Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 2 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By piwakawaka
  • 3 Post By Konev

Thread: Mossberg Patriot vs Howa 1500

Mossberg Patriot vs Howa 1500

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Mossberg Patriot? It is a tidy looking rifle, but I have heard mixed reviews regarding accuracy.

I found a bare Mossberg synthetic for $699 new and the wood blued version for $999 - both 6.5 Creed.

I have routinely shot my father in law’s Howa 1500 .223 REM. Build quality is fantastic and great accuracy. However they are a little more expensive.

Howa are great value for money, they are an old sako design made in a slightly easier way

mossberg are very much a budget rifle and Iv only been dissopointed by their quality in general
    Im a big fan of their pump action shotguns but I think their rifles are crap

one of their earlier ones fell apart in more ways than one and was in general a shitter for a hunting mate of mine so I pushed him toward the howas
    Apocalypticaman likes this.

I had a 308 mossberg atr 100 as my 1st centre fire rifle.Shot many a roo and deer.Best deer shot was a fallow thru the neck at 437yds and a few bunnys at good range.Good reliable shooter for a cheap rifle.

The Howa 1500 is a great action and far better that the Mossberg. Much stronger and smoother.

I used a Mossy ATR in .308 for years - counted for a lot of deer and hundreds of goats.
    Was quite fussy over ammo, but did everything I asked of it.
    Now own a couple of Howa's and the quality/smoothness of the action just cannot be compared - major step up.
    However weightwise - the Mossy definitely seemed a lighter carry.
    Good cheap accurate guns.

Another vote for the Howa, especially the short (not mini!) action ones, get blued not stainless, it is both cheaper and better quality finish on the metal.

What you get:

Strong action, good design, mashup of old Sako L/A series and Remington 700, integral recoil lug too
    AR15 style extractor
    Good floorplate and internal magazine, can accept longer than standard cartridge lengths

What sucks:

Standard stocks, you can do the ' @Flyblown mod ' and hog out the barrel channel to make it 100% free floated though.

Bolt stop assembly not the strongest, bit of a Rube Goldberg setup.

The triggers, both the old single stage and new HACT two stage, stupid to have three positions, saftey is very loud, don't like them at all. The Timney replacement is only just slightly better but not by much. Some people put lighter springs in from GunBloke on eBay. I put mine in the bin after a fuck up trying to make the saftey 2 position.

The detachable plastic magazines, sometimes called the 'Ammo Boost kit'. STAY AWAY!!!
    They are cheaply made in every sense of the word, but spare mags are expensive, stick with the floorplate. Can't recommend the mini action because it only comes with their mag system and no floorplate (would be a world beater if it did!)

Nathan Foster rates these very highly, although barrels can be a bit hit or miss supposedly.

Several companies like Weatherby and Nosler use the Howa 1500 and dress it up a bit to claim it as their own action!

My .243 is the Alpine version which came with the fancy Bansner stock, really like it.
    Last edited by caberslash; 21-02-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Walking my rifle
    Ive owned several howas as well as mossberg PAtriot and ATR's

I really like the mossberg for the price, and its lighter than the howa. The plastic ATR stock are shit, the plastic patriot ones are fit for purpose. Both Mossberg and Howa are very accurate (Ive had both brands out to 1100 yards at least several times).
    In short, id say if you can only afford the mossberg, then get it, if you can afford the howa then get it but try get the lightweight one not the sporter (the lightweight one has lightening cuts and a thinner barrel, same action and barrel the use on the alpine)

Id say the mossberg is a bit more resistant to rust initially but the finish is nt great so as soon as it wears off it will rust, the howa is a bit more durable for rust. you did get a cerakoted mossberg though but they are generally overpriced.

Aftermarket bits, much much more available for howa, not much at all for mossberg
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

I looked at the Mossberg patriot closely last year when I was buying a new rifle, the trigger had a good feel but the bolt was loose and finicky.

I ended up selling some stuff and saving for awhile to get a Bergara B14 Extreme Hunter, no regrets whatsoever.

Excellent review of five low-priced rifles including the Mossberg Patriot (which had terrible accuracy - the worst of them all).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oX45J2RU4Q&t=803s
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Howa all day
    mudgripz likes this.

Avoid any product that markets to the US patriosim market. Its most likely low end cheap shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    Ive owned several howas as well as mossberg PAtriot and ATR's

I really like the mossberg for the price, and its lighter than the howa. The plastic ATR stock are shit, the plastic patriot ones are fit for purpose. Both Mossberg and Howa are very accurate (Ive had both brands out to 1100 yards at least several times).
    In short, id say if you can only afford the mossberg, then get it, if you can afford the howa then get it but try get the lightweight one not the sporter (the lightweight one has lightening cuts and a thinner barrel, same action and barrel the use on the alpine)

Id say the mossberg is a bit more resistant to rust initially but the finish is nt great so as soon as it wears off it will rust, the howa is a bit more durable for rust. you did get a cerakoted mossberg though but they are generally overpriced.

Aftermarket bits, much much more available for howa, not much at all for mossberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    Avoid any product that markets to the US patriosim market. Its most likely low end cheap shit.
    "Made in America or not made at all."