Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nikon or my Anschutz WTF????

Iv watched a mini14 destroy a brand new bushnell

i just put it down to shit scopes on teeth rattler

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Two Nikon Prostaff 4x32 Rimfire scopes in a row broken crosshairs on my Anschutz 22LR. These replaced a Leopold rimfire, broken crosshairs.

Took the Nikon Monarch off my rem mag, where it was functioning fine (may have broken then), mounted it on the Anschutz. 1" @ 25m 2" @ 50m

Something not right here. I hold the scope at a teeny angle so there is a little reflection on the cross hairs, elevation has a visible crack, windage has a crack and with a visible hole in it.

I've never broken a cross hair on any other rifle. Rings have been changed in there somewhere.
    May be a stupid question, but does your scope actually have a cross HAIR? A lot of "cross hairs" are not actually crossed wires (think, how would you wind a MIL/MOA wire???) but rather etchings onto glass.

If it's an imperfection in an etching you won't have a problem -- more like the situation where a house owner finds a grubby fingerprint inside his new double glazing.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Something fishy here. How have you manged to break cross hairs on 5 scopes. Think maybe you are hard on the gear?

probably those big kicking standard and high velocity 22lr
    I just stick to subs myself haven't broken a scope with them yet
    Moa Hunter and Cordite like this.

I reckon its the rifle-cant be fixed and just a lemon.
    Tell you what, Ill give you 50 bucks for it to make it go away and save the rest of your scopes, and I'll give it a hiding to make it see the error of its ways
    gadgetman and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    Something fishy here. How have you manged to break cross hairs on 5 scopes. Think maybe you are hard on the gear?
    But it sounds like only on that particular rifle, not on other (much harder recoiling) guns.

Which makes me thing its the gun that is the problem.

Banned
    These are integral dovetails cut down either side of the receiver. Straight to the naked eye. I will measure it. The lines are definitely straight and apparently parralel, so I don't see them producing enough torque to damage the scope.

I think I'm just rough. I do break a lot of gear. Anything that doesn't crumble around me is quality.

Someone said three scopes. It's actually four. The last one had a dozen rounds of Rem Mag and was apparently broken when it went on the 22LR.

What about a curse? I have never had a rifle fall over. I bought a 10/22 that had fallen over so badly it lost part of the front bead and bent the barrel screws. I fixed it by reversing the barrel mount. It's fallen over twice since I got it. I've decided it's cursed and just likes falling over.

Bill999 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

parralel dovetails...same as bro in laws bakail and it has same issue...airgun single piece mount and issue went away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Ouch. Yep, you are probably right. I'm not convinced anything is out of alignment. I think it's just this is a working rifle and the scopes were not up to it.

As I have three to send back I might get them fixed.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    maybe you really need a gun bag, or even better a gun case, you know, rather than throwing the rifle into the trunk. ;0

Farken hell, how rough are you? As I say I've used a bunch of Nikons (have used Leupolds). Including a Prostaff Rimfire I've had for about five years and an older monarch I've had for about 10 years. The monach has been on at least four different centrefires and has done all sorts of hunting trips with no issues. I'm not at all easy on my gear, but I'm not stupid with it either. I'd say most kiwi hunters would be fairly tough on gear compared say the average European hunter in his stand.

Any reasonable scope should stand up to the riggers of a "working rifle". Many professional pest guys use fairly cheap optics. To be breaking scopes like that you must be literally throwing your rifle around....????
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Ouch. Yep, you are probably right. I'm not convinced anything is out of alignment. I think it's just this is a working rifle and the scopes were not up to it.

As I have three to send back I might get them fixed.
    Yeah, the price is steep, but they self eliminate any mis-alignment. I've switched to them on a lot of rifles. Cheap compared to the cost of yet another scope.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    May be a stupid question, but does your scope actually have a cross HAIR? A lot of "cross hairs" are not actually crossed wires (think, how would you wind a MIL/MOA wire???) but rather etchings onto glass.

If it's an imperfection in an etching you won't have a problem -- more like the situation where a house owner finds a grubby fingerprint inside his new double glazing.
    Now that would properly fu_k me right off.....