Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Questions about a new farm gun

Large animals are actually really hard to kill outright and thus you assume the shot is to stun and sever the two neck arteries and break the neck to be sure. If the shot kills it, oh well. Saves the horror of half dead cattle rampaging around the place.

You don't come across any South Africans waxing lyrical about the mighty 223's ability to kill a cape buffalo outright.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    You probably need to get some parameters from her regarding price etc.

There's a world of difference between a new POS Norinco or Toz for example, and a new Cooper.
    Two points to this. Toz (new ones) are very good and well on par with many rifles much more expensive. And there are good norincos and bad ones.

I have found the Toz model 78s have been so good I have nearly sold out and only have a few left. (And I do not have any faulty ones left over...all buyers that I know of are happy)

If you a re referring to the Toz 17s then please bear in mind they are 40 years old and more and still shooting well.....

If after a good 22 there are always the likes of CZ as well. Budget and use. From what I have read so far a 22LR is not really up to what he wants.
    kotuku and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'd go for a Howa, Marlin or Zastava in 223 if it were me. Still fine within 100m but more versatile if he wants to stretch a little further or bigger.
    There's some good advice...

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    fuk buy a 22 for bunnies etc and get a cheap 410 single shot with solids for the Moo's. I've shot a few deer 1/2 a doz and the odd pig with my 22, not to be recommended but it was go home empty otherwise. None escaped but most required a back up shot or two.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I personally use a 44 mag for euthanising cows and a 22 for calves , I have witnessed a 22 mag hit a steer in the head and ricochet by a home kill butcher . The OP should recommend he stick with a 22 for calves and a minimum of a 223 for cows which would also be great for varmints and the odd goat pig or deer.

Thanks for the info guys - this has given me alot of useful points that I had not considered which is exactly why I asked the question. The cheap single shot shotgun might be the go for the cows as he doesnt need it for that too often so this would be good at bridging the gap between regular needs and the other end of the scale.

yes Tim i run botha trusty old40yr toz17 .22 built like a t54 tank and had destroyed two cattle with broken legs in my hands (pointblankrange winchester rabbit ammo.)both thank christ were instant death,be cause a suffering beast i cant stand. i can also understand the POV of those who advocate centrefire for the job -its safer.That old sheila is now in the hands of GSPfollower who likes to relate to bunnies with it.carries a paulus manders suppresor fitted by the man himself over 25yrs ago and its deadly.taken tons of possums rabbits hares and ocasionally ive euthanised kids pets when its that time.with sibs it makes my airrifle sound like a 12g!
    recently as a wee treat got meself a norinco .22jw15 shorty -wee beauty for in my truck.
    its got two big brothers a norinco .223(sourced through your good self Tim) &a 7.62x39.but if ya wanna play big ball ye trusty ol no4mk1.303 with a 215gn armour piercing round is always a pleasure to watch when it hits.a 180gn rn .303 is also bloody spectacular on possums &hares.-INSTANT COMPOST
    No gadgetman -im not bloody executing my sons car collection ..but on second thoughts.
    anyhow -Im of the opinion every man selects his own tools according to what he wants and how he does it ,and mine dont let me down.
    in saying al this iam not taking the piss out of those who choose to run topline outfits-thats their right and so it should be.
    Last edited by kotuku; 30-08-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    fuk buy a 22 for bunnies etc and get a cheap 410 single shot with solids for the Moo's. I've shot a few deer 1/2 a doz and the odd pig with my 22, not to be recommended but it was go home empty otherwise. None escaped but most required a back up shot or two.
    I'm with GA on this one. Buy a good/better.22 and some sort of shotty using solids on cows for the 'just in case' factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Thanks for the info guys - this has given me alot of useful points that I had not considered which is exactly why I asked the question. The cheap single shot shotgun might be the go for the cows as he doesnt need it for that too often so this would be good at bridging the gap between regular needs and the other end of the scale.
    no need for solids for cows that are down/only semi mobile any old birdshot load will work fine up close eg under a meter...the clay target loads will do just nicely with added bonus of not kicking the crap out of shooter and good for Pidgeon's in the haybarn too. at range of under 1metre the shot will still be in tight ball if not still inside the wad and will punch its way in but wont over penetrate and exit,and if you cock it up and miss completely the 1000 odd wee pellets bouncing off concrete/rocks aren't as likely to be fatal to bystanders or the tractor as a 1oz hunk of lead.

all the cows ive had to shoot in the yards i used a 357 up close. in some yards a high powed rifle becomes dangerous with concrete floors, steel gates etc
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.

Got a few mates farming all sorts of animals, they are using everything from .22 , .223 , 243 , 308 , 7mm rem mag ,357mag and even one is using a 300aac Blackout for his every day farm gun.
    For me I would use a .22 or 300 Blackout but that would all depend on what your farming, what is the main use is and type of terrain.