Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Range finder or Range finder bino combo

Range finder or Range finder bino combo

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations for a good rangefinder/bino combo or if I should just get a range finder and separate binos

I have a pair of Leupold Yosemites in 8x30 for NI hunting, but with a shift to the SI coming up thinking of going for a better set for open country glassing and wondering if I should spend a bit more and get a RF/Bino combo.

Cheers FBD

After having the sig kilo 3ks I will never go back to a dedicated rangefinder. For a long time the only affordable ones were the bushnells 1600 jobbies but there's way more options now with much better glass and features.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    jono7 and Fat belly Dog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    After having the sig kilo 3ks I will never go back to a dedicated rangefinder. For a long time the only affordable ones were the bushnells 1600 jobbies but there's way more options now with much better glass and features.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Second that, even better with the kestrel 5700.
    I'm going to get the new 10k ones when they turn up.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I have the Leopold Yosemite 8x30 porro - and they're actually a great bang for the $. I have the new Nikon Monarch M7 8x30 and the Nikon has a much wider fielder of view and compact, but optically only slightly better which you would expect given they cost 3x the Yosemites. I've got a Leupold Laser RX-1200 Rangefinder which of course optically are not great compared to binos, but do the job. Together the Nikon binos + Leupold RF are a lightweight and mid priced combo.

It comes down to how much you want to spend - if you want to keep to a budget I think you will get better bino glass splitting the two devices. You'd be roughly paying 2.5x as much for equivalent glass to get a 2 in 1. I always have a fear that electronic gear will only last 5-7 years, while a good set of binos will give you decades of service. There's no arguing that a bino-RF is a great convenience, so if you have $$$ go for it - I remember when they used to be $10k+

When my current gear craps out, my next one will be a bino-RF by which time prices will have come down even more.
    Fat belly Dog likes this.

There is nothing wrong with your 8 x 30 for tops hunting. They are as bright in low light as 10x42 (similar exit pupil), but are so much lighter and easier to wear. The 30mm lenses equal lightweight and compact without compromising too much on light gathering ability.
    Also due to its large FOV I've found that you can find just as many animals with the 8x30 vs 10x42. In open country an 8x is suitable for 95% of the time to find game, then if you need a closer view use that expense scope on your rifle.

So I would keep your 8x30 and buy a separate range finder.

Technology these days is advancing quickly, so it's much easier to sell your stand-alone and cheaper range finder when newer designs come out, than trying to sell your expensive and outdated heavy combo Bino/Range finders.
    And don't underestimate the weight of a combo RF bino...they get heavy fast...
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Thanks Hermitage and Daniel

Good to have some feed back and I will try the 8x30s and a rangefinder out. My current max range is 400m so dont need anything to extreme. The Leopold Yosemite 8x30 are a great set of binos for the price and good for NI slips hunting,

good info and saved me a couple of grand which I can spend on either a better scope or rifle...

Cheers FBD
    Hermitage likes this.

if you have a decent set of binos (8x30 sounds fine) the yeah, just get a rangefinder. I've cot a combined set and while I like how compact having it all in one is, I also had the rangefinder crap out. it was fine, got it replaced under warranty but it meant I didn't have a ranger or binos for a month

Sig Kilos are very good but their new Zulus are next level!
    8-10k range plus stabilization. Absolutely a game changer!
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I have the steiner lrf binos find them really good. There not leicas or swaros but there not far behind. Think the sigs are made in China which put me off buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by SIX5ENZD View Post
    I have the steiner lrf binos find them really good. There not leicas or swaros but there not far behind. Think the sigs are made in China which put me off buying them.
    I have the sig sauer 3000bdx and seem well built and reliable so far.
    They would be more reliable than anything made by vortex.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

After going from binos and a dedicated range finder to just range finding binos a while ago I would never go back now.
    Cordite likes this.

I'm a bush hobbit mainly so a dedicated RF and set of binos works for me, if bush stalking I just have the RF in my pack and leave the binos at home. If there is a longer shot presented I can grab the RF and go from there. Dont have to lug binos around the thick bush

Banned
    Who needs to range find all the time? I just sit, ping the furthest ranges and start glassing, then if something is seen I might need to ping a couple of markers for stalk - 450 here - stalk to big rock 210 away = shot will be 240 done. most times it can be memorised from the start. So separate range finder for me. Range finder binos are not as clear as their non range finder equivalent model - except for the latest and greatest
    Cordite likes this.

This thread actually highlights exactly why I would never buy a rangefinder/bino combo. You see the guys looking forward to the next new model? Why drop thousands of dollars on something that’s “outdated” a year down the track. Get yourself a good set of binos and you’re set with them for years. I also don’t like the thought of something going wrong with the rangefinder function on a combo unit and you end up with no rangefinder and no binos while issue is sorted. Hunters don’t need 9 million yard latest and greatest rangefinder technology every 12 months
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

MB
    Having just had an expensive item of electronic equipment crap out on me just outside the warranty period, I would not consider rangefinding binoculars unless there was a long, watertight warranty. Good quality, non-electronic binoculars should last a lifetime if well looked after.
    Moa Hunter likes this.