to leave the US. This will cost around $400 or more and take two to eight weeks. Finally you will pay GST on the total when it gets here and will probably be asked to produce the original Import Permit. The alternative is to ask an American to post you some "Safety cartridge clips" via standard airmail which is less prone to interferance by officials. The Export Permit is their problem and if neccessary you could apply for an Import Permit if asked for one. To legally fit a big mag to your semi-auto your will need to first register the gun with the police as an MSSA. Until then it's best to keep them apart. You can buy big mags before getting your E-cat, just don't fit them to your gun, and remember to register the weapon first too.

That last post contains some spectacularly bad advice

Quote Originally Posted by Tbirdsteve View Post
    There is no restriction on owning a magazine in NZ. A schoolkid can buy one in any size. It will normally require an Import Permit unless you make them believe it's for a bolt action rifle. The Import Permit is free if you decide to bother with one but it will also require an Export Permit to leave the US. This will cost around $400 or more and take two to eight weeks. Finally you will pay GST on the total when it gets here and will probably be asked to produce the original Import Permit. The alternative is to ask an American to post you some "Safety cartridge clips" via standard airmail which is less prone to interferance by officials. The Export Permit is their problem and if neccessary you could apply for an Import Permit if asked for one. To legally fit a big mag to your semi-auto your will need to first register the gun with the police as an MSSA. Until then it's best to keep them apart. You can buy big mags before getting your E-cat, just don't fit them to your gun, and remember to register the weapon first too.
    OK, I'll bite as it seems you are fishing for one

Not quite correct there old chap.

For starters the police take a very dim view if your have a hi cap AND the Semi Auto it fits in the same residence (assuming the semi is not on an E endorsement). the courts have already set a president for this.

If you American friend gets caught he will most likely be "Bubba's bitch" as they take a dim view of this. You might be no longer his friend

And you will need a NZ permit import permit no matter what.

You will find most AO's will not issue retrospective permits which means customs head down the "importing prohibited goods" road very quickly
    and finally the fees are less than 400 bucks depending on what you want and where you are shopping. For example Brownells charge a % of the order cost.

Poor advice in this area means someones gonna end up in the excrement.

Please if you want to buy gun stuff over seas it aint that hard if you know and follow the rules
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Willus View Post
    all magpul products can not be exported? Why is this?
    I would also like to know. I've been googling the internet and nothing I can find. Bit of a bugger as I had 2 pmags sitting in my cart at Brownells for a couple of weeks and now it pops up saying they are no longer available for international shipping..

Magpul policy it seems. Protecting international dealer networks?

No restriction on this one Wish I had my E so I could give it a try

MAGLEVEL PMAG MAGGRIP 3 PACK : PMAG MAGGRIP 3 PACKS | Brownells

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Magpul policy it seems. Protecting international dealer networks?

I think you are totally correct, just checked on Brownells and even the Magpul Iphone cases and DVD's are no longer able to be shipped internationally.

No US company will export magazines of any sort without a state department export permit, they don't want to take the risk of the rules changing and getting caught out, the penalties are real heavy they can be shut down and fined into bankruptcy, the land of the free it is not, you need to find some one or company that will do the paper work for a reasonable fee and buy quite a lot so you can sell the extras
    to cover the costs, the other way is to find some one that will export them from Europe I have heard that there are some. Robert.

Nope, Brownells will export if under 30rds and if under $100 worth

Yes, this
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

From the DDTC:
    There has been no final decision, but if the policy is approved, magazines with a capacity of more than 30 rounds will be exportable only to government agencies, police and military. Magazines holding up to 30 rounds will still be exportable to civilian users.

So, currently there is no capacity limit for export, and even if they do approve the policy we can still get 30 rounders.

True but not Magpul pmags anymore. You could in April but looks like MAGPUL have stopped Brownells from selling there products international. You can even get a MAGPUL iphone cover/

Rainier Arms will export Magpul.

Sent from my XT535

Mehpul