Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recommendations on precision 22lr

Recommendations on precision 22lr

Looking to trade up my 22lr to something more precision based. Have been looking at the offerings from ruger, cz, savage, bergara b14r and howa m1100. Shoot a savage as my long range/ hunting rifle and had liked the idea of same trigger on 22lr as a practice rifle. What other rifles would you consider or rule out? Cheers

a tikka t1x would probably be my top choice, relatively cheap so plenty of money for chassis/scope
    7mmsaum, ebf, kiwi303 and 1 others like this.

I have a ruger american in .22 mag and it's accurate as.

Depends upon your budget but you've already mentioned one leading option, the Bergara B14R. Add to that the Lithgow LA101 and if your really flush the Vudoo V22.

The bergara is at about the top end of the budget and wouldn't leave too much for accessories. Has anyone on here had much to do with the higher end savage rimfires or the howa m1100

Only trouble with Savage is that they produce so many, quality control can be a bit "hit and miss"!
    Having said that, I've see a couple of very accurate BV's and the BRJ is a functional and nice looking gun.
    I've done builds on two E receiver actions. Both function perfectly. One is a light weight sporter and is a good "carry" rifle. The other is a heavy barrel in a chassis - Really accurate rifle. I've had zero issues with either of these but you don't have to look far to find owners who have had assorted problems with Mark II's. Don't ask me about semi autos as I know nothing about them!

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=25735
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=25700

My Ruger American "Target" shoots very nicely, 5 consecutive groups average 0.542 @ 50 isn't to bad for any 22 that costs under $1000 new. I think you have to try them, when I bought the RART recently I also tried a Tikka T1x and a CZ457, to me the Ruger had the best action "feel" and the stock was the nicest.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Anschutz.
    Never owned one. But I'm going to.
    Amen Took me close to 10 years to find a lefty. Will be one of the last 2 rifles I ever sell...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Best thing is to go and play with a few
    Most good quality 22’s will be accurate some slightly better than others
    But you can have the most accurate rifle known to man but if it doesn’t fit you and your not comfortable shooting it it’s pointless because you’re not going to do it justice

For a good 22 id look at something that holds an accuracy guarantee normally 1moa at 50
    If they Guarantee the rifle to do that it often can to much better

Also 22’s don’t wear out like Center fire rifles
    Theres wax or oil on every round depending on the brand and the barrel gets a build up which will stop it from Corroding and the barrel will last Literally 100’s of Thousands of rounds

The main thing that wears out 22’s is improper care its an absolute misnomer you don’t need to clean a 22. you do… just not as often once a year is generally plenty even for high use target rifles.. not cleaning your barrel occasionally will eventually lead to carbon build up in the barrel and a loss of accuracy

However cleaning a 22 barrel is a risky Business it’s easy to damage a barrel During cleaning

Anyway what im getting at is sometimes you are better off buying 2nd hand lightly used and save some money so you can spend more on an optic
    mudgripz, Tentman and Micky Duck like this.

The .22LR target rifles are the ultimate in accuracy, but they are expensive and heavy. Second hand ones are more reasonably priced.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Try and find a leftie match 54 action repeater, is yours a match 64?
    Hehe, now you are talking about gold plated unicorn poop

Naa, mine is a 64 - 1416 - more of a hunting setup
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Here's what Lones Wigger, one of the all time USA greats says about cleaning a smallbore rifle

By Lones Wigger
    I feel very strongly about cleaning a smallbore rifle. I have, on several different occasions, had it proven to me that when a barrel fouls and started to lead, it will lose accuracy. After you have cleaned that barrel with a brush, solvent and patches, you can lie back down, shoot a couple of fouling rounds and immediately shoot the small groups you should be shooting.

How often should you clean your rifle?
    I think you should clean the gun after you shoot a box of ammunition. It probably doesn't need to be cleaned any more often than that. Some barrels seem to take longer to lead than others, and you can get by for a longer time before you lose accuracy. I prefer not to take chances so I clean regularly.

The lesson was once again proven to me at a small match I shot in preparation for Camp Perry. When I started shooting unacceptable groups at 100 yards, I got up, cleaned the rifle, and returned to shoot two tight 10-X groups, about a third of the size of the groups I had been shooting. That's pretty convincing evidence that barrels need to be cleaned.

I have an acquantance shooting a Bleiker (Google it). That person cleans after every outing which is probabaly 100 or so rounds.
    The big issues are people sawing away at the chamber with the rod thru lack of use of a good fitting guide, incorrect brushes, muzzle wear by poor technique.

I must admit that when I shot smallbore I never cleaned regularly because of the myth about taking zillions of rounds to regain accuracy.
    And maybe a touch of laziness thrown it. I shot with a Walther and an elderly Anschutz.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I went through similar not so long ago, I ended up with a browning t bolt

Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Looking to trade up my 22lr to something more precision based. Have been looking at the offerings from ruger, cz, savage, bergara b14r and howa m1100. Shoot a savage as my long range/ hunting rifle and had liked the idea of same trigger on 22lr as a practice rifle. What other rifles would you consider or rule out? Cheers
    Lithgow la101 all day every day. Groups like a small ore target rifle

I might be wrong here but don’t forget stock and friend shape in relation to how you determine accuracy. If you want to shoot tiny weeny groups over a BR on bags then some stocks are better than others.

I have a 1710 Silhouette that can shoot a very small group. But shooting 5 or 10 the same is more difficult with it than my m78 that has a square friend. Same with model 2’s.

A purpose designed stock or chassis system should be better for precision shooting?

I’m going to grab a Lithgow for Christmas and test my theory.
    zimmer likes this.