Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Mid range long range Scopes

Quote Originally Posted by JD300 View Post
    @Bagheera I do agree with you but when someone stands behind their workmanship like an unlimited warranty type thing you have to pay attention,
    like there are a lot of unlimited warranties out there now that don't cover electrics or only cover for a limited time.
    Sorry I will clarify Mid price range long range scopes.
    I run a Vortex viper HD 6-24X50 I think it's pretty excellent, I will be upgrading it to something illuminated tho that's the only thing that lets it down I think.
    Mainly started the thread to discuss long range scopes and peoples experiences with them in affordable a price range for most people.
    For hunring or targets though? Will eliminate some and open other doors

I think a good question to ask, is would the brand of optic still be popular, or even still in business if it didn't offer such a warranty?
    The amount of problem vortex's around I dont think they would be in business if they didn't offer such an unconditional warranty. Now they have a reputation for a good warranty. Without it they would just have a reputation for unreliability. Whereas the likes of leupold, nightforce, s&b, steiner etc would probably still be at the top of the game even if they offered no warranty whatsoever.
    When warranty is the crutch keeping a brand up, I think there could be better choices.
    Bagheera, NZ_noddy, Friwi and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I think a good question to ask, is would the brand of optic still be popular, or even still in business if it didn't offer such a warranty?
    The amount of problem vortex's around I dont think they would be in business if they didn't offer such an unconditional warranty. Now they have a reputation for a good warranty. Without it they would just have a reputation for unreliability. Whereas the likes of leupold, nightforce, s&b, steiner etc would probably still be at the top of the game even if they offered no warranty whatsoever.
    When warranty is the crutch keeping a brand up, I think there could be better choices.
    Ive had this debate before
    You may hear that for every NF SB etc theres 5 or 10 vortex warrantys
    But there is probably 10x more Vortexs in use than most other scopes
    So as a percentage that isnt that bad
    And half the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JD300 likes this.

I have not had much experience with flash scopes. However, my new Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 x 40 with CDS, Windplex reticle, 30mm tube, and side focus has been bloody lovely for a cool $1099. It's sitting on my 7mm rem mag and would happily use it out to 600yd with some more validation and practice.

I've used it for a day at the range and a 6 day goat hunting trip (was meant to be stags...). Was fine at the range, as expected, and really good fun on goats out to 500yd.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigash View Post
    Ive had this debate before
    You may hear that for every NF SB etc theres 5 or 10 vortex warrantys
    But there is probably 10x more Vortexs in use than most other scopes
    So as a percentage that isnt that bad
    And half the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would be surprised if they outsold other brands 10 to 1. Sure they may be popular but not 10 to 1 popular.
    Im sure there are 10x more Leupolds out there than vortex, seeing as they have been around for decades, and they just arnt breaking all the time. I get that with greater quantities in circulation more issues will arise, and the percentage of faults might even out - but I don't think this is the case here. I think vortex is over represented when it comes to problems when compared to other established brands.

VX5 simple choice

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Freezer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    For hunring or targets though? Will eliminate some and open other doors
    @Kelton
    Both well I use mine for both for argument sake let's say 6-800m for hunting and the grail 1k for target
    I say Grail because it seems to be the distance that guess and shoot almost never works you have to put effort into your calculations for all calibers and dialed in doesn't mean consecutive hits
    I know the term long range is very subjective for hunting which is a ethics based decision based on a multitude of factors.

@Kelton
    Both well I use mine for both for argument sake let's say 6-800m for hunting and the grail 1k for target
    I say Grail because it seems to be the distance that guess and shoot almost never works you have to put effort into your calculations for all calibers and dialed in doesn't mean consecutive hits
    I know the term long range is very subjective for hunting which is a ethics based decision based on a multitude of factors.
    @JD300 Hard to go past zeiss v4 zeiss hd5(calibre dependant) and leupold vx5 then in my opinion have enough elevation to get most cailbres right out their the hd5 though wont quite go a km in most cartridges with the zero lock in and im unsure on the z5 not bagging it but without after market turrets im unsure of its max elevation iv never had one
    JD300 likes this.

You'd think an unlimited warranty would put a company out of business.
    But no. The natural history of a hunter is that they use each scope less and less as the decades go on, so from an accountant's perspective it's a diminishing liability.
    Suppose the company budgets for 5% returns over the lifetime: 4.5% returns = happiness; 5.5% returns = misery.
    And each Leupold scope gets used for a loong time. Look how many VX-1 scopes are still out in the hills. The M8 (fixed 4x32) are mostly in cupboards now, accumulating nostalgia even if their seals are perished to dust. So, the gradual replacement with genuinely superior models is also a hedge against warranty bankruptcy.
    JD300 likes this.

.... the likes of leupold, nightforce, s&b, steiner etc would probably still be at the top of the game even if they offered no warranty whatsoever.

I think the same.
    Moa Hunter and ChrisW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I think the same.
    me too
    ChrisW likes this.

Same here I like the ones I have a lot and there warranty is fantastic and they do stand by it.
    They need a great warranty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    ChrisW likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Yea for sure it is a big bracket (was Hard to pick one) but it seems that that is where all the technical features kick in (I think anyway haha) have you had a bad run with Vortex what would be better in the 1-2k range
    with their features and warranty?
    4x14 shv night force or a second hand NSX 3x15 night force. For less than 2k.
    I know of a 4x14 shv for $1300 in good order now I think about it
    A proper scope!

mikee and ChrisW like this.

Wise words chris!

ChrisW likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    To me so long as we are talking new and not second hand, in that price bracket I have experience with [owned or still own] and would recommend
    Nightforce SHV, Weaver superslam [ it it is still around], Leupold of choice, Sightron.
    I have no experience with the Vortex, Atherton models etc.

I have euro scopes but they don't fit the criteria of Unlimited warranty , usually 10 yrs, though I know what I prefer.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?