Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Make me a recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    30/30 is reputed to have taken more deer than any other caliber according to our American friends...
    Everyone here in North America(Canada) has a 30-30, I have no doubt, to the numbers of game slew with it.
    the 30-30 beauty, isn't in the ballistics, but in the handling/portability of the M94,336 if you know how to use a buckhorn sight, its capable to 200m, and surprising accurate.

As for the original poster, I say .243, 2506, 6.5 any kind, take your pick.
    Oh, and everyone should own a lever 30-30, at sum point in there life,
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Everyone here in North America(Canada) has a 30-30, I have no doubt, to the numbers of game slew with it.
    the 30-30 beauty, isn't in the ballistics, but in the handling/portability of the M94,336 if you know how to use a buckhorn sight, its capable to 200m, and surprising accurate.

As for the original poster, I say .243, 2506, 6.5 any kind, take your pick.
    Oh, and everyone should own a lever 30-30, at sum point in there life,
    I don't doubt it either.... I also have a 30/30.
    And with the optics and accessories available no need to limit yourself to the buckhorn sights if other systems are preferred
    timattalon likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

If you don't fancy a .223 then why not the faster flatter shooting 22.250?
    Micky Duck likes this.

you'll probably want a rimfire rifle for small game / pests - depending on where you set up - a 22LR cheapest to burn ammo.

for hunting until your rifles are here (or not) - this could depend on the type of hunting you are going to be doing however options:

45/70 lever - Marlin 1895 Trapper would make a nice short bush gun option to shoot subs suppressed or leverevolution for more range.
    A 6.5cm or 6.5PRC would give you a modern cartridge that can take any game in NZ and cover off longer ranges. Depending on what tickles your fancy a Tikka, Begara, Howa, or Ruger would fit the bill - all have their strong points depending on preference

308 will drop anything in nz, ammo is widely available in a range of projectile sizes.
    to cover your bases you need a 22lr, a 12 gu and a 308
    timattalon, Steve123 and Ftx325 like this.

nothing wrong with a medium sized cal like 6.5creed/260rem or the close relatives 7mm08/243/308
    its all thats really needed for NZ hunting

standard sporter or light weight barrel would be my recommendation,length around 20inch with a DPT suppressor
    I always let the guys with the heavy barrel guns on the hunt handle my kimber montana once theyve started sweating a bit
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    30/30 is reputed to have taken more deer than any other calibre according to our american friends...
    use to be 303s held in the same regard here in nz
    times are changing, but a 303 would still do the job just fine
    outlander and Ftx325 like this.

.260 in a Tikka super light or maybe a Sako.. that’s my next pick.

Maybe even in a Model 7 if they do them

Quote Originally Posted by Nkwe View Post
    An intriguing option. I'm going to break my rule of saying “back where I come from..." but bear with me here, it is my only point of prior reference after all: Back in South Africa, the 223 was not considered ethical for antelope/warthog. Game farms often had a minimum calibre requirement of 243 for open country (springbok hunting and such). Up north in the thick stuff minimum calibre requirement was often in the 6.5mm+ range. Not sure how far it came to being actual law but there was a push to publish minimum requirements for different animal species that would have made it pretty much illegal to use the 223 for anything outside of paper punching and pest control (Black backed jackal typically).

So I do have a predisposition against the 223 for hunting. How well is it considered here? In other words, will I look like a tool as much as I think I will if I pitch with a 223 when invited along for my first hunt in NZ?
    I remember arriving on my mates farm up in Messina 35 years ago with a Bruno .270 and 150gr bullets and made to look an arse. I had to use the 303 for Kudu. Wat die fok is dit ..?

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    I remember arriving on my mates farm up in Messina 35 years ago with a Bruno .270 and 150gr bullets and made to look an arse. I had to use the 303 for Kudu. Wat die fok is dit ..?
    I know recently some landowners push for 30 calibres minimum in the bushveld. Didn't know that silliness started more than 3 decades ago. It's a bit silly really. Kudu isn't that tough, a 270, especially in 150gr, is more than enough gun for kudu. Certainly many on my dad's farm succumbed to his 270. Now if blue wildebeest is a consideration, I might start having doubts about the 270. A badly placed shot (as in, on the shoulder bones on a big bull) from a non premium bullet can make for a long hard day tracking a wounded animal. A slower, heavier bullet of premium construction is a better option. Still quite doable to shoot blue wildebeest with a 270 but certainly wouldn't be my go-to.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    Personally l would be looking at something like this that you can use as the basis of a great style of rifle known locally as the kiwi bush pig on a proven, cheap rifle ie simply add suppressor & scope of choice & it will do it all far better than anything you are trying to bring over.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....3-308-a-60202/
    This really caught my attention. What optics would you put on that?

Keep what it comes with would be my suggestion or if you are determined to change them something like a 1.5 to 5 or 7, ideal for snap shooting close and with enough magnification to go way past 200 metres with ease unless it's a rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nkwe View Post
    This really caught my attention. What optics would you put on that?
    Looks like it comes with a 3-9x42 scope. A ready to go package for a sharp price if it's still available. The only thing that could possibly be better is a 270
    Husky1600 likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

I'd be looking for a rifle that you don't have, something that is light, modern, weatherproof and durable, that can give you the precision for open country shooting and some range work, made of stainless with a good quality synthetic stock and mid range scope. Pick a calibre and case that gives you flexibility, i.e. from .264 to .30 and holds 45 - 60 grains of powder. Pick your favourite.
    I'd stay away from a heavy barrel rigs and budget options. Sporter weight barrels shoot fine on the range for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    Looks like it comes with a 3-9x42 scope. A ready to go package for a sharp price if it's still available. The only thing that could possibly be better is a 270
    and there you go , ruining a perfectly legitimate thread by mentioning poo-seventy .... the poo is about to hit the fan (as it were )

next you'll be telling us how 45/70 is the best bush calibre .... oh , wait...
    born to hunt - forced to work