Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Nightforce 2.5-10x42

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    @7mmsaum Remember this beast ? way back before it all became popular lol
    Attachment 222438
    Attachment 222439
    Remember that rifle well, still have the load data for it

Was really nice to shoot
    Nathan F likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    One fault, heavy. To some that matters based on your requirements/preferences and to others it doesn’t, like all faults in other brands.
    Bang on the money . The only fault I could ever find

Gkp
    The nx8 may be a bit heavy at 810g but like what....200 grams too heavy compared to say a vx6.
    I've thought about what else would do the same job for less weight but I don't think there is anything.
    The nxs 2.5-10x42 is a perfect weight IMO

I have one, awesome scope. Just a touch lightweight on zoom power for longer range but the crosshairs(IHR reticle)on mine are nice and fine so up to 400yards is fine. Make sure you get a Zero stop one, super handy.
    Gkp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    The nx8 may be a bit heavy at 810g but like what....200 grams too heavy compared to say a vx6.
    I've thought about what else would do the same job for less weight but I don't think there is anything.
    The nxs 2.5-10x42 is a perfect weight IMO
    That NXS does come in at a good weight. I liked my NX8 but I did notice the extra weight and it was enough that I no longer enjoyed carrying the rifle compared to when it had a VX5 on it. Was an epic scope but in the end I moved it because it just wasn’t the right fit for my personal preferences in a hunting scope.
    Nathan F and Gkp like this.

Yep personal preference. That rifle I posted earlier in the thread came in at around 11 pounds all up. Didn’t mine lugging that everywhere when I was 30. In my late 40’s nah

Just the be clear NF are great scopes

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    That NXS does come in at a good weight. I liked my NX8 but I did notice the extra weight and it was enough that I no longer enjoyed carrying the rifle compared to when it had a VX5 on it. Was an epic scope but in the end I moved it because it just wasn’t the right fit for my personal preferences in a hunting scope.
    I think its more then the total number that makes the difference. the weight in them seems to sit high and that little extra makes it too top heavy and just a pain in the hills.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Re eye relief I just checked what my Burris veracity 2-10x42 ffp has and the book says 3.5"-4.25".
    If you are running something with a bit of recoil it does become important for a field hunting rifle or one day an uphill shot will give you scope eye.
    Z

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Which one and how long?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    I have a couple of Kahles scopes, both steel tube from the 90's. I doubt that NF would be any tougher. One is a 3 - 12 x 56 FFP and the other a 4x32. The Modern Kahles are just as tough and will beat out the NF in poor light
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I have a couple of Kahles scopes, both steel tube from the 90's. I doubt that NF would be any tougher. One is a 3 - 12 x 56 FFP and the other a 4x32. The Modern Kahles are just as tough and will beat out the NF in poor light
    To be honest all quality scopes are good enough, just some better than others
    I used to rate the kahles but mate had trouble with his and two trips to europe and still not sorted.
    I haven't played with the kahles latest offerings but no doubt they are very good as all tier one scopes should be.
    I still have 6x24x56 15yearold zeiss diavari tactical.
    It has its design faults but it is some of the most amazing low light Glass I have ever looked through ever.
    Jury is out on what's tougher.
    Send me a video of you smacking a spike into wood with your kahles and see how that goes.
    Drunk one night I was smashing cans with a nxs crushing them.
    Woke up inthe morning thinking what have idone but it was absolutely fine.
    I have video some where.
    On the piss after a gun buy back event.
    We all have choices and choose what ever we perceive will do the job for what we need.

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I used to rate the kahles but mate had trouble with his and two trips to europe and still not sorted.
    I haven't played with the kahles latest offerings but no doubt they are very good as all tier one scopes should be.
    It has its design faults but it is some of the most amazing low light Glass I have ever looked through ever.
    Send me a video of you smacking a spike into wood with your kahles and see how that goes.
    I have video some where.
    We all have choices and choose what ever we perceive will do the job for what we need.

I did see that video

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I did see that video

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    It must of been a big night for me to do that!

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Banned
    I have video some where.

I agree with you that Zeiss are pretty amazing in low light. From ones I have compared / used I think that they beat all others. The East German Zeiss are quite something, made for shooting in darkness, as are their binos.
    The glass on NF could be better imo. It is good but it is not the very best, not even as good as Delta and they come from the same factory. Perhaps it is not actually the glass but the coatings ? I dont know but I find the colour definition on some scopes - Leupold being the worst, is a bit washed out making it slower to see the animal against it's background. Target type scopes seem to be coated so that they are very clear and easy to see black on white but if used for hunting it is hard to see colours. This is where Swaro has the edge imo. Nightforce seem like a cross over Target / Hunting scope
    Gkp likes this.

I highly rate them that much I’ve got two of them, parallax is handy for a 10 power scope, 2 illumination colours for day and evening shooting, bomb proof reliability as I’ve had mine bounce of the quad a couple of times. Probably one of the most reliable scopes that is versatile you can get for hunting within 600m. 400m is easy on deer with a 308. I just wish I had Mil-Mil now instead of Moa.

The twins on a 308 and a 300BLK.

Bill999, Moa Hunter, Gkp and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Andy is the nx8 1-8 usable in the lower mag. I.e can you see the reticle?
    I was thinking this would be a good option myself
    I have two 1-8 FC-MOA reticle scopes, use them a lot. I don't use the hashes, just dial to 500m on animals. When I'm walking I put the throw lever vertical at 3x and the reticle is very fast to acquire, the lines and hashes become like crosshairs also. Only criticism is when the light is dull the scope can be hard to use past 6x. I do most longer range shooting at 6x and only use 8x in bright light. 6x is excellent. Yes the reticle is fat at 8x but I don't have a problem with it, prefer it to the newer DMX reticle which I don't think performs as well at low mag. I also am not interested in the christmas tree in the DMX. I use 1x with the illum on every now and again when I sneak up on animals. The red dot performance is a bit more picky with your head position but if you shoot with a good cheek weld it works fine. Not as good as a Razor 1-6 which you can see the dot even when the image is black due to your head not being centered.

I have a couple of SHV 3-10 which I prefer to the NXS 2.5-10 due to the german 4 reticles, capped windage, no parallax and price. I dial with them no problem but wouldn't recommend the dialing with an inexperienced shooter due to no ZS. If they put the ZS turret on the SHV I don't think they would sell many NXS 2.5-10.

Cheers,

Mark