Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Which lever / semi / pump rifle, and why?

I wouldn’t go for a semi for bush shooting infact personally for me I don’t like semis for hunting full stop
    I know some do and that’s fine this is only my opinion
    I don’t like the idea of hunting with a loaded rifle safety Catch or not
    Id way rather hunter empty but semi ready ie ammo in the mag bolt closed on an empty chamber

Personally id go for the marlin 45-70 from your list it won’t worry about shooting through a little brush or something where lighter high velocity rifle rounds will be deflected if you’re not careful
    Ontop of that you can hunt closed bolt empty chamber full mag if you spook something and decide to take a running shot working the lever to chamber a round is a spilt 2nd job if you see something pull the hammer back 1st so id doesn’t click then slowly work the lever to chamber a round

45 calibre would be my pick,. Either 45/70, 450 Marlin or similar. I have used a 30/06 lever but the go-to rifle that I grab is a short carbine 303 running handloads (Modern action) with a 215 Woodleigh round nose (2075fps). Everything I have hit has dropped where it stands. Not sure I would push the load past 200m though.

As for 7mmRemMag, I would look more to 300 Win Mag (bigger hole) or there was a CZ in 375 H&H magnum on trade me (if you can afford $7 per round.....) Listing #: 1560184552

45/70 will be in the same boat as the 303 above in that over 200 yds it will start to become less effective than a 308 or 30/06 or similar. The lever (BLR) wee bit of noise and is not as quiet as a bolt if up close and a blt can be cycled quicker if lying prone, but the lever comes into its own when you have the room to "swing it"....

Ohhhh, just had another thought reading the post again.
    Ruger are doing the 450 bushmaster round and rifle. Bolt action, built in muzzle brake, built in picainny rail for scope mounting, I think H&F got them for $1095.
    I don't know anything about the calibre but getting up there in size and I know the performance is similar to the 45-70 but is more compact.
    csmiffy likes this.

Look at the Ruger 450 bushmaster . New modern rifle, bolt action, nice tang safety, built in muzzle brake and scope rail , new at H&F $1099.
    Apparently same or similar performance to the 45-70 but more compact.
    Looks on paper like it would be an awesome bush to low mid range combo.
    Plenty of reviews and you tube clips.
    Sounds like a definite contender for you.

sorry for double post, internet is being a fucking prick at the moment.

Ejected
    Can go subsonic with the 450 also.
    Make cool little light guns.

45/70 with ghost ring or aperture sights would be ok to 200 yds or so has the ability to go through foliage and twigs without noticing them and is pretty emphatic when it connects. Cast hollow points or flat nosed bullets seem to be as effective as jacketed in the right place. But a hp 45/70 does kick quite a bit.
    The old 3030 is actually quite good with a flat nose 170 like the sierria power jacket.

https://youtu.be/P5dve7vAY9I This video shows the advantages of a large slug in the sticks
    Obviously you wouldn’t want to shoot though quite as much as he did if you were shooting a deer for real

on the subject of L/A guns, does anyone have a good reload for 44mag subsonic ?
    Tommy likes this.

After rereading the original post, @Flyblown , I take it that you already have a 308? RTather than buy a new rifle, how about trying a heavier round nose bullet in the 308? Something like this https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...nterlock-rn#!/ or loaded https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...ternational#!/

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    on the subject of L/A guns, does anyone have a good reload for 44mag subsonic ?
    Trail boss powder not sure how much
    But plenty of data online

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    After rereading the original post, @Flyblown , I take it that you already have a 308? RTather than buy a new rifle, how about trying a heavier round nose bullet in the 308? Something like this https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...nterlock-rn#!/ or loaded https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...ternational#!/
    far too sensible...where's the fun in that?

It’s pretty hard to beat the 92 for weight, ergonomics of carry, follow up shots and power if you go for the Rossi in .454 casull. They are so light in hand, especially the 16/20” carbines, and a joy to carry and shoulder.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Trail boss powder not sure how much
    But plenty of data online
    Full case of trail boss, and back it off until it isn't breaking the sound barrier. Trail boss is a bit different in that you want to start with a full case and work the load back, if you start with too little powder you may get a bullet stuck half way up the barrel.
    More meplat, more better.

Yeah correct great powder as it full’s the case while still keeping pressure and speed low as its for cowboy shooting
    Other options for subsonic loads require fillers as there’s such a small amount of powder that you have to full the case with a filler to keep the powder down against the primer

My suggestion is to use soft lead cast bullets for subsonic ammunition they kill better than jacketed bullets at slow speeds
    For subsonic ammo you want the bullet to be lower than 1080fps the advantage of that is you can go for a heavy bullet as you’re not worried about pushing it fast as you’re stuck below 1080fps anyway a 300gn cast would give you alot more energy than a 240gn at the same speed