Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Which lever / semi / pump rifle, and why?

My pick so far would be southernman with the 9.3x74 double. probably not ideal length and a bit up market for a bush gun but no one else would have one.
    Power wise would that be up around 375 levels?
    Z
    john m and xtightg like this.

Banned
    Can I come hunting on your block flyblown to see if my 308 stumpy will work on these beasts?

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    Baikal sxs in 45/70
    I had one in 30/06 and wished I had got the 45/70 instead. Like all doubles, getting the barrels pointing in near the same direction can be a challenge, but for sheer mack it factor the double has it.....Sauer make one too I think. Saw it at the Tahr show a few years back in 450nitro express....

um I don't think there is any elephant or cape buffalo where the poster is hunting.
    You can never have too much knock down....Mind you the price of the ammo might hurt more than the recoil..... https://www.guncity.com/450-hornady-...-rounds-230991 $11 per shot....

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Tikka battue 9.3x62

at that price I think you would be trying to line up at least 3 deer for each bullet.
    And flatten the hill behind to make the walk out easier.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

um I don't think there is any elephant or cape buffalo where the poster is hunting.
    not any more lol-I have a 416 Remington that ive shot one deer with years ago and that's what I tell people when they say that. You can certainly see why the old school boys rated bullet diameter. Dropped like a stone, no kicking and it wasn't like it smashed both shoulders and the spine at the same time either-it definitely didn't use up all its energy in there

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    not any more lol-I have a 416 Remington that ive shot one deer with years ago and that's what I tell people when they say that. You can certainly see why the old school boys rated bullet diameter. Dropped like a stone, no kicking and it wasn't like it smashed both shoulders and the spine at the same time either-it definitely didn't use up all its energy in there
    Thats why a few uys like hunting with the 45/70 or the 450 marlin. You dont spend hours tracking a deer that bolted before dropping. Its right where you left it.....Same with the 303 and the 215gr Woodleigh round nose. BOOOM , FLOP!

quite happy to watch @timattalon double off a 450 nitro express , will even give you a hand to stand up afterwards.
    @berg Apparently I have a recoil fetish (according to my hunting buddies) but I will admit to not quite being used to the 375 H&H magnum yet.....but if someone is supplying the stick and the ammo, I am up for a go.....
    Nibblet, Micky Duck and berg243 like this.

when I first got the 416 there were 4 rounds with it, round nose so prob 400 grain. mate and I shot one each-recoil very stout would be a good description.
    To his surprise he got a tiny bruise on the shoulder-only gun to ever do that on one shot. The deer was shot with a barnes 350 x bullet doing somewhere in 2100fps mark. not to bad really, and grouped under 3/4 inch at a hundy.
    Did some other handloads with 340 Woodleigh's-put them over a chronograph and in the high 2500's. They were a snappy load but didn't sight them in and never shot anything. ballistic testing on mates pine blocks showed very dynamic expansion but then wood would do that lol
    john m and timattalon like this.

So fellas its pretty much decided. Thanks for all your ideas and input, have enjoyed the banter. No “right” answer for this, will have to see how it pans put, its a totally different rifle to anything I’ve ever owned before... but I reload and I am a big fan of the 0.473” bolt face... so the answer is... .358 Win Browning SLR. Very close second was the Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Govt. Not far behind that was the Ruger Predator in .450 Bushmaster. But the Browning won out, now just got to find one...
    308 and csmiffy like this.

So now the caliber is selected what projectiles and powder?
    Have you worked out what you will use
    I'm thinking of Sierra GK 225 and varget/ar2208
    And a solt pistol jacketed bullet 125-160 gr over trail boss and a min varget load. pest control up to goats.
    ZQ