Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Needing a new scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    up to 2-300 yards...not dialing (any why the hell would you for under 300????) you dont need a heap of scope....I do it happily with a 3x9x40mm vx1
    also with older vx11 3x9x50mm and will do it with fixed 4x too
    if you have the $$$$$ to buy a better class of leupold...go for it...good glass is awesome.....I tried a 4x12 and hated it..absoluted hated it...cant put finger on why but it just didnt do it for me at all.
    Probably the small FOV (even on 4x) and bulk.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Banned
    If you are shooting mostly bush, good light gathering / poor light resolution and good thick crosshairs is very important. I have a Bushnell Elite and three leupolds ( not a VX 5) and the Bushnell is better in poor light.
    I would go with a second hand Swaro Z3
    Nathanfish and G.I_Joel like this.

Well; here is a trick.
    If you learn the subtensions of the inch / moa measurement from crosshair up or down to where the post thickens; - At 9* using a duplex the subtension at 100 yds is 2 1/"2- 3". At 100 yards if you zero using the upper junction of thin to thick you will be near ad gnats tit to dead on ifvyou hold crosshair on target at 200 yards. Then whenvyou have a target at 300yards you use the lower thin / thick junction; this being 3" / moa ( @ 100yards x 3) = 9" drop compensation to give you a poi in the boiler room. In other words these subtensions can take some of the guesswork out of estimating holdover when field shooting at a large targetcsuch ad broadside deer chest area. It's simple to figure the values for your own duplex reticle just by looking at a target gridded in inches / moa at 100 and noting the position of the various parts of the reticle on the grid.
    chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Well; here is a trick.
    If you learn the subtensions of the inch / moa measurement from crosshair up or down to where the post thickens; - At 9* using a duplex the subtension at 100 yds is 2 1/"2- 3". At 100 yards if you zero using the upper junction of thin to thick you will be near ad gnats tit to dead on ifvyou hold crosshair on target at 200 yards. Then whenvyou have a target at 300yards you use the lower thin / thick junction; this being 3" / moa ( @ 100yards x 3) = 9" drop compensation to give you a poi in the boiler room. In other words these subtensions can take some of the guesswork out of estimating holdover when field shooting at a large targetcsuch ad broadside deer chest area. It's simple to figure the values for your own duplex reticle just by looking at a target gridded in inches / moa at 100 and noting the position of the various parts of the reticle on the grid.
    some of us still remember the 30-30 reticle tasco brought out in what???the 80s...back before rangefinders,you could get a reasonable idea of range the deer was at by using body length on broadside inside reticle as measure...if memory serves me right...filled from thick to thick was 100yards..thick to centre was 200....of course it only worked if deer was a certain size.....have heard of reticle dots being used in similar fashion.....
    this bush hobbit uses old fashioned eyetrometre and if I think its too far....it probably is....
    google earth measuring from lookouts to common places game are seen ,at home when bored, gives me a fair indication of whats on and whats not...and keeps eye in when on those lookouts.

I would go second hand quality euro brand,have sold most of my other scopes and only use Kahles 2-7 optics now apart from one compact Leupold and a couple of red dots.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Ha. Wait till you get REALLY old md. Then you just shoot if ya can see em. No holdover required.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Ha. Wait till you get REALLY old md. Then you just shoot if ya can see em. No holdover required.
    like ducks just on dusk.........
    Woody likes this.

H.M
    Well; here is a trick.
    Yep i do similar thing with just a vx freedom. Centre cross hair zerod at 200 then aim middle of the lower thinner part of crosshair for 300 and aim where thin part goes to thicker part for 350. Although i am considering a vx3i soon as going out to 400 would be nice. I could do this buy aiming high from the 350 mark but i like to be sure.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Yep i do similar thing with just a vx freedom. Centre cross hair zerod at 200 then aim middle of the lower thinner part of crosshair for 300 and aim where thin part goes to thicker part for 350. Although i am considering a vx3i soon as going out to 400 would be nice. I could do this buy aiming high from the 350 mark but i like to be sure.
    Or like you say zero with top part of the cross hair....might try that.

Leupold VX5 is an awesome scope along with the likes of a Swaro Z5 but for your uses you probably don’t really need it. I would be looking at something like a Leupold VX3i 3-10X40 as a nice scope with good glass and the ability to dial if you ever wanted but also small and simple for your basic up close use.
    GWH, Micky Duck and G.I_Joel like this.

I’ve just learnt after reading through all the replies that I know next to nothing about scopes haha. Will need to get in some research and get my eye behind a few more before I decide to make a choice. dailing up is new to me, have some good mates who shoot longer ranges and have some quality optics to browse over. I’ll certainly try get bushnell to have a look at it, if they can fix it then that’s a small win towards a newer scope.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.
    Go fast, Don’t suck

Quote Originally Posted by G.I_Joel View Post
    I’ve just learnt after reading through all the replies that I know next to nothing about scopes haha. Will need to get in some research and get my eye behind a few more before I decide to make a choice. dailing up is new to me, have some good mates who shoot longer ranges and have some quality optics to browse over. I’ll certainly try get bushnell to have a look at it, if they can fix it then that’s a small win towards a newer scope.
    2-10 vx5 zl2 if the budget will extend to it, if not, 3-10 vx3 will do all you need.

The vx5 and equivelent level scopes really are a big step up in optical quality, not needed to shoot animals but sure are nice to look through
    superdiver and G.I_Joel like this.

Vx3 4.5-14 1" have a shitty eye relief. 30mm version is better for that.
    Vx3 3.5-10 is nice but a long way behind the vx5.
    Swaro z3, 2nd hand kahles or similar would be a great bet.
    The trijicon @chainsaw is selling is a bloody good scope if you can fit the 56mm objective on your rifle.
    chainsaw and G.I_Joel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Vx3 4.5-14 1" have a shitty eye relief. 30mm version is better for that.
    Vx3 3.5-10 is nice but a long way behind the vx5.
    Swaro z3, 2nd hand kahles or similar would be a great bet.
    The trijicon @chainsaw is selling is a bloody good scope if you can fit the 56mm objective on your rifle.
    You are not the first guy to mention that scope either.
    Go fast, Don’t suck

I have the following two scope arriving next month - New

Delta Optical Titanium 2.5-15x50 HD SF
    With illumination and "Side Focus" parallax correction
    Available with 4 AS and 2D reticle SKU# DO-2449
    $1450

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87s4XLC-rSo

Delta Titanium HD 4-24×50 SFP
    Interchangeable Turret Rifle Scope SKU# DO-2462
    $1890

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    Moa Hunter likes this.