Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Open country mountain rifle. 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm08??

Go 7mmRM and be done with it. Covers all bases from 0 - 500 with ease, recoils not bad plenty of options to address that if need be. Factory ammo available in pretty much every hunting shop and if you decide to reload later on, heaps of options to choose from.
    gadgetman and hotsoup like this.

GWH
    Yep couple of guys on here have 20" suppressed 7RMs. 3k with 162 Amax is still achievable with the right powder.

7RM is the easiest way to go. And I have 7mmSaum and 284wins.
    hotsoup and mawzer308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Go 7mmRM and be done with it. Covers all bases from 0 - 500 with ease, recoils not bad plenty of options to address that if need be. Factory ammo available in pretty much every hunting shop and if you decide to reload later on, heaps of options to choose from.
    Even little @TimeRider has ho trouble with her 7RM with either suppressor or brake on it. She loves to shoot it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

res
    I have both 7mm08 and 7mm Rem Mag rifles, and for what your describing I would take the 7mmRem Mag every time. As others have said- if you dont want to reload then there are people who offer that service, and if your actully using so much ammo hunting that the cost per round then you will save $ by using there services.
    A330driver likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

HB.
    Yeah I have a 18” 7mm Saum and don’t reload (at this stage). NZ Hunter does the reloading for me and their not too badly priced considering the benefits over factory ammo. It’s apparently good for out to 600 yards but with the short barrel and lightweight stock it’s a pleasure to carry around through the scrub and to bring up to the shoulder.
    Danny and chainsaw like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by HB. View Post
    Yeah I have a 18” 7mm Saum and don’t reload (at this stage). NZ Hunter does the reloading for me and their not too badly priced considering the benefits over factory ammo. It’s apparently good for out to 600 yards but with the short barrel and lightweight stock it’s a pleasure to carry around through the scrub and to bring up to the shoulder.
    With 162g it'll do 600 easy.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HB. View Post
    What does that cost?

. 243 is all you need. Gd to at least 500, so they say

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Philipo, BRADS, hotsoup and 1 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I'd have to disagree Hamish, 243 can easily smack targets at 500. Just because you can take an animal at 500 doesn't mean you should. 243 is a great calibre but long range hunting cartridge it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    I'd have to disagree Hamish, 243 can easily smack targets at 500. Just because you can take an animal at 500 doesn't mean you should. 243 is a great calibre but long range hunting cartridge it is not.
    I'd have to agree with that statement, bullet weight dependent. I have shot a stag at 500 with a 85 interbond out of the 243 into its engine room. The hit was good but it did not stop it, having said that, it didn't go too far as it was hurting bad. Found it bedded up in head-high tussock, it boosted as I spooked it, but poochy dragged it down and I dispatched it. Have bought some 95 sst's, just have to do load development now for them, but won't be doing long shots like that with 243 again. Accurate yes, but punch at range no.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    I'd have to agree with that statement, bullet weight dependent. I have shot a stag at 500 with a 85 interbond out of the 243 into its engine room. The hit was good but it did not stop it, having said that, it didn't go too far as it was hurting bad. Found it bedded up in head-high tussock, it boosted as I spooked it, but poochy dragged it down and I dispatched it. Have bought some 95 sst's, just have to do load development now for them, but won't be doing long shots like that with 243 again. Accurate yes, but punch at range no.
    My comments were in jest as there are guys out there who take dumb shots with small calibres and there is a perfect example of a gun that can hit a deer but not put it down. Not ethical in my books. I prefer bigger is better. Be like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Now the serious answer. Go bigger that 708, I have a 284 as the 7RM is a man's gun and it does all I need.

As you were gentlemen

Back under my rock for a while

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, BRADS, kidmac42 and 1 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Hey Mish lol
    HNTMAD likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

.264 Winchester magnum I just happen to know of one going cheap, scoped, dies, brass etc about a third of the price of a TX3 ready to go.

Cheers guys. Looks like the 7mm rem mag it is then.
    Reloading would be ideal, but just don't think I shoot enough to justify it. Maybe one day.
    res likes this.