Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Questions about a new farm gun

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'd go for a Howa, Marlin or Zastava in 223 if it were me. Still fine within 100m but more versatile if he wants to stretch a little further or bigger.
    Not hard to get a cheap HOWA in stainless either and they shoot as good as any tikka I've seen(who wants to be a fucking sheep)

A ..22 mag will do all that he needs to do , ie cows ,possums , rabbitsand hares . IMO a 222 or bigger is too much gun for what he wants it for , as a safety considaration with kids , workers walking around farm a pass through with a head shot is allways on , more so if the cow is in the yards and close .
    ZG47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Not hard to get a cheap HOWA in stainless either and they shoot as good as any tikka I've seen(who wants to be a fucking sheep)
    tui add!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I believe it's illegal now as well, but I may be wrong
    It's not reccomended, and when you fill out your dairy diary for fonterra and it is checked at shed inspection time, if you have stated that you use a rimfire rifle to euthanize adult cattle, you will be asked why, and encouraged to change that practice. Anyone who says "oh it's point blank bla bla bla" has obviously not seen enough cattle being shot point blank with a 22 to realise that no, it does not work 100% all the time and you have a duty of care as a carer of animals to ensure that even in death you are doing your utmost to ensure that animal experiences the absolute minimum of suffering possible, shooting it with a 22, you are failing that obligation.

I'm no dairy farmer and ive only ever shot two beefys and they were both at about 50cm with a .22 . They both dropped like a sack of spuds... I can internalise the reason for discouraging rimfires on large animals. As the more energy the better. Have you seen cows not humanely killed with a 22?
    Is it just shot placement the problem? 40g of lead at over 1000fps has. Penetrated bone/ brain no problems in my experience.. I'm not condoning it as I agree a center fire would be better.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by deepsouthaussie; 29-08-2016 at 09:11 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

He uses it to shoot the odd cow/calf, cat but mostly hares, rabbits and possums. Its a dairy farm with alot of small hills & hedges so line of sight is never more than 100m and noise is definitely something that needs to be taken into consideration.
    .22 mag .

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    I'm no dairy farmer and ive only ever shot two beefys and they were both at about 50cm with a .22 . They both dropped like a sack of spuds... I can internalise the reason for discouraging rimfires on large animals. As the more energy the better. Have you seen cows not humanely killed with a 22?
    Is it just shot placement the problem? 40g of lead at over 1000fps has. Penetrated bone/ brain no problems in my experience.. I'm not condoning it as I agree a center fire would be better.

Yes, I have seen that 40gr of lead literally just disintegrate at point blank range. I have also seen a cow that was shot point blank in the head, then farmer went off to get the tractor to remove the dead cow but came back to said cow, standing with blood pissing out it's nose, mouth, ears, eyes, and very much alive, a bloody sobering sight (and no, it was not me who did the shooting, but it was me who got called to shoot it properly with a rifle fit for the job as the cow was now stumbling around delirious and even point blank was impossible), as said, you can tell me it's fine because it's at point blank range untill you are blue in the face and I still won't accept it. Yes, it works, no, it doesn't work 100% of the time, and to assume it does is not taking every reasonable step to ensure that any suffering is minimised.

I have other means now and next beefy will cop an extra 100g's at triple the pace curtosy of the mighty .270

Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

That post copped a triple edit courtesy of Mr Speights

calves with .22lr .......did this a few times last season...did one through the pithing spot and 2nd from front on using the x of eyes n ears method, both shots fatal but double up made sure, cut throat afterwards.
    as to original question
    a bakail in 7.62x39mm would be very very hard to go past for putting down cows, super simple and cheap to run, but would have enough grunt should you need to put one down who has gone troppo,slam a round or three into chest/shoulder as fast as you can and it be lights out in no time,would be immobile almost immediately. either the bakail single or norincos bolt would do the job nicely. a varmit projectile in .223 would take care of rabbits etc and lower chance of ricochet considerably . put in a better pill and putting down cow with head shot no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I got a Marlin 22 mag from a forum member a short while ago, and haven't felt the urge to pick up the JW15 since
    223 is probably not much more expensive to run, and you have the benefit of reloading if you want to.
    Your taste is slowly developing!
    Pengy likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    tui add!

Is that what you drink? Flip your really letting yourself down there.
    Crack open a speights anytime and you will be surely impressed:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yes, I have seen that 40gr of lead literally just disintegrate at point blank range. I have also seen a cow that was shot point blank in the head, then farmer went off to get the tractor to remove the dead cow but came back to said cow, standing with blood pissing out it's nose, mouth, ears, eyes, and very much alive, a bloody sobering sight (and no, it was not me who did the shooting, but it was me who got called to shoot it properly with a rifle fit for the job as the cow was now stumbling around delirious and even point blank was impossible), as said, you can tell me it's fine because it's at point blank range untill you are blue in the face and I still won't accept it. Yes, it works, no, it doesn't work 100% of the time, and to assume it does is not taking every reasonable step to ensure that any suffering is minimised.
    My job as an apprentice was to refurb the stun guns for beef at a Borthwicks plant, .22 blank put down thousands of animals, a very cruel way to do the job. I watch a cow take 8 shots with the 2" spike once, slaughterman had a real sweat on loading and firing. We also had a few go down then get back up once the door had released. Few white faces on the board when they emerged at the top of the ramp! Use to herd them into a chiller and my old man would shot them with a .22 through a purpose fit hole in the roof. He would put s few rounds in before they dropped. The good old days huh!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Double posts aaaarrrrggghhh
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Is that what you drink? Flip your really letting yourself down there.
    Crack open a speights anytime and you will be surely impressed:-)
    Mate! I am over qualified in speights as I was born in the womb of speights country Dunedin!
    my dad always said I was weaned on it so it's no surprise that I have a healthy penchant for it!
    As I can't guzzle like I used to I now partake of the more refined beverages of the craft kind but boy at between $5 and $19 for a 500ml it's an expensive habit to get a hangover!

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!