Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: New Illegal Police Firearm Policy

New Illegal Police Firearm Policy

I had the same thing happen with the lower I just brought too but they didn't say only just asked if it was going to be used for a or e and no serial numbers where given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southernredneck; 12-01-2016 at 07:26 PM.

the local cops (whangarei) made me sign a letter saying my lower was for A cat only and reckon I have to take in the gun once it's completed..

Quote Originally Posted by clavulanate View Post
    the local cops (whangarei) made me sign a letter saying my lower was for A cat only and reckon I have to take in the gun once it's completed..
    Are you fucking serious? Don't sign shit and you're not required to do so by law, and do not take it in unless for endorsement reasons.

Sign what ever and asked for a copy then forward it to COLFO
    gadgetman and res like this.

I ended up signing the letter because I had $500 floating in limbo and they weren't budging. I spoke with Ken from NZAR15 about it afterwards and he told me about the legalities and requested a copy of my letter from the firearms officer, I don't know what happened after that. As for taking it in, while I don't want to I also don't want the local cops over extending their authority and breathing down my neck every 5 minutes because of my spooky black gun. I'll tell them I don't have to by law but if they keep pushing I'll probably just fold to cover my ass. It's stress I could do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    And write 'under duress' under the signature.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Why sign it? Just take it and don't sign it and forward to COLFO.

Its all most worth while travelling to the wholesalers and buying the upper and lowers and what ever other parts one needs to avoid the hassell from NZP.
    dogmatix and mikee like this.

Wholesalers are getting the same treatement too.
    Also while it's good to support local I also like to keep my own family fed so being able to bypass suppliers and some of their horrendous mark ups is important to me.
    Also Wholesalers don't always have what one wants.

I asked around, and a mate asked a few police contacts what the deal was. The story is that the bit of paper that people are being asked to sign is a declaration of sorts that it's not an E firearm at the time of sale. Apparently they have had a few people incorrectly using a S43A form instead of a 67X as they are supposed to. This is what I'm told anyway.

Has anyone actually got a copy or image of this magic bit of paper? That would clear things up pretty quick I suspect
    Hunt4life and stretch like this.

The only bit of paper i signed was a letter I wrote up myself saying the lower wouldn't be used in an E cat configuration. The police themselves never provided any paperwork to me, just held onto the police mail order form while they contacted national HQ and until they decided they wanted my safe rechecked and said the paperwork wouldn't be sent ahead unless i signed the letter as well as agreeing to take the rifle in to be checked (as if i couldn't just put an E cat stock on at home and change it when i went in there?) once completed. It really just seems like they don't know what they are talking about, which is disappointing and frustrating.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clavulanate View Post
    The only bit of paper i signed was a letter I wrote up myself saying the lower wouldn't be used in an E cat configuration. The police themselves never provided any paperwork to me, just held onto the police mail order form while they contacted national HQ and until they decided they wanted my safe rechecked and said the paperwork wouldn't be sent ahead unless i signed the letter as well as agreeing to take the rifle in to be checked (as if i couldn't just put an E cat stock on at home and change it when i went in there?) once completed. It really just seems like they don't know what they are talking about, which is disappointing and frustrating.
    When I done my last form it only went to my AO (although it was only for 3k rounds of ammo).
    Also guarantee you if your form was for ammo, or a bolt action or any other semi that wasn't an AR they wouldn't be interested in checking your safe.
    This is pretty much AR15 discrimination.
    southernredneck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    This is pretty much AR15 discrimination.
    It's because they're black.
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

Its not happening in all areas. I ordered a stripped AR upper and lower from Digit last month. Went down to the Cambridge Police station and filled out the form. No dramas whatsoever. Maybe some over zealous AOs??

Watching very closely! Please keep us updated! If there's a petition going around I'm sure we would all be glad to sign it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk